Possible exhaust leak noise? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Possible exhaust leak noise?

I've been noticing recently that my XK is sounding like it has a small exhaust leak on the driver's side. When I start it up from cold or after its been sitting for a while, I hear the infamous "chug, chug, chug" of a typical exhaust leak. I can also hear it under acceleration with the windows open, but not when they're closed. The noise also goes away when the engine fully heats up.

I opened the hood today after I started the engine, and it sounds like the noise is coming from the top rear of the engine. I was at work and alone, so I couldn't do a great job of pinpointing the noise. I have had the truck on a lift and felt around the exhaust system, but nothing seems loose anywhere in the system from the manifold/Y pipe flanges back. The manifolds also appear to be solidly connected to the block.

I feel that this is a small leak that goes away through metal expansion, but would like to get it fixed so I don't have the annoying noise! If I wanted to sound like a carbed '78 Ford V8, I'd own one of those! I'm going to try to listen around with a length of hose and my wife pressing the throttle so I can find the noise this weekend and try to be a little more precise about this.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:14 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Although I have not personnaly had this on my 4.7 it seems like several of the 4.7's have had gasket failures at the head/manifold mounting point.
Each one described had one or more mounting bolts break off.

Your description, specifically the 'gets quieter as it reaches operating temperature' lines up with a not fully secured manifold heat expanding a resealing itself.

If your 06 has the lifetime powertrain coverage, it would be a covered repair.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
robby, thanks for the info, I'll look into that tomorrow. Since mine's an 06, it doesn't have the lifetime powertrain warranty.

Now I need to find a good muffler shop in Alexandria. Any suggestions?

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Points: 9,702, Level: 66 Points: 9,702, Level: 66 Points: 9,702, Level: 66
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
Although I have not personnaly had this on my 4.7 it seems like several of the 4.7's have had gasket failures at the head/manifold mounting point.
Each one described had one or more mounting bolts break off.

Rob

Hi Robby. I came across this old post while searching. I just found out I have two broken bolts on the drivers side of my truck where the manifold meets the head. Is this something I can drive with while I save up the $$
to get it repaired? I noticed it a couple weeks ago and it's behaving just as the above poster's was....quietens down a great deal after warmup.
Thanks

'06 silver 4.7 4x4, 2" Rough Country lift, 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 17 x 8.5 MB V-Drive wheels, AEM Brute Force CAI, Optima Red Top, Bilstein HD struts up front, and a couple really cool stickers that add somewhere between 10-13 HP
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

I got my 4.7 2006 about 4 weeks ago and now you guys got me wondering...

When going up a hill or using a lot of power, mine kind of sounds like a heavy duty lawnmower. I think the term to describe it would be "throaty"?

When using a lot of the engine's power and going up a hill or when I really stomp the peddle or am accelerating quickly it kind of sounds like a fast paced "chug chug chug chug..."

I have not driven another v8 commander before so I don't know if this is normal or not. I do know that my last v8 pick up truck didn't sound anything like this.

Could it be an exhaust leak or issue?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Points: 1,156, Level: 18 Points: 1,156, Level: 18 Points: 1,156, Level: 18
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

I have the leak too, on the passenger side. I once replaced this gasket on a 2000 F150 and it was time consuming. I looked yesterday at how big of a job this would be and I won't attempt it. I do most all my own work to my vehicles, but not this time! Luckily, we just bought the 06 4.7 a month ago and it has a 3 month/3000 mile warrenty that covers 100% of labor and parts. Guess who I'm calling monday morning?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

How can you tell if you have a leak in the exhaust? Like I said in my post before, when I really give it some gas and put the peddle to the floor, it sounds like "chuga chuga chuga chuga" at a fast rate. Any insight would be great.

I just dont know if this is normal or not...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Points: 1,156, Level: 18 Points: 1,156, Level: 18 Points: 1,156, Level: 18
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

Lifts sound pretty similar. Hard to explain the difference without actually hearing ya know? If you can verify which side it comes from then get out and have someone else start the car one day after it's set for a couple of days and then you listen with the hood up or down under the fender well may actually be the best place. If it's exhaust, it will be pretty loud on the inital start up. Mine is at least.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

exhaust leak

hi everyone i have a Commander 5.7L Hemi Overland and was wondering about a what sounds like an exhaust leak when i accelerate.I put the jeep in neutral and rev it up and cant hear the leak,can you help me please!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

You would not want to drive to long with an exhaust manifold leaking cause the heat leaking may warp the head, seen it on my friends 4.7 GC.. She drove with the gasket shot and messed the head up to the point of needing replacement, get it done sooner than later..

2006 Jeep Green/Saddle Brown Leather HEMI QDII OME HD w/Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks SpiderTraxx 1.5" 265/70R17 Goodyear MTRs w/Kevlar Ture Duals w/Imco 50 k&n 63 CAI Full Mopar Skids Tow Package
Tow Hooks SteelArmadillo Belly Skid Diablo 91 Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in