40k milestone has been rough on my 06 - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,024, Level: 50 Points: 6,024, Level: 50 Points: 6,024, Level: 50
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

40k milestone has been rough on my 06

I have an 06 w/ the 5.7L that I've had since new. It's all all its regular maintenance either at a dealer or at a very trusted shop (I trust my shop way more than any dealer). Last week it went it and got new shocks (billsteins) + struts, a new wheel bearing that was making terrible noise and windshield wipers (second pair in a year, damn AZ heat). A month ago, Mander got a fresh oil change (Mobil 1), a transfer case fluid changed as well as a quick look over the fluid in the transmission (did not change that, it looked good). Basically in the last couple of months he has been well taken care of and brought back to like-new condition. Now today I'm sitting in a drive-through and I hear a weird ticking noise that sounds like the torque converter. When I drop off my Camaro tomorrow at the shop I'm gonna have him check that out too, every once in awhile the Mander goes into gear really hard, but it's not often and usually when it's been sitting for awhile. I was planning on taking the Jeep across the country in a couple weeks but now I'm not too sure.... It's looking like either the Camaro or the Z06 will have to come... Anyone else had these problems at 40k miles? The torque convertor is concerning to me, far more than anything else. If it is bad then Sean at Top Gear Motorsports in Mesa, AZ will get Mander again, and this time to work his transmission magic. Any advice though?

06 5.7L Limited Jeep Commander - Racetruck - Forged 6.4L
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Cadillac CTS-V - Opulent Blue - Manual, Recaros... all the options.
When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturate15 View Post
Any advice though?
Stop saying " Mander " and it will all be good.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

The only thing I can bro is you can't tell if your trans fluid is bad just by looking at it or smelling it. It should be changed based on mileage and use. Your mileage is over due I think the manual says 30K I'm to lazy to look it up though. Fluid at the end of its life can cause the issues your having. But I would have it checked out before you replace it or have your guy do the service and check it at the same time so your not wasting money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Saturate15,
I interpet your harsh engagement question as going from the park position to either drive or reverse.
My 07 4.7 (same trans) will engage sharply as well.....maybe one out of every three or four engagements.
Has since new and I pretty much have written it off as the nature of the beast.
I too have just crossed the 40k marker.
There is nothing in a torque converter that can make a ticking sound.
I suspect you are hearing a bit of lifter tick, magnified because it was echoing off the nearby walls.
This, if termed a soft ticking, is not uncommon with any engine, regardless of manufacturer.
You could probably hear it to some degree on your LS engines but with your mods.....NOT lol.

Although I can't fault maintenance, if you haven't been towing anything the manual does not yet call for a trans service......actually, without towing I can't figure out when they want it changed.
I'd be inclined to default to the old 'every 50k' interval.....mostly because I think it a good idea to get the filters changed.....in particular, the internal spin on one concerns me.

IMO, take the Commander and enjoy the trip.
Rob

|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

I am at 103,000 and taken the Commander CA to WI at least 3 round trips now. Probably more and no problems. I did have that limp mode problem a LONG time ago though and replaced transmission control module or solenoid or something. Some $300+ part and $300+ labor but that showed no signs or symptoms. No towing and probably need to get trans fluid filter service done. Thanks for reminder Robby!

'06 HEMI LIMITED LOADED QDII DE-BADGED, TINT, SILVERSTAR ULTRAS, LED TAILS, R/C LIFT, BILSTEINS, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS, DURATRACS, MAGNAFLOW, K&N CAI and OIL FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, HAWK HPS PADS, RED CALIPERS, LEDs BEHIND GRILLE

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

There is a TSB out that many of the early Commanders had a defective trans filter that would crack and let the anti-drainback valve leak, i.e. after it sits overnight or longer, all the fluid will drain out of the torque converter and back into the pan.

It is possible that would cause Noise and Harsh Engagements, it can also cause no motion for a few seconds or even more, until all the fluid is pumped back up into the trans.

Read the TSB, see if it applies to your Commander, I think the fix is simply change out the filters with new ones, which means a fluid change as well. This is for the 545RFE that comes with the V8, the V6 came with the Mercedes W5A580 trans, which did NOT have the problem. Confirm that even, I could be wrong and you may have a Mercedes trans with a V8 or a Chrysler Trans with a V6.

Read your O.M., they have changed the service intervals and some recommendations over the years, so some people's post are NOT correct for your M/Y Commander.

30k miles sounds awful early for a trans fluid change, at least according to my 2010 O.M. If you are towing havy loads and/or doing serous off-roading, I would change the trans fluid at 30k miles, regardless of what the O.M. says, those activities can destroy your trans fluid in one outing, changing the trans fluid more frequently than recommended is cheap insurance for an expensive trans, to counter the extremely tough usage you put the vehicle through.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in