Will insurance cut me a check? What does everyone think? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Points: 566, Level: 11 Points: 566, Level: 11 Points: 566, Level: 11
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Will insurance cut me a check? What does everyone think?

So heres the story. We had a pretty wicked hail storm last week and my commanders hood and roof took a pretty bad beating. The hood is awful but the roof I can live with.

My insurance company told me to take it to a body shop and get an appraisal so they could go from there but I was wondering about a few things...

1. Will they cut me a check? or the body shop?
2. Can I just get my hood replaced and pocket the rest of the cash to use on my commander for more fun things?
3. Is ^ that legal?
4. Will the body shop be pissed that I only want to get certain things fixed and not all of it?

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

It would be nice to have some extra cash to throw towards a lift and some tires.

Thanks for everyones input in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

If you have a lien on the vehicle then the insurance company will " usually " cut a check made payable to both you and the shop. I say " usually " because they don't always do this, in fact State Farm cut me a check once when I had a lien on my Civic. The reason they make the check out to you and the shop is to be sure that the vehicle is repaired to protect their investment. If they happen to cut a check made payable to just you then you are free to cash it and do whatever you want with the money. If you only want to replace the hood then you can do that. If its a 3 party check then they will expect you to have the shop do a complete repair, anything less is insurance fraud. If you get a check and cash it , the body shop won't get their feeling hurt if you only want to replace the hood, you will be the customer and have the right to have them do whatever job you would like. If I was going to file a claim to repair my Jeep then I would have a complete repair done. Why would you not want to repair the whole thing ? Also, look into getting as much as possible repaired by " paintless dent repair ". This process has become very popular with insurance companies and they can have amazing results with hail damage.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
You can ask them to cut the check in your name alone.
Depends on amount and lien.
Doesn't hurt to ask, sometimes they will ask you who you to whom should
the check be written....

The hood is fiberglass, right? will the dentless system fix it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
You can ask them to cut the check in your name alone.
Depends on amount and lien.
Doesn't hurt to ask, sometimes they will ask you who you to whom should
the check be written....

The hood is fiberglass, right? will the dentless system fix it?
The hood is aluminum.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Well, while im not totally up to date on my insurance terms, I dont think a lein is involved because the vehicle is paid off totally.

My brother had his car stolen a few months ago so our insurance company is not thrilled with our family to say the least. I'm a bit apprehensive to just ask them to write a check in my name because I dont want them to drop us or something.

Im just waiting to hear back from the body shop today and then I guess its all in the hands of my insurance as far as what they want to do...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Since your Jeep is paid off then if you file a claim the insurance company has no choice but to cut a check payable to you. Whether the want to drop you after the fact is a different situation entirely.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbs View Post
Well, while im not totally up to date on my insurance terms, I dont think a lein is involved because the vehicle is paid off totally.

My brother had his car stolen a few months ago so our insurance company is not thrilled with our family to say the least. I'm a bit apprehensive to just ask them to write a check in my name because I dont want them to drop us or something.

Im just waiting to hear back from the body shop today and then I guess its all in the hands of my insurance as far as what they want to do...
Since there is no lien, you should get a check, and you can do with it what you want. Your brother's policy should have no effect on you, unless you have a shared policy. However, if you make a claim, they could raise your rates, or possibly your deductible. Insurance Company's like you to give them $: they really don't like to reciprocate!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Even though a relative had a claim it should not have any effect on you.
A policy written on one car is just that......a claim on that policy, not your family name.

This is a comprehensive claim....act of God......it should not have any effect on your rates or insurability.

Because you own the vehicle, a check will be written to you.
In addition to your body shop I strongly recommend a paintless dent repair estimate for your protection.
Sometimes, body shops will estimate low to get the job, planning on a add order during the repair. Add checks are written directly to the body shop.

The check will be for the total amount of damage, less your deductable.

Regarding the paintless dent repair folks....I have seen some amazing results straightening panels that I thought sure were done for.....and one of them was the aluminum hood on my own Commander.
I had the same situation just a bit over a year ago.....State Farm to the rescue.
Worked out fine.....and trust me, anal is an understatement when I look over a repair.

I can see no evidence of repair......hope you have the same good fortune.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for everyones replies I learned a lot today haha.

Just a bit of an update, the shop quoted the damage total parts/labor/paint 6500 bucks and change, which is a lot more than i expected!

I forwarded the quote to my agent so now I guess I wait to see if they send an adjuster over my way or just the check (hopefully).

If this works Ill get the major points repaired (hood mainly) and then have some left over to buy toys for my commander!...perfect excuse for a lift and some wheels/tires.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Points: 3,113, Level: 34 Points: 3,113, Level: 34 Points: 3,113, Level: 34
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

Just tell the adjuster you want a cash in lieu of repairs settlement. This means you will get a check for the the amount of the damage to the Commander and you can choose what you want to fix. You just need to understand what is not fixed they will not pay you for again if you have another claim. Make sure your agent is aware of the repairs you do so the company knows what has been fixed for future claim settlements. This type of settlement is very common with hail claims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Tags
commander , damage , hail , insurance , money

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in