Bought our first Jeep Commander - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,486, Level: 30 Points: 2,486, Level: 30 Points: 2,486, Level: 30
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Bought our first Jeep Commander

My wife and I purchased our first commander (2010 sport 3.7l 4*4) monday evening, by tuesday evening we were rear-ended on the freeway while stopping for a traffic jam (thankfully no one was hurt). The other insurance company has stepped up to the plate and is covering the repairs. While talking to the body shop I noticed we were missing the rear (3rd) seatbelt cover and owners manual. Fortunately, the dealer has ordered these and will be given to us when they arrive. Additionally, when talking to the salesman prior to purchase, I noticed an opening where the transmission dipstick should be. I asked the salesman and he thought it was some sort of vent. After some inquiries I found out that there is supposed to be cap over (where the dipstick used to be) this access. I have no idea how long this has been exposed, could've been just prior to purchase during service or perhaps carelessly left off by the previous owner? I spoke with Jeep and they are now ordering a new cap for the transmission (tech dipstick) access. Not knowing how long its been off, should I see about having the transmission serviced to be on the safe side (approx 32000 mi)? According to the dealer we have 3.5 years remaining of the 5 year 100,000 power train warranty, but would certainly rather maintain what we have! Anyways, we love the Jeep, makes my 89 cherokee feel like a horse drawn carriage. Really looking forward to getting the commander back shortly; fortunately, it just needs a rear bumper and some significant exhaust repair after the accident. This thing held up incredibly well during the accident (I would expect no less from a vehicle that gets 15 mpg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Congrats on the new family member. I too was rear-ended exactly 1 week after picking up my brand new Commander on the expressway. There wasn't a lot of damage to it but the late 90s Volvo was completely totaled. That made me feel a little better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

welcome to the familly!!!

06 Jeep Commander 4.7 QT II wih RC lift, Superchips 3872 and 245/75R17 Thunderer MT Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

I was rear ended a few months after purchasing my '06. It was in a slow moving line. His small car took some minor damage. Me, nothing noticable. The guy was texting who hit me, his phone was still open and laying on the center console. I really hate texting drivers, and would bet that the guy who hit you was also texting.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The 3.7L V6 Commanders comes with the Mercedes W5A580 transmission. It does NOT come with a dip stick, it comes with a plug to cap the tube for the special tool they use to measure the fluid level. The fluid level for this trans is real critical, so the procedures calls for using starscan tool to read the fluid temp level and then checking the proper level based off a chart of level vs fluid temp, and they use a special tool dipstick intead of having one installed on the trans.

I got the special tool off e-bay for like $35, and I have an AutoEngiunity Scan tool with Enhanced Chrysler package, so I can read the trans temp without the Dealer Starscan. I also installed a temp gauge, so I can also just read the temp that way, as well, I'm sure holding a good thermometer to the trans pan would suffice as well.

Chrysler put out a TSB warning against flushing transmissions, a lot of shops do it, including a lot of Dealers, despite Chrysler putting out a TSB telling them NOT to. The procedure is to just drop the pan and change the filter and refill what was lost in the pan drop. If your really worried to much dirty oil remains, which the filter should be catching it, but if you want, I just change the oil twice with a little driving inbetween to circulate it, that should replace more than 75% of the fluid in the trans.

Out of curousity, how many keys did the Dealer provide you when you bought your used Commander? 1?

In 2010 Chrysler removed the feature to do Customer self-programming of new keys, and started in 2009 for a lot of their other models. So, look into getting some spare keys made now, NOT later, when you'll be over a barrel because you've lost the one key they provided with the car. Only the Dealer can make them, and the car has to be there, by many Dealer list prices a spare key will cost you $450, maybe a good dealer will charge you less. And the vehicle has to be at the Dealership to make the key, so you may need a tow as well, if you wait until losing your only key before getting another.

You can find blank keys on e-bay for $25-$35, you can find a "good" dealer, they will program all the keys you have at once for $50, some dealers won't even pull the vehicle into a service bay for less than $100, and they may want to charge more for multiple keys. Some other facts about the FOBIK keys.

*The Vehicle can only have 8 keys made for it, that is NOT 8 keys at once, that is total, including lost keys, so what ever keys that were lost before you got your Commander count as part of those 8 keys you can have.

