Need help changing my mind - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Need help changing my mind

So I have an 07 Commander Limited with the hemi. I've had it for two months, and loved it for the first month. Now I can't stand it. I'm not sure what I don't like about it other than I can't see anything out of the mirrors. Any advice on what to change to start liking it again? I'd love to go back to a truck but spending that much money is out of the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

first off start doing some stuff to it like performance or visual and start spending time with it working on it developing a relationship with it that might help
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Points: 5,718, Level: 48 Points: 5,718, Level: 48 Points: 5,718, Level: 48
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Length alert!!! This reply is longer than I had anticipated! You've been warned!

I dunno about changing your mind; sometimes "buyer's remorse" is right on the money and the purchase wasn't a good fit from the git-go.

That being said, you may take a fairly large financial hit - depends on what you paid for the Commander, of course, and what the local market will bring for it.

If you cannot afford a truck, and a truck is what you want, selling the Commander may leave you with the same problem - wanting one type of vehicle while being able to afford only a different type. (Thus the lack of a Ferrari in my driveway...).

However - the mirror issue may be easily resolved; I've added convex mirrors to the bottom of each of the outside mirrors on my '08 Commander and adjusted them properly with the interior mirror to remove any blind spots. If the issue is one of rear vision, perhaps adding a rear view camera linked to a screen on the dash might resolve the issue. Such camera setups have come down in price over the last couple of years. I can't comment on the practicality of such a system for you - everyone's mileage varies.

There are things I would improve on my '08; I'd prefer better seats (I've the standard cloth interior), there are times when I long for a Hemi (I've the six banger), I'm still using the cockeyed magnetic CB antenna when on the highway (I've not yet gotten around to purchasing/installing the left front fender CB antenna).

Overall, tho, as I walk through parking lots or watch other vehicles on the road I see nothing that I would prefer to drive on a daily basis better than I like my Jeep.

The key is "on a daily basis" - on the highway some days I regret selling my Corvette and Marauder; on nice days I miss the Wrangler I returned to the dealer for the Commander, and so on.

I'd recommend making a list - what features of the Commander disappoint you that you cannot upgrade, what features are missing that you cannot add, what characteristics of the vehicle make it unpalatable to you.

If you absolutely, positively must have a pickup bed - then the Commander (and your checkbook) are doomed. If it's a vague dissatisfaction with the way the Jeep rides or handles, or the sound system is sub-par (my Jeep's sound system...well, let's just say it's better than having an A.M. transistor radio hanging from the rear view mirror...but not by much), such items as those can be addressed without replacing the entire vehicle.

(I'm waiting for the stock tires to wear out on my '08; I really want something with more aggressive tread that is better in deep snow - but not enough to take the financial hit of discarding good tires for better ones before the good tires are worn out).

I look at Jeeps (Commander, Wrangler, et. al.) as good starting points; to me these vehicles cry out for customization. Each Jeep owner can make the vehicle their own; if the owner likes big tires, then slap big tires on the beastie. I had a winch on my last Wrangler even though I don't go off roading or camping. I simply loved the looks of the thing on the Jeep (and knowing it was fully functional was a bonus).

Is there a way to modify your new Commander to bring it in line with what would be the perfect vehicle for you? If the answer is, "No, I screwed this one up, I really want/need a pickup" then I'd advise letting the Jeep go to a new home where it will be happy and you get the pickup truck you really want/need.

Only you can determine if the Commander is a poor fit for your needs and desires (and don't get confused, "needs" and "desires" are sometimes contradicting specs).

HTH a little bit - I've titled over 40 vehicles since I got my first car in 1966 and not all of them have been happy matches. I bought this T-Bird in the dark once and in the daylight...well, never mind about that. The short answer is, if you can fix the Commander to meet your desires, go for it. If you can't then accept that you've made a mistake and move on.

(There are many a driver who can relate to your pain; hope you get the issue resolved).

Jim

Last edited by FmrVette; 09-08-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: improved wording; original ending seemed snarky.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Get out and hit a trail with other members and you will love the Commander again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

I don't "need" a truck at all, I just want one again. There are a few things that I'll need to change to the Jeep since I'm probably going to end up keeping it for a while. Though I just got new tires on it as part of the deal with buying it. I love the look of the Jeep, and know it would look badass with a lift and some meats. I just am not sure if that will change my mind about it. I can't put my finger on just one thing I don't like, there's just something that makes me unhappy with it. I love the ride and the power (it has more than my truck did). We'll see, I'm going to be looking at some pictures of members' Commanders and see if adding a few things will help change my mind.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicity_27 View Post
I love the ride and the power (it has more than my truck did). We'll see, I'm going to be looking at some pictures of members' Commanders and see if adding a few things will help change my mind.
Make sure to click on my "Knappster's Garage" thread for build ideas (link under my signature).

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

mods always help
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

I'm checking out some mods right now. 49er fan, I like some of the things you've done, I may have to put a few things on my Jeep and maybe I'll like it. It's weird, this is the third Jeep I've owned, and the first one I didn't like..
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

I agree get to a trail meet some other commander owners and get bit by the off road and modding bug and you'll be good. Just turn it into something beside a DD. Mine don't look stock anymore and I love it.

Stop by and like the page

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

I am perplexed as to what caused you to start hating it.. I owned a 2003 Jeep GC that I loved. Now I have a larger interior, QDII which is awesome off-road and I have never noticed a blind spot. If you had a Jeep GC, you would notice going from an inch less clearance stock to 1.5 inches more clearance with the 2" RC lift. Plus you would probably like the level look alot better.

Also, you might want to check the shocks, bushings, etc. with a 2007 because it is possible the ride isn't as tight? Hard to say based on your first post. Good luck with it. It will grow back on you.

IndyMTB
---------------------------------
2010 Jeep Commander Limited/QDII,RC 2" Lift 255/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT
JBA UCAs, Bilstein front, Sensa-Trac F-150 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in