Wheel Binding / Rubbing in front end? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Wheel Binding / Rubbing in front end?

Hi - I own a 2006 Commander Limited Hemi.36k miles. I purchased it brand new & it's never been off roading and/or switched into HI/LO gears. About 6 months ago (at 32k miles) I noticed a clunking noise in the front end and had problems with the steering with the first few initial turns when starting the vehicle up. My mechanic replaced the inner & outer tie rod & sway bar bushings. Now at 36k miles the problem is back and worse than before. The first few times you turn, especially noticed when backing up and turning out of the driveway, the front wheels feel as if they are rubbing or binding up and it makes a grinding noise. Original factory tires are still on the vehicle so I know it's not the tires. After a few turns the problem goes away until it's started again. The vehicle is not leaking any fluids. Any ideas here??? Overall, the vehicle has had more problems than expected out of a $42k vehicle. I saw something online about changing the oil in the transfer box and or possibly a bad transfer box that can cost over $2k to fix. I also read on one forum that one owner replaced the transfer box 3 times & still had the same problems. Any suggestion here is greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know if there is any risk involved in continuing to drive the vehicle this way? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Turn off the traction control and road test.
Your description sounds like a wheel speed sensor is failing.......this will essentially take it out of the equasion.
If the problem is gone, a wheel sensor has failed.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck. I guess I can rule out the wheel speed sensor.
Any other ideas? Thank you.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Called a few different Jeep dealers today - two of them were no help. One dealer thought the power steering system might need to be flushed?? Any suggestions or experiences are appreciated.

Last edited by KimO; 06-06-2011 at 01:18 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Do you have the stock tire/wheel size on the vehicle, or have put bigger tires/wheels (overall diameter) on it?

If its the EBCS/EPS, it would be brakes grabbing causing the binding you feel.

If its the ELSD or XFR Case, it would be driveline cltuches grabbing when they shouldn't or CV/Universal Joints binding, it would be the driveline and tires binding up.

Yea, tough to tell the difference. I guess you could try to recreate it on a loose "off-road" surface, if its driveline binding, tires will slip and slide, brakes will still grab.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mongo. The problem is in the transfer case. Dealer recommended we flush it twice to see if that took care of the problem, did so. $200 later in the parking lot of the dealership it's still having the same problems. They determined the transfer case needs to be replaced, $2220! That hurts on a car with 36k miles, never been off roading, in mint condition still, warranty expired
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimO View Post
Thanks Mongo. The problem is in the transfer case. Dealer recommended we flush it twice to see if that took care of the problem, did so. $200 later in the parking lot of the dealership it's still having the same problems. They determined the transfer case needs to be replaced, $2220! That hurts on a car with 36k miles, never been off roading, in mint condition still, warranty expired
Many Jeep owners have had the transfer case clutches get grabby.
Since it cannot be further damaged, have the dealer (or someone) put the limited slip additive for the ELSD differential into the transfer case and drive it for a few hundred miles.......I have had about a 8 out of 10 success rate doing this.

Rob

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in