Are these as bad as people say?? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Are these as bad as people say??

Hello All,

I am looking to upgrade the family vehicle and we have wanted a Commander for a few years now. The plan was to let one of our current cars die and then start seriously shopping for a Commander. Well, as of today, I am at wits end with our primary car (Audi A4 Avant) and I think it is time to retire it. I did find what seems like a good deal for an 06 Limited (Hemi, Nav, leather, etc.) so I showed it to the lady. She then started reading a bunch of reviews and it is starting to scare us away. I know it sounds silly but while "window shopping" these complaints did not mean much, although now, as it is time for a replacement vehicle it is something we need to consider.

Here are some of the biggest complaints:

- Poor gas mileage, less than advertised
- Leaking roofs, do these often leak from the sunroof?
- Stalling.... I am not sure what they are referring to but it is often mentioned.
- Transmission failures
- Transfer case failures
- Seem like a lot of electrical issues, windows not working, overhead lights not working, false warnings on the dash, etc.
- Faulty air pressure sensors
- Poor AC

Adding this all up and coming from an Audi where I had very little problems until recently where it seems like it is crumbling to pieces (140k + miles) I do not want to step into a maintenance queen.

I understand that this forum is for fans of this vehicle and you probably have a biased opinion, are these as bad as people are reporting? Are there better years to buy? Are there certain things to look for?

I have done some searching on this forum and on the internet although I thought I would make this post as I MAYBE joining the club. Thanks!

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned
Points: 1,104, Level: 18 Points: 1,104, Level: 18 Points: 1,104, Level: 18
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRNTHVY View Post
Hello All,

I am looking to upgrade the family vehicle and we have wanted a Commander for a few years now. The plan was to let one of our current cars die and then start seriously shopping for a Commander. Well, as of today, I am at wits end with our primary car (Audi A4 Avant) and I think it is time to retire it. I did find what seems like a good deal for an 06 Limited (Hemi, Nav, leather, etc.) so I showed it to the lady. She then started reading a bunch of reviews and it is starting to scare us away. I know it sounds silly but while "window shopping" these complaints did not mean much, although now, as it is time for a replacement vehicle it is something we need to consider.

Here are some of the biggest complaints:

- Poor gas mileage, less than advertised
- Leaking roofs, do these often leak from the sunroof?
- Stalling.... I am not sure what they are referring to but it is often mentioned.
- Transmission failures
- Transfer case failures
- Seem like a lot of electrical issues, windows not working, overhead lights not working, false warnings on the dash, etc.
- Faulty air pressure sensors
- Poor AC

Adding this all up and coming from an Audi where I had very little problems until recently where it seems like it is crumbling to pieces (140k + miles) I do not want to step into a maintenance queen.

I understand that this forum is for fans of this vehicle and you probably have a biased opinion, are these as bad as people are reporting? Are there better years to buy? Are there certain things to look for?

I have done some searching on this forum and on the internet although I thought I would make this post as I MAYBE joining the club. Thanks!

Sam
Sam...most of the issues you are referring too seemed only common to the first model year build (the '06)...yes, generally a bit more troublesome but still a reliable vehicle. If your looking at an XK (Commander) for gas mileage then you'll be disappointed. I bought an '08 for a reason...they got more refined and the bugs got worked out in the manufacturing process on the newer ones...if you can afford to do it, I'd recommend an '07 or newer...as for HEMI, its a nice engine, but I have the 4.7 which got a huge jump in power in the '08 and up (305 hp) and they can be had for about a grand less than the HEMI models, and run very, very close to the same (maybe around .3 slower 0-60 mph)...of course, if you bolt on all the goodies like I've done, it ends up having the exact same power as the base HEMI. Lots of options...long story short, I'd recommend you buy an '07 or newer.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Points: 2,422, Level: 29 Points: 2,422, Level: 29 Points: 2,422, Level: 29
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

I agree, if gas mileage is a big concern than I would probably look elsewhere. I do love my Hemi, and recommend it if you are looking at a V8 Model. I have no problem getting between 18-20 mpg on the highway.

The 4 wheel drive system is the biggest reason why I went with the Commander and have not been disappointed.

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Stone White. 2" RC lift with Robby's spacers. Goodyear Duratracs 245/75/17. Magnaflow catback exhaust. AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Points: 2,549, Level: 30 Points: 2,549, Level: 30 Points: 2,549, Level: 30
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

I drive a 2006 sport with the 4.7L with all the options including nav and rear dvd. My wife and the kids love this vehicle. I can honestly say I am proud to be a jeep commander owner. The other plus is in the city I live in these are extremely rare. I have only seen 3 of them around in the last year I have owned it. I had my Starter replaced at 98k km's and fixed a broken rear turning signal wire That was cracked underneath the Jeep. Overall I can say this is a very solid vehicle.

