Really Neat Differential Demonstration! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,444, Level: 21 Points: 1,444, Level: 21 Points: 1,444, Level: 21
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Really Neat Differential Demonstration!

Hey, I know it's been a while, but I StubledUpon this and thought it might be interesting for you guys. It does a great job of breaking it down. I would have to ask you guys exactly what the more specific numbers are referring to when you discuss differentials. Pretty neat little flick none the less. Hope everyone's doing well, and if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 126000
Amazing how educational and relevant is is still today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Overland with all the options (including boulder-kissed bumper)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,444, Level: 21 Points: 1,444, Level: 21 Points: 1,444, Level: 21
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Definitely is... I'll be honest, it enlightened me. I'm assuming some of the figures like 3.73 and stuff refer to the gears.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned
Points: 1,104, Level: 18 Points: 1,104, Level: 18 Points: 1,104, Level: 18
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfTranscendentD View Post
Definitely is... I'll be honest, it enlightened me. I'm assuming some of the figures like 3.73 and stuff refer to the gears.
Yep, good assumption. 3.73:1 ratio equals 3.73 revolutions of the pinion gear (drives the axle) for every 1 rotation of the ring gear....higher the number of the pinion gear the larger amount of torque, lower the overall top speed of the vehicle will be.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

BUT, that depends on the gear ratios in the transmission, if you have gear ratios that turn the drive shaft faster, you can make up for that loss in top vehicle speed, but ratios spinning the driveshaft faster will reduce the torque.

Thats how OverDrive came around, to spin driveshafts even faster to improve engine economy or top speed of the vehicle, without having to sacrifice the torque "multiplication" of the lower gears and the axle.

Which brings you to Final Drive Ratio.

The axle ratio doesn't mean much without the ratios from the transmission. And the final drive ratio is the top gear multipled by the axle ratio.

Note: people like to talk about how the V6 has taller axle ratios, but the V6 has a different transmission, with different gear ratios for each gear, and if you were to do the math, you would find every gear, the final ratios are very close between the V6 and V8.

Don't Forget: Tire Diameter has a huge effect as well, the speed the vehicle moves per tire rotation changes with the tire diameter, so changing the tire diameter has an effect of the drive ratios, just as if you changed the axle ratio. That is why people that fit huge wheels/tires to a vehicle have to change the axle ratios or the vehicle drives like a dog.

It a linear relationship, so if you fit tires that are 10% larger in diameter, you'll see a 3.2% reduction in torque, 20% larger you'll see a 6.4% reduction, but improvements in top speed and mileage. (You may need to check my math on that, I may be wrong on the actual figures, and it actually might be worse).

And we haven't even gotten into rotational inertia.

Nor did the films get into LSD's. But basically, its NOT hard to imagine, in those films if you fit clutches inbetween the two axle, it would resist the two wheels moving at different speeds, but allow it to do so if the force was great enough to overcome the clutches, and it would also help limit the difference in speed between the two. The film didn't get into that first and simpliest "open" differentials, would sometimes let wheels spin at different speeds when you would NOT want them to do so. By limiting the slip between the two sides, you strike a compromise where you allow them to spin at different speeds when needed, but resist them spinning at different speeds when they should spin at the same speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
BUT, that depends on the gear ratios in the transmission, if you have gear ratios that turn the drive shaft faster, you can make up for that loss in top vehicle speed, but ratios spinning the driveshaft faster will reduce the torque.

Thats how OverDrive came around, to spin driveshafts even faster to improve engine economy or top speed of the vehicle, without having to sacrifice the torque "multiplication" of the lower gears and the axle.

Which brings you to Final Drive Ratio.

The axle ratio doesn't mean much without the ratios from the transmission. And the final drive ratio is the top gear multipled by the axle ratio.

Note: people like to talk about how the V6 has taller axle ratios, but the V6 has a different transmission, with different gear ratios for each gear, and if you were to do the math, you would find every gear, the final ratios are very close between the V6 and V8.

Don't Forget: Tire Diameter has a huge effect as well, the speed the vehicle moves per tire rotation changes with the tire diameter, so changing the tire diameter has an effect of the drive ratios, just as if you changed the axle ratio. That is why people that fit huge wheels/tires to a vehicle have to change the axle ratios or the vehicle drives like a dog.

It a linear relationship, so if you fit tires that are 10% larger in diameter, you'll see a 3.2% reduction in torque, 20% larger you'll see a 6.4% reduction, but improvements in top speed and mileage. (You may need to check my math on that, I may be wrong on the actual figures, and it actually might be worse).

And we haven't even gotten into rotational inertia.

Nor did the films get into LSD's. But basically, its NOT hard to imagine, in those films if you fit clutches inbetween the two axle, it would resist the two wheels moving at different speeds, but allow it to do so if the force was great enough to overcome the clutches, and it would also help limit the difference in speed between the two. The film didn't get into that first and simpliest "open" differentials, would sometimes let wheels spin at different speeds when you would NOT want them to do so. By limiting the slip between the two sides, you strike a compromise where you allow them to spin at different speeds when needed, but resist them spinning at different speeds when they should spin at the same speed.
? who was talking about trans. ratios or final drive ratios? I just plainly explained what 3.73:1 meant for him...lets not try to confuse people here Mongo. Some people aren't as mechanically oriented as either of us, sometimes the easiest answer, just the answer to the question asked works the best for them to understand. right? If they then ask about trans. ratios, overdrive ratios, what tire size (height) does to overall ratios then explain that separately.

Last edited by CommandSystemsGo!; 04-08-2011 at 12:12 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Quote:
... The film didn't get into that first and simpliest "open" differentials, would sometimes let wheels spin at different speeds when you would NOT want them to do so...
ie. at the 0:50 mark when an open differential would have been no more beneficial than the one wheel drive.

Great video, though. Even knowing the principals it's fun to see a rudimentary demonstration every once and awhile.

06 QT1, RC 2" Lift, 1.25" Wheel Spacers, 275/60/17 Hankook Ventus RH06 Tires, 20% Front Window Tint, Tinted Taillights and Front Turn Signals, DDM 6K HID lights, E&G Classics Grille, Debadged front, 1948 Studebaker 'Commander' Emblem Rear, Canvas/Slate Katzkin's Leather, Heated Front and Second Row Seats, CH-4100 4.5" DVD/NAV/iPod Headunit, 9" TView Rear Flip-Down Monitor, Accelvision RVC1100 Back-up Camera

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandSystemsGo! View Post
? who was talking about trans. ratios or final drive ratios? I just plainly explained what 3.73:1 meant for him...lets not try to confuse people here Mongo. Some people aren't as mechanically oriented as either of us, sometimes the easiest answer, just the answer to the question asked works the best for them to understand. right? If they then ask about trans. ratios, overdrive ratios, what tire size (height) does to overall ratios then explain that separately.
Don't take offense, I was NOT trying to contradict you in any way, only adding the additional information.

BUT, I take your point, I'm turning on a firehose when people have just put their lips up to the little stream at the fountain.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don't take offense, I was NOT trying to contradict you in any way, only adding the additional information.

BUT, I take your point, I'm turning on a firehose when people have just put their lips up to the little stream at the fountain.
No offense taken...your a vast "spigot" of knowledge...rock on!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
nice demo, interesting comments. Informational.

Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Tags
differential , video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in