Hello from First Time Jeep Owner - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hello from First Time Jeep Owner

I posted in the Owner Registration Sticky as well but wanted to hop on into the General Forum ring to say hello to all of you...

Just picked up our new to us 2009 Commander Limited Hemi this week! We have been stuck in a Ford rut for years being forced to go back to Ford due to X-Plan and us driving over lease mileage and having to get miles waived and into a new Ford just to have the cycle start over. NOT THIS TIME... I finally broke the cycle when we bought our 08 Eddie Bauer Explorer off lease and flipped it to a private seller because we had decent equity in it (believe it or not). So we had a clean slate and could get anything we wanted (within budget)! First time ever.

My wife and I have a 10 month old son (Miles) and a Golden Retriever (Brody) so we needed a family hauler. We live in NE Ohio and we have a beach vacation home that we put jet skis in and out off the beach so 4x4 is a must.

I think my wife and I drove just about every possible SUV out there... looking for a CPO (certified pre owned) all the way. No more lease and no more new. After all the choices and test drives... we actually came down to two options which were sorta opposite spectrums: 2009 Jeep Commander and Acura MDX! Well after exhastive research and drives and some dealing the Jeep had a new home. In the end the Jeep had the most bang for the buck, looked the best and drove pretty spectacular... plus the MDX has the AWD and no 4LO and they charge for every extra thing the Jeep already had on it not to mention maintenance/parts costs being 5 times higher if something did happen to the Acura. In the end it was an easy choice as we have always wanted a Jeep. My wife loves the looks... she is one hot jeep driving mom now! No minivans here...

Honestly we love the look as is..., but I can't wait to start finding some accessories for it. Just purchased a set of Weathertech Mats for it and got the OttoStep for my Golden as the back sits a bit higher than our Explorer did.

One question on regular maintenance... the dealer just did an oil change and the Jeep only has 20K miles on it... so I am good for a while but it seems like most use the Mobil 1 brand filters and synthetic oil for changes in the Hemi (or royal purple). What about K&N lifetime air filters? Anyone use these? Any help on simple maintance "best bets" would be great... Looking to keep this Jeep a long time!

-Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	klc-2171_1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	4819  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009 Jeep Commander Limited 4x4, Hemi 5.7L, Loaded with all options (Nav., DVD, Heated front and rear Leather Seats, Command View Roof, Roof Rails, Appearance Package, Tow Package, Remote Start, MyGig, Third Row, Backup Camera, heated mirros, etc... ) Brilliant Black Pearl with Dark Slate Interior. WeatherTech Liners with OttoStep for my Golden Retriever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,454, Level: 100 Points: 59,454, Level: 100 Points: 59,454, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Welcome to the forum. Make sure they used 5w20 oil in it or the MDS will not work properly. Join the HEMI group here---> https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/group.php?groupid=24

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 06-30-2011 at 10:50 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!... I will double check the oil change. It is a Jeep Dealer as it was a Certified Pre-Owned so I would hope they would use the right fluids during the certification process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009 Jeep Commander Limited 4x4, Hemi 5.7L, Loaded with all options (Nav., DVD, Heated front and rear Leather Seats, Command View Roof, Roof Rails, Appearance Package, Tow Package, Remote Start, MyGig, Third Row, Backup Camera, heated mirros, etc... ) Brilliant Black Pearl with Dark Slate Interior. WeatherTech Liners with OttoStep for my Golden Retriever!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
Thanks!... I will double check the oil change. It is a Jeep Dealer as it was a Certified Pre-Owned so I would hope they would use the right fluids during the certification process.
I could be wrong, but I don't think they change the fluids or do any servicing as part of the certification process, I think its more of an inspection and a marketing gimmick.

Eitherway, next oil change, make sure its 5W20 and use a good quality oil and filter, of course that gets subjective for some. I use Mobil1 oil, couldn't find it in the right viscosity for the last oil change so I used Valvoline Synthetic 5W20.

Mobil1 oil filters are expensive and really overkill, I get Hasting Oil Filters, they are one of the best, and far cheaper than Mobil1. If you have an autostore near you carries Federated Oil Filters, they are Hastings with a different Logo painted on them and a couple dollars cheaper.

If the MDS doesn't seem to be working correctly, how cheap an oil change is, I would do one just to make sure it was correct.

Last edited by Mongo; 06-30-2011 at 08:36 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,454, Level: 100 Points: 59,454, Level: 100 Points: 59,454, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
We have had forum members who have had their fluids changed at a Jeep dealerships and the incorrect fluids were used. You also have to use specific coolant and tranfer case fluids.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 07-11-2011 at 03:18 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

K&N filter and others like are fine. Just make sure you buy the stuff to clean and treat them properly they are life time filters but there not maintenance free. With the miles you have you are approaching 30k service. Start some research now and do the work your self and save like 90% of your money of dealer prices, besides you feel better when you do the service your self.

Stop by and like the page

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73

Nice! You'll love the hemi.

IndyMTB
---------------------------------
2010 Jeep Commander Limited/QDII,RC 2" Lift 255/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT
JBA UCAs, Bilstein front, Sensa-Trac F-150 rear
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies... so far love the hemi even happy with the gas mileage. I was only getting 18 on my Explorer average and that vehicle was no where near as cool as the commander!

The dealership gave me copies of the Certification report and all work done as required. New brake pads and rotors turned, oil change, tires rotated, air filter changed, they replaced the rear glass liftgate handle assembly (must have not worked) and completed the required 125 point inspection... doesn't indicate the type of oil (just says according to manufacturer specs.

I will do an oil change sooner than later with Mobil 1 or hastings filter and synthetic 5w-20. How do i know the MDS is working properly? I can't seem to tell anything is different when driving highway speeds.

One question I have... is the brakes do appear a bit squeaky up front when rolling to a stop light. They rechecked them before I left the lot and said the rotors had developed some surface rust from sitting in the lot during the last few weeks of rain. They said it should clear off in the first 500 miles or so and if not they would take another look... does that sound likely? I can see the surface rust on the rotors and calipers a bit from sitting but I have never had new breaks squeak. Anything I can spray to speed up the process of clearing the rust off them? Thanks!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

lawdog,
The rotors should clean up in less than 50 miles of around town type driving.
Quality brake pads breaking in sometimes are noisey till fully bedded in.....this likely is the 500 mile suggestion.
There is nothing I can recommend spraying on the rotors to speed the process.....just give it a chance.

Welcome aboard.

Rob

|
|
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Just got back from vacation with the Jeep. Put about a thousand miles on it this past week. We had lots of fun and are really enjoying the Jeep! I even took it for a short beach cruise to get a small taste of some off road action and she did not disappoint. That soft sand was no match... lots of looks driving around town with the Jeep. I must say this is one eye catching vehicle... the black pearl paint is killer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in