Broke fog light "door"...here's a quick fix - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,589, Level: 37 Points: 3,589, Level: 37 Points: 3,589, Level: 37
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Broke fog light "door"...here's a quick fix

I know this has happened to a few of you on here, so I thought I would share what I did to fix mine. I broke one of my fog light bulbs and was in the process of replacing it. I carefully pryed open the "door" inside the wheel well with a screwdriver, but somehow still managed to break the door right off. I didn't like the thought of leaving the door off and having everything exposed to dirt, snow, sand and everything else I face up here in Maine, so I tried to come up with a solution. I went to Home Depot, bought a couple of small silver hinges that you would use on a cabinet door and proceeded home. I put a couple coats of black paint and an enamel on the hinges and screw heads, so they would blend in with the wheel well liner. I am very pleased with the end result and may actually cut the door off on the passenger side and do the same. Here are a couple of pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-04_19.34.24.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	4772   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-04_19.33.55.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	4773  

2010 Black Sport 3.7: 2" RC Lift, 255/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, 17" V-Tec's, de-badged, vent visors, shorty antenna, tinted windows and lights, Aries brush guard, Mopar tail light guards, 130w KC Daylighter driving lights, JVC DVD/Nav unit with backup camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Ended up breaking both of mine off in the process of removing the bumper. I drove off and forgot to close them. I still have one of the doors, but I lost the other one somewhere on the road probably. Is there any downside to not having them on there? Are there components that are exposed now that shouldn't be? What if I just put duct tape over the openings and left it like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in