Return of the Commander - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,349, Level: 35 Points: 3,349, Level: 35 Points: 3,349, Level: 35
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Return of the Commander

From a source in Jeep, rumor has it that the Commander just might return.

Anyone else hear anything?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

There has been talk of a Grand Wagoneer......this would be a Jeep version of the new Dodge Durango.
Since the Durango is nothing more than a long Grand Cherokee, makes sense.
Jeep would then have a 3rd row vehicle again.
As far as naming it 'Commander'.....I suspect that is still up in the air.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 126000
From about 4 months ago:

Quote:
Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Chrysler, has reportedly just announced his plans to bring an old American nameplate back to life. According to Automotive News, in two years time, Jeep will roll out a seven-seat SUV and its badge will read: Grand Wagoneer. According to Marchionne, it will be an upscale, seven-seat sport utility vehicle built on the same platform as the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango.

The Jeep Grand Wagoneer is slated to make its first appearance in January 2013, though whether that will be in conceptual or production form, we're not yet sure.

2007 Overland with all the options (including boulder-kissed bumper)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

The latest issue of Automobile has a rendering of the Grand Wagoneer - imagine a longer GC with an upright Commander grill and tail lamps! I think they should give it distinctive sheetmetal, unless their idea is more like the Tahoe/Suburban, which I think would be a mistake. In side profile, the Durango looks too much like the GC.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
The latest issue of Automobile has a rendering of the Grand Wagoneer - imagine a longer GC with an upright Commander grill and tail lamps! I think they should give it distinctive sheetmetal, unless their idea is more like the Tahoe/Suburban, which I think would be a mistake. In side profile, the Durango looks too much like the GC.
any chance you could post a pic of the sketch? I looked on Automobile's online edition and the Grand Wagoneer sketch isn't in there. I hope Jeep brings back the Commander because I don't think they are planning on doing a proper Grand Wagoneer if the plan is just to modify sheet metal and fitting it on top of the Durango chassis. Why doesn't Chrysler use the Aspen chassis for a 7 pax Jeep vehicle? I believe it's longer/wider than the current Durango.

2006 Limited, Light Khaki Metallic, Light Graystone/Dark Khaki Leather, HEMI, QDII, Rear DVD, REC Nav w/09 Database, woody side, EGR hood deflector, AEM Gun Metal Brute Force CAI, tilting rearview mirrors.
“I did not enter politics out of philanthropy but rather as an extension of my own annoyance at having inherited freedoms infringed by power-crazed idiots spouting gibberish”. Nigel Farage MEP; Leader, UK Independence Party
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedsntrees View Post
From a source in Jeep, rumor has it that the Commander just might return.

Anyone else hear anything?

Thanks,
See this thread: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15731&highlight=commander&page=2

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJorge View Post
any chance you could post a pic of the sketch? I looked on Automobile's online edition and the Grand Wagoneer sketch isn't in there. I hope Jeep brings back the Commander because I don't think they are planning on doing a proper Grand Wagoneer if the plan is just to modify sheet metal and fitting it on top of the Durango chassis. Why doesn't Chrysler use the Aspen chassis for a 7 pax Jeep vehicle? I believe it's longer/wider than the current Durango.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
4WD
Current Mileage: 126000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJorge View Post
I hope Jeep brings back the Commander because I don't think they are planning on doing a proper Grand Wagoneer if the plan is just to modify sheet metal and fitting it on top of the Durango chassis. Why doesn't Chrysler use the Aspen chassis for a 7 pax Jeep vehicle? I believe it's longer/wider than the current Durango.
1. Jeep will probably stay away from the Commander name because it is a recent slow seller ( a loser in their opinion). Grand Wagoneer conjurs up memories of the family outdoor trip from the old days.

2. It would make ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE for them to make an all new chassis when the Durango and GC already share one and the Durango is a 7 seater already. The Aspen/old Durango have not been made for a few years now and it's not coming back. It was an overweight, bloated mess and a styling nightmare in my opinion anyway.

Here's what the Grand Wagoneer will be based on comon sense and economincs: It will be a Jeep body on a Durango (7-seater chassis). It will have IRS and an available V-8. it will be upmarket in its luxury offerings.

The only real question is what it will look like - everything else is pretty much pre-determined.

2007 Overland with all the options (including boulder-kissed bumper)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

I rather liked the Durango. I traded in my 2000 for the Commander. I did look and/or test drive a new Durango before buying the XK, but I just couldn't get past that stupid looking bulbous front end. I also test drove a Wranger Unlimited a couple of times, and actually made a pro/con list between the Commander and Wrangler.

If Jeep really does build a Grand Cherokee like the picture Jeep5253 posted, that would be fantastic!!

As for the chassis, I suppose the Durango's undercarriage would work. I always thought the Aspen was a cheap version of the Durango, but I don't know about the chassis differences.

2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

I think it is an awesome idea. I bought the commander because it was bigger than my 2003 GC. My concern is that they will dilute the Jeep name. Already, the GC removed the ELSD in the front for QDII. Also, I think one of problems with the commander is that they gave it the 3.7 as stock which many lambasted as underpowered. I hope they give other options including the diesel rather than putting a smaller engine with 5+K body that gives nominal improvement in MPG.

IndyMTB
---------------------------------
2010 Jeep Commander Limited/QDII,RC 2" Lift 255/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT
JBA UCAs, Bilstein front, Sensa-Trac F-150 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in