Mike
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I too have 1 2006 and have had none of the listed problems, other than the gas mileage I find it to be one of the best purchases I have made and will keep it forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRNTHVY View Post
- Poor gas mileage, less than advertised [What do you expect from a brick on wheels?]
- Leaking roofs, do these often leak from the sunroof? [There is a drain on each side of the vehicle. Leaving the sun roof open, even in the "vent" position, allows foreign matter to get into the mechanism and plug the holes. A very easy fix when it happens.]
- Stalling.... I am not sure what they are referring to but it is often mentioned. [Never for me]
- Transmission failures [Never]
- Transfer case failures [Never]
- Seem like a lot of electrical issues, windows not working, overhead lights not working, false warnings on the dash, etc. [With all of the electronics in cars today, this can happen - moisture, but no common denominator with the Commander. I've had all of my dash warning lights come on, on numerous occasions, but the dealer can find no fault. A member in the UK diagnosed it to be the outside temp sensor mounted on the front of the radiator frame, but mine does not appear to be compromised.]
- Faulty air pressure sensors [I had one fail on a Jeep Liberty, but never on my Commander.]
- Poor AC [I think that the system was not designed correctly as any slight loss of refrigerant will cause a not so cold condition. I just check it once a year.]
Sam
Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum. I addressed your concerns in the bracketed responses. These Jeeps are based on the previous generation Grand Cherokee chassis, which was in production starting 2005, so the chassis is proven. I purchased mine new 4.5 years ago and just hit 45K. With the exception of a bad casting on the front differential, which caused a catastrophic failure, which was covered under warranty, I have experienced a trouble free vehicle. I wouldn't shy away from it just because it is an 06. But I would recommend that you obtain the complete service records, as you should with any used vehicle. Good luck.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

My 09 HEMI gets decent mileage, 13 city-19 highway. You have to get use to maximizing the MDS/VVT technology. I can tell when it is activating and I know just how much throttle it will take before it kicks out to 8 cylinders.

I have had "zero" issues in the year and a half I have owned it.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

I own 2 2006 jeep commanders a 3.7 and a 4.7 one v6 and a v8 the v6 is a little underpowered but for the reliability there awesome and you wont regret the off road cappabilities and these vehicles are very safe.

You wont regret buying one I only have good things to say about these vehicles any model any year there all good.

Thanks for thinking about buying one Connor

2006 jeep commander many mods.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64 Points: 9,325, Level: 64
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

I had and O6 3.7 liter v6. I had no issues and when it was stock/factory, i could get 19-20....with all my mods, extra weight and lift kit, i was getting about 15-16. pulling a camper loaded down i got about 9.
I loved that commander!
I only traded so i could get a LIMITED 2010, HEMI, with the Quadra Drive II 4x4 system. When this one was stock it got 20-22 MPG on the highway going 65 mph.
Around town it was 15-16.

Also when it was stock, it drove like your AUDI, or sports car-- very very quick and snappy....it would sit you back in your seat.(of course if you want good MPG, then curb the racing urges).
But then came all the mods and extra weight, lift kid, bigger wider heavier tires, and my Mpg...is not as good now....BUT thats my own fault...and i dont have it for MPG.

I have had no problems so far with either of my commanders.

i think those reports you read can be for any model of car. any car you read about will have a few with issues. its is a small percentage. I would concider get the newest year you can afford then get the extended factory warranty, and you wont have any issues to worry about.

ONE thing you may concider when worrying about MPG, is who you are hauling in your back seat. I have 2 year old. I am sure there are vehicle that get better mileage, but most of those rice burns will leave you crumpled into a tiny ball if you have a crash. I would rather take my chances in this rig.
If you want to read up and research this vehicle, read up on the safety features it has, especially the Electronic stabily program. Many new vehicle claim to have programs like this, but I know first hand that this is a very superior system. It have prevented me from a few near collisions, and in one case I credit this ESP system to saving my wife from a direct side impact. Any other car of the same size would have surely crashed but the ESP system saved us, and kept us from even contacting the other vehicle.

2010 Metallic Black Limited, HEMI, QD2, 1.5 inch Spidertrax,2.25 RR lift,Maxxis 265-75/17s, 4xG Matrix/receiver,bellyguard, front guard

Last edited by ped4599; 04-02-2011 at 10:03 PM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Points: 1,880, Level: 25 Points: 1,880, Level: 25 Points: 1,880, Level: 25
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Sam, i did a lot of research and read the bad reviews as well and still took a chance and bought one. it seems early 06's (built in late 05) had many of the prob u listed. My build date is 3/06. i am so happy i bought this jeep. i bought it with 48k now have 55k miles and no problems thus far. There is no guarantees with anything, but i was just telling my wife today how much i love this jeep, its perfect for me. Have a pre-purchase inspection done and see if you can drive it for a few days before you buy. Also, i test drove about 15 before i settled on this one, its just felt right all around. Hope this helps.

06 4.7 Limited 4x4, stock...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in