Drive by wire - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Drive by wire

I was looking on a Commander spec site and noticed the text to say drive by wire was added in 07. Does that mean all 06 Commanders have an accelerator cable? Then, did all Commanders go to drive by wire in 07 or did the 4.7 wait for the makeover in 08 to get an electronic accelerator?

I had some real problems with my Patriot 5-speed manual being to slow to respond on hills and typical problem places for driving a manual transmission. I cured it with a costly little gizmo called a "sprint booster" which amplifies the pedal signal so the engine responds faster. Personally I prefer a cable.

Thanks

J67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Well, you just have to open the hood and look at the throttle body to confirm it. No throttle cable, no cruise control cable, plus the drive by wire TB looks different, instead of TPS, IAC, (each with their own connector), throttle lever, vacuum take-offs on it, there is just a big plastic body with a big triangular shaped box on the side of it, with a single big electrical connector to it.

The Commander only came with Automatics, I don't think a "sprint booster" would be necessary. As well, you can argue its better on the automatic trans to operate the throttle smoother with DBW than a direct cable where some people just mash the pedal.

Although I'd be interested in hearing the results if someone wanted to try a "sprint booster" on a Commander.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

The breakdown goes like this if memory serves.
In 06, only the Hemi was drive by wire.
In 07, drive by wire was added to the 3.7 V-6......the 4.7 remained cable operated.
In 08, the 4.7 recieved dual plug heads, 70 more horsepower, and electronic throttle control.
09, no changes.
2010, 4.7 dropped from Jeep lineup.....3.7 V-6 or 5.7 V-8 were the only engine choices.

Rob

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

That is what I was curious about. Thanks!

Mongo, I agree, it would be a waste of money using a SprintBooster on an automatic. I did not buy mine for performance, but simply to avoid the rolling back after letting the clutch out while the computer was thinking about telling the engine to go. I will say though the SprintBooster completely cured the problem to my satisfaction. It responds instantly just like a linkage/cable accelerator now.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Yep, for a Manual Trans, I could see how a DBW could lack the response you want. I drive my Neon R/T w/5spd Manual like its a viper, just doing quick shifts to pass or accellerate quickly I bet I'd find the DBW to be lacking in responsiveness I would want. At 2350lbs it is less than half the weight of my Commander, that little 4cyl will shock you how quick it makes that lightweight vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in