tempermental shifting - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
tempermental shifting

Hello Everyone, New member here. I've gotten lots of help and insight this last year through your knowledge and expertise for my 2006 XK 3.7l 4x4 QT1. Bought used in Jan. 2010 and has 53k miles. I've been experiencing some very inconsistant shifting since owning this, especially going up long and windy roads. I'll be accelerating to the bend in the road at posted speed limits, or even turning right or left from straightaways, let off the gas to do the turns, and then resume acceleration. Sometimes it down shifts, and sometimes it up shifts. While it's deciding what to do, I have no control over the accelerator at all. I could push to the floor and nothing. Once it finds it's gear, everything is fine. Seems at times it doesn't know what gear to be in. The shifting is never hard, always smooth. Could this have something to do with tranny speed sensor? Any input appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhobll View Post
Could this have something to do with tranny speed sensor? Any input appreciated.
I think it is your ESP and/or Traction Control.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
I think it is your ESP and/or Traction Control.
I've turned the esp off and this still persists. I'm not too worried, again, the shifting is smooth, just kind of erratic at these times. Since I live in a hilly area, i'm always going through this.
Jeep 5253, do you know what the speed sensor does? Thanks for the response.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Points: 11,044, Level: 69 Points: 11,044, Level: 69 Points: 11,044, Level: 69
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

Have you disconnected the battery to have the XK's computer relearn you driving habits?

2008 Jeep Green Rocky Mountain 4x4 4.7L, 245/65 R17 Fortera's,
class IV tow package w/shackle, front tow hooks, remote start,
MyGig w/backup cam, bun warmers, commandview, QTII,
Rocky Road Super Sliders (now installed and tested!), no lift, full Jeep OEM skid plates,
4xGuard Belly Guard, 4xGuard front skid, Surco 50 x 70 roof rack.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
I've turned the esp off and this still persists. I'm not too worried, again, the shifting is smooth, just kind of erratic at these times. Since I live in a hilly area, i'm always going through this.
Jeep 5253, do you know what the speed sensor does? Thanks for the response.
I have no idea what a transmission speed sensor does, or if there even is such a thing. But there is a wheel speed sensor in each wheel well that senses the wheel/tire spin and if it detects slippage it activates the traction control.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Have you disconnected the battery to have the XK's computer relearn you driving habits?
Yes, I've disconnected the battery, still happens. I'm guessing there is some lag time between shifts during these travels. If the shifting was harsh or severe, I'd be very concerned. I'm just puzzled by the lack of acceleration at these times.

Jeep, thanks for the speed sensor update. Had a leak this past winter, saw fluid on the transmission pan and assumed the gasket was leaking. Bought a new gasket/filter kit and did the repair. but there was fluid still dripping on driveway. After further inspection, found this group of wires going into the tranny, wet, running down onto the pan. Had the repair done for $125. My mechanic replaced the wiring harness going to several controls inside. Thought he mentioned some sensor that guaged speed or something, not sure though. Way to advanced for me.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Points: 5,910, Level: 49 Points: 5,910, Level: 49 Points: 5,910, Level: 49
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Send a message via MSN to accipiter3
Quote:
Yes, I've disconnected the battery, still happens. I'm guessing there is some lag time between shifts during these travels. If the shifting was harsh or severe, I'd be very concerned. I'm just puzzled by the lack of acceleration at these times.

Jeep, thanks for the speed sensor update. Had a leak this past winter, saw fluid on the transmission pan and assumed the gasket was leaking. Bought a new gasket/filter kit and did the repair. but there was fluid still dripping on driveway. After further inspection, found this group of wires going into the tranny, wet, running down onto the pan. Had the repair done for $125. My mechanic replaced the wiring harness going to several controls inside. Thought he mentioned some sensor that guaged speed or something, not sure though. Way to advanced for me.
Mine was doing some pretty eratic shifting before going to "limp mode". The problem turned out to be frayed wires on the passenger side of the transmission going to the solenoids inside. They ended up shorting out; hence the limp mode. The cure was tape all the wires individually and then tape them together. Seems strange that they would leave individual wires leading to the transmission rather than putting them in a wire loom or binding them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Richard
Commerce City, CO
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

4WD
There's a guy at work that took his car to the dealer for regular service, not sure what he drives, and they told him there was an update they needed to install for the transmission. As a result, he gets much better gas on the hgwy, and its not shifting nearly as much. He attributed to previous frequent shifting to the 4cyl. engine.
I'm having frequent and inconsistant shifts as i've said in this first post. Any thoughts on the dealer "flashing" the computer to remedy this?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The flash update for the Chrysler Transmission in the Jeep, is for the 545RFE, that came with the V8, the Mercedes W5A580 does NOT have a flash update. I would confirm all this info, I could be wrong.

BUT, the flash update for the V8 trans, would actually lower mileage and let it shift more often, because the previous programming to improve mileage would leave the vehicle torque converter locked up to much and try to keep it in higher gears all the time, best I can tell from posts describing it, they made the trans act more like it should, downshifting sooner, which hurts mileage, but does make the vehicle respond more like people expect.

Transmission speed sensors, usually there are two, input and output, for the trans controller to monitor the trans, and if its in the right gear and if it is slipping how the clutches are engaging, etc. At least in older Chrysler's, if the computers recognized a bad speed sensor, it would throw a code, that would be readable by doing the key dance to spit fault codes out in the EVIC or Odometer. (And I know I sound like a broken record on this guys) But, Chrysler's increasing move toward making everything proprietary in their vehicles over the last decade, you can't rule out those codes are stored in a way they are only readable with the Dealer Proprietary Tool, there are a ton of codes like that now, more than in the past.

Checking for Fault Codes should be your first step in troubleshooting any suspected problem. Most of the time, if there is a problem, the controllers will spot them and set a fault code indicating what they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks for thorough explaination.
I'll go ahead with an appointment to have the dealer scan for codes, since i'm sure the hand held unit i borrow from advance auto isn't capable of reading these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in