Disconnecting bty for better MPG? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Disconnecting bty for better MPG?

So Monday of last week I put in new plugs and air filter thinking that MPG would change a bit and better then the 13MPG I was getting, I drove until last Friday and no changes at all. While packing up for a weekend trip last friday I remembered reading that disconnecting the bty would reset the computer and by doing so MPG would change. So while packing I disconnected the negative for 20 minutes or so, hooked it up again and off I went. I seen a change, HWY over 16 MPG and city now over 14 almost 15MPG depending on my foot. I'm not sure disconnecting is what made the change but if so it was worth the minute it took to disconnect and connect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

ok ill do that

2006 jeep commander many mods.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 57200
When I replaced my plugs, I had the battery disconnected during the switch. I put the new plugs in and reconnected the battery. Three days later I took the family on vacation. Traveling at interstate speeds, my mileage went from approx. 17.5 mpg to 20+. This did not last long however. I have read that the computer "relearns" it's emissions readings. After a month or so the XK settled back to the 16.5 to 17.5 highway mpg.

"Why is it that everything I find enjoyable is fattening, immoral, or illegal?"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therocks View Post
When I replaced my plugs, I had the battery disconnected during the switch. I put the new plugs in and reconnected the battery. Three days later I took the family on vacation. Traveling at interstate speeds, my mileage went from approx. 17.5 mpg to 20+. This did not last long however. I have read that the computer "relearns" it's emissions readings. After a month or so the XK settled back to the 16.5 to 17.5 highway mpg.
It learns your driving habits.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

So it will actually reduce your mileage to obtain better emissions ratings?

IndyMTB
---------------------------------
2010 Jeep Commander Limited/QDII,RC 2" Lift 255/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT
JBA UCAs, Bilstein front, Sensa-Trac F-150 rear
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymtb View Post
My understanding is that it adjust to your driving habit and so getting worse mileage would be due to a heavy foot or style of driving is what i was told. I am doing the same trip this weekend to the cabin and fishing so the roads will be the same. I will see by monday if there as been any changes and post the results.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

4WD
Current Mileage: 57200
We have not taken the XK on a long highway trip since that vacation. The driving done since the plug change settled back to more combo driving. I still only get about 17 on highway trips if i reset the dash gauge and check it over 60 miles or so.

"Why is it that everything I find enjoyable is fattening, immoral, or illegal?"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

I mentioned this in another thread but on a trip from Indianapolis to Atlanta and back, I averaged 18.8 mpg. This included about 5% driving in Atlanta itself. I went about 1-2 mph over the speed limit or about 72 most of the way, 67 in a 65. I thought that was good for a lifted jeep and having 26 boxes of swag for a trade show. It makes me wonder what it would have been if I had done a reset.

IndyMTB
---------------------------------
2010 Jeep Commander Limited/QDII,RC 2" Lift 255/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT
JBA UCAs, Bilstein front, Sensa-Trac F-150 rear
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymtb View Post
The engine controller tries to maintain 14.7:1 AF ratio for all operations except warm-up and Wide Open Throttle (WOT).

Compared to old carbeauted motors, this is a big improvement and you got better mileage while getting cleaner exhaust.

But, with todays technology, you could run motors much leaner and get much better mileage, but that would increase the emissions, so we get poorer mileage to keep cleaner exhaust.

The EGR, by diluting the incoming oxygen with some exhuast gas, will make the motor run leaner in the sense it uses less fuel for the same amount of power going out, but still keep the same apparent AF ratio of 14.7:1, since there is less oxygen. That is why disabling an EGR can result in poorer gas mileage.

BUT, what you folks are seeing is; pulling power from the PCM erases the volatile memory, it does the same as putting the PCM in quick learn mode.

The PCM is adaptive, it does more than adjust to driving style, it adjusts (tunes itself) for production variances in the motor, wear changes, ambient conditions, fuel, etc, etc....

As your old spark plugs were erroding away, the PCM was adjusting itself to compensate. You swap in new plugs, there may be some gain in retuning the motor for the new plugs, and the PCM will do it itself. BUT, pulling the power to the PCM and clearing all the old correction factors the PCM learned and stored to work off, its like putting it in quick learn mode and it adjustments the PCM makes have a greater effect faster.

If there has been no change to the motor, likely the PCM has learned all the best settings, and clearing the volatile memory would have the opposite effect, it would make the motor perform worse and get worse mileage until it has tuned itself/adjusted back to the correction factors prevously stored in it.

If people are getting improvements clearing volatile memory in vehicles that have had NO changes to the motor (and I have seen posts for other vehicles with people claiming to see improvements) its a fluke, or more likely a temporary condition where the motor is likely making more pollutions and with that better mileage/performance and will quickly tune its way back to what its setting where before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 04-25-2011 at 01:20 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Points: 4,099, Level: 40 Points: 4,099, Level: 40 Points: 4,099, Level: 40
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%

Thank you Mongo for Confiming my thoughts...still need the chip for sustained improvements to milage

2006 Jeep Commander 4.7L 4wd Loaded, 2" Daystar spacer lift, rear hitch tow hook, Custom 4" ram air intake, Optima yellowtop battery, semi-custom rock sliders, 245-75-R17 Goodyear Silent Armors, Hidden emergency lights all around (undercover cop look), bug deflector, stick-ons, and MUD occasionally.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My other ride:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in