New to Forum, TPMS problem - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Points: 841, Level: 15 Points: 841, Level: 15 Points: 841, Level: 15
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

New to Forum, TPMS problem

Hello my name is Jerry, I live in Missouri, just bought a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4x4 Quadra Drive II, 69,000 miles, DVD,Navigation, Integrated phone, Moonroof package, Brand new tires,Tow package, V8 4.7L(no hemi) and every single power option available, Leather, got it for $15,000, Trade in on this vehicle Excellent condition, and it is , was $16,400 NADA trade in value. One problem , need help, the tpms light indicator is not coming on but in the information center it says "service tire pressure system" where I bought it here in Missouri (Bommarito Honda) they are paying for me to take it Jeep Dealer to service this problem, well went there and they said all sensors are working just fine( even the spare) and they reset system drove it for 3 miles and "service tire pressure system" came back on, also in the information center I told them that the spot where it shows a picture of my jeep and how much pressure is in each tire the rear drivers wheel is reading for the front passengers wheel and the front passengers wheel is reading for the rear drivers wheel, dont know why system is not picking this up, yesterday just by chance I took and swapped them 2 wheels with each other and problem solved, still think that this cant be right because they said when rotating tires this should not happen, they said they will look at it again, HAS ANYBODY GONE THROUGH THIS AND WHAT IS THE CORRECT SOLUTION, PLEASE HELP, also am looking to buy some chrome dress up items if anybody has, intersted in fuel door,door handle covers, mirror covers,bug shield with Jeep logo, window rain guards, and nerf bars, looking for all these items in chrome, aluminum or stainless, and ear phones for dvd, catch all floor mats, and wheel well splash guards, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Jerry, anybody out there here in Missouri, I live by Washingtom Missouri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Welcome. I had the same issue with my 2003 Liberty Renegade. When you rotate the tires on the wheel specific TPMS, you have to reset them to the current position on the vehicle. The dealer walked around my jeep with a little gadget, reset each wheel, and problem solved! If the TPMS is the one that just tells you that a tire is low, but doesn't tell you which one, this proceedure does not have to be done. Just as a FYI, if the previous owner had a flat, and used that flat-fix stuff in a can, that gunk can screw up the TPS for good where it would have to be replaced.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
When you rotate the tires on the wheel specific TPMS, you have to reset them to the current position on the vehicle. The dealer walked around my jeep with a little gadget, reset each wheel, and problem solved! If the TPMS is the one that just tells you that a tire is low, but doesn't tell you which one, this proceedure does not have to be done.
There are several procedures that do NOT have to be done, at the same time the owner should be provided the ability to do it himself, and NOT be forced into the Dealership to pay them to do it. There are many more procedures that do have to be done, that Chrysler went out of their way to make sure it was practically impossible for the owner or independent shops to do it and force them into the dealerships.

Not jumping on you dhh3, yes, your just reporting the facts.

I'm a life long Chrysler owner and fan, couldn't love my Commander the way it is designed and built more, but I'm likely never will buy Chrysler Again. Why, the Corporate's unethical policies exploiting consumer ignorance. If they keep up the current trend, 2012 models will come with proprietary bolts that only the dealers have the wrenches to use.

But, unlike bolts its a lot harder reverse engineering software than it is a wrench, and because of that Chrysler bends the owners and independent shop industry over a barrel and forces us to go to the dealer as our only option.

If I purchase a Chrysler Vehicle, I should have every right to rotate the tires myself, and have the TPMS indicate the pressure at the correct tire, without having to go into the dealer and spend an hour waiting to pay them $100 to spend one minute with their proprietary tool to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Points: 841, Level: 15 Points: 841, Level: 15 Points: 841, Level: 15
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Did not work

I went to the dealer and they walked around the vehicle with that little box and reset and it did not work and yes mine does tell you which tire is low and all my sensors are working HELP
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
There are several procedures that do NOT have to be done, at the same time the owner should be provided the ability to do it himself, and NOT be forced into the Dealership to pay them to do it. There are many more procedures that do have to be done, that Chrysler went out of their way to make sure it was practically impossible for the owner or independent shops to do it and force them into the dealerships.

Not jumping on you dhh3, yes, your just reporting the facts.

I'm a life long Chrysler owner and fan, couldn't love my Commander the way it is designed and built more, but I'm likely never will buy Chrysler Again. Why, the Corporate's unethical policies exploiting consumer ignorance. If they keep up the current trend, 2012 models will come with proprietary bolts that only the dealers have the wrenches to use.

But, unlike bolts its a lot harder reverse engineering software than it is a wrench, and because of that Chrysler bends the owners and independent shop industry over a barrel and forces us to go to the dealer as our only option.

If I purchase a Chrysler Vehicle, I should have every right to rotate the tires myself, and have the TPMS indicate the pressure at the correct tire, without having to go into the dealer and spend an hour waiting to pay them $100 to spend one minute with their proprietary tool to do it.
At the time I had this done, I drove into the service lane. The tech walked around my Jeep in less than a minute, stopping for about 10 -15 seconds at each wheel. He told me the gadget was a "magnet". Maybe a proprietary magnet, but a magnet just the same. Total cost: $0. I do not know how these systems work, but my guess would be that each TPS sends a signal to the receiver - then, maybe like radar, a return signal. The length of time of signal return would dictate to the receiver the location of the tire in question. Now, in their infinite wisdom, if the engineers actually put the receiver in the exact center of the vehicle (wheelbase and track), there would be no need for this "magnet". The TPS's are probably interchangeable between vehicles, but I highly doubt that the receiver is located in exactly the same place on every vehicle. Concerning your rant, this is the kind of crap that I don't miss since I sold my Jeep and don't frequent this site much.. Although there is not much happening on the Nitro Forum, at least I'm no longer exposed to these rants. He asked for some help, and I offered him said help, to the best of my ability. Have a great day.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I have NEVER had to have my sensors tuned and I move my tires around al the time. At one time I had 15 wheels and tires depending on the road surface and all I did was switch tires and drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
When I had a flat while off roading, the system first kept reporting that low tire location incorrectly for about 15 minutes after swapping it for the spare until it reset itself and then worked correctly.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Yeah, the XK doesn't require resetting the sensors after rotation... there's a proximity receiver in each wheel well that picks up the closest tire for the reading.

Are your wheels stock? Sensors for the XK are model year dependent. I wonder if the previous owner swapped wheels at some point and has sensors for a later model year, thereby throwing the system off.

-Matt
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
Yeah, the XK doesn't require resetting the sensors after rotation... there's a proximity receiver in each wheel well that picks up the closest tire for the reading.
This makes sense. Thank you for the information. Do you know if earlier versions did not have this proximity sensor? I learn something new every day.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

I thought all XKs were this way and possibly the WK as well. I'm not sure how far back this system goes for Chrysler. I like it much better than the TPMS system in my GMC where I had to "train" the sensors after each rotation. It wasn't difficult to do.... but just an added step. And people on the forums always complained they couldn't get it to work, but I think that was operator error on their part. I never had an issue with resetting my TPMS and went through 4 different tire/wheel combinations, all with different sensors.

Ill have to check my wife's Liberty.... haven't done a rotation on that yet and I know she's almost due. That's an 08 though.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in