First time Jeep owner. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Points: 170, Level: 3 Points: 170, Level: 3 Points: 170, Level: 3
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

First time Jeep owner.

I want to start off by saying how much I appreciate the knowledge I have read on here. I just now registered but I have been lurking around reading different posts and it has truly helped. It started with tires. I have an 06 Commander and wanted to upgrade my tires a bit. I was looking at the Goodyear Authority's until I read the reviews on here. I ended up getting the BFG Rugged Trail as I use my Commander for work and have to travel from state to state and do some off roading when I get there. Yesterday I took the Commander places I never DREAMED it would go. I am a jeep owner for life now. I was totally impressed what the Jeep did with just the 3.7. My next add on is a Rough Country 2" Suspension lift that I just got in today. I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all who have posted info on here. I will put some pics up as soon as I get the lift on. Also how hard are the lift kits to put on. Im pretty mechanically inclined and have rebuilt engines and do all my own work within reason so I dont think I will have much trouble....thoughts???/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Welcome to the Forum. Here is the introduction thread---> https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

The lift is pretty straight forward. If you have that much ability and the tools it should take you about 3 hours. You just remove the struts and rear springs and put the spacers on top and then reinstall it all.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Points: 170, Level: 3 Points: 170, Level: 3 Points: 170, Level: 3
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

Thanks for the info. I thought as much but wanted to make sure there wasnt some little piece of handy info out there floating around that I needed to know.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Some tidbits : the RC lift has steel spacers as opposed to another brand that at one time used a poly spacer - that is a good thing.
The spacers are basically two steel flanges that are spaced apart by the steel cup. On the front, the strut studs go up into the spacer and bolts up, putting the spacer on top of the strut. The assembly then bolts up into the strut pocket in the uni-body. The strut studs may need to be ground down about a 1/2 in. or so to fit into the spacer. No big deal really.
A spring compressor will come in handy. Its not a necessity but I used one and it makes it a lot easier.
Make sure you get an alignment after install. The instructions in my kit did not mention this.
Check all bolts after you drive it for a couple of days to make sure everything is tight.
This would be the time to change out the shocks and or struts also. I didnt need to but its something to think about.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

welcome to the forum

2006 jeep commander many mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in