*Once a key has been programmed, it can never be reprogrammed again for another car. Be careful on ebay, do NOT buy a used key, it will NOT work, it has to be a brand new blank. Look for good seller rating, they stating its a New Unused Key, that the photo is a new key, in packaging.

*NOT all Fobik keys work with ALL Chrysler vehicles, look up the part number for your Commander and get the key by part number.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Lots of great info, thanks guys! Actually, our Jeep came with two keys... I read about the mercedes transmission thing, We bought this for my wife to drive so she'll probably take it to the dealership for service since I'm out of town a lot for business. I just found it a bit strange that ours is missing the cap too. Hoping it was carelessly left behind at the dealership. Additionally, they cant just order the cap, it has to be the entire dipstick assy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastings View Post
Lots of great info, thanks guys! Actually, our Jeep came with two keys...
You're the first one I've heard that got a Chrysler with 2 keys that was NOT brand new on the Dealer Lot. Chrylser has made the key system so expensive and/or PIA to get spares, no one replaces a lost key, including the dealer trying to sell it.

The spare key issue is something you need to plan ahead about, like I said, Chyrsler saw too it, that only the Dealer can make the key and they are ripping off customers with outrageous prices for the spare keys. A little PIA work ahead of time, getting some replacement keys off e-bay will save you from the Dealer having you over a barrellel in the future if you loose your keys. Call around to your local dealers, in my case, some wouldn't do the starscan cloning of keys for less than $100, I found one that would do it for $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastings View Post
I read about the mercedes transmission thing, We bought this for my wife to drive so she'll probably take it to the dealership for service since I'm out of town a lot for business. I just found it a bit strange that ours is missing the cap too. Hoping it was carelessly left behind at the dealership. Additionally, they cant just order the cap, it has to be the entire dipstick assy
Something is NOT right here, because the DipStick Assy for the Mercedes W5A580 is a special tool that does NOT cap or fit the top of the tube, it can NOT be used like regular dipsticks that stay in the vehicle. The dipstick tool for the W5A580 will stick out of the end of the tube another foot and half, flopping around and NOT seal the top of the tube at all.

You want the plastic cap, if they are making you pay for it, you shouldn't be paying more than $3, sure some dealers that might mean $10. Don't let them charge you $85 for a plastic cap, because it comes with the special tool. If they do, then insist you recieve the special tool with the cap, and don't let them keep the dip stick for the service department.

Changing the Fluid, this one of the few things that can be done without the Dealer Starscan tool, it does need some special tools, the dip stick and an electronic scan tool for transmissions, so NOT all shops will be able to do it, but there are likely more than just the dealer. I'd comparison shop and make sure the Dealer doesn't rip you off. If the Dealer wants more than $100 to change the trans fluid and filter, he's overcharging. More than $150 would be outrageous and I'd go somewhere else and have them do it.

Don't let them flush the trans, tell them you just want the pan dropped and filter changed and refilled, that is what Chrysler Recommends, even though the Dealer will tell you otherwise, because they want you to pay tons of extra cash for procedures that Chrysler even recommends against you doing.

Last edited by Mongo; 08-26-2011 at 10:02 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:29 AM
Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

Mine came with 2 keys, bought at carmax
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

"Something is NOT right here, because the DipStick Assy for the Mercedes W5A580 is a special tool that does NOT cap or fit the top of the tube, it can NOT be used like regular dipsticks that stay in the vehicle. The dipstick tool for the W5A580 will stick out of the end of the tube another foot and half, flopping around and NOT seal the top of the tube at all.

You want the plastic cap, if they are making you pay for it, you shouldn't be paying more than $3, sure some dealers that might mean $10. Don't let them charge you $85 for a plastic cap, because it comes with the special tool. If they do, then insist you recieve the special tool with the cap, and don't let them keep the dip stick for the service department."

I'm under the impression they're going to cover the cost of a cap, but apparently the part number is different from what came in it initially and may require a new tube be installed for the cap to actually fit (per the dealer at the parts counter)? I really don't know what could be different, are the caps threaded, is it a plug style? I've never even seen a picture of the cap, I just know that mine is an open black tube sitting next to the oil dipstick! Either way, the jeep is on its way to the dealer for repairs and a hitch install too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

both mine came with 2 keys used with 20 thousand miles on em

welcome to the site

2006 jeep commander many mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in