Help! Check engine light is on...... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Help! Check engine light is on......

Hello,

We have a 2006 Jeep Commander and the check engine light is on. We took it into the dealer for diagnosis, and we were told it is leaking from a cylinder and it will cost us $2600 to figure out which one.

Help. Can anyone recommend a mechanic in Littleton, Colorado?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

Leaking from a cylinder???? Blown Head gasket??? I need more info ALike what engine miles? Stuff like that, my service manuals dont list anything for a leaking cylinder but a blown head gasket theres plenty of stuff!!!

_ Connor

2006 jeep commander many mods.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Get a 2nd opinion before going back to that Dealer. It might be you didn't understand what they told you fully, and your having trouble relating the problem to us, or this Dealer is ripping you off. Sadly, we've seen enough bad Dealer's that is a possibility.

You can do the "Key Dance" to get the fault codes stored in the computer module to read out for free. Any auto store will have code readers that they will plug and read the stored codes for you for free.

I have trouble believing they need $2600 just to diagnosis which cylinder is leaking, let alone that you have a leaking cylinder.

If you're NOT able/willing to do a little double checking of the codes and troubleshooting on your own, find another shop, preferrably a reputable independent one with recommendations and have them take a look at it. A $2600 quote, and that isn't even a final repair, warrants a 2nd opinion from another shop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

$2600 to diagnosis what is wrong with it? Go somewhere else.. A few more hundred and you can put a motor in it..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
If you do not have you own trusted and reliable mechanic, your local auto parts store; Advance, Autozone, Pepboys, will read the code for you. I've used them several times to figure out the codes/problems. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this dealership. We all have either delt with or know someone who has been through this nonsense with car dealerships. Good luck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Points: 6,617, Level: 53 Points: 6,617, Level: 53 Points: 6,617, Level: 53
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

Re:

in cases like this id start the cheapest route:

1: Try to read the code yourself like others members said have auto-zone read the code for free and that will guide you on the right direction. lets assume its a leaking from "cylinder 4" .Have a trusted friend take out the spark plug and make sure the gap is correct.and make sure its properly tighten.(id probably check or replace all if you haven't done them)

2: if all seems fine id do a compression test( it seems complicated but its not)
that will most likely tell you how healthy the internal engine is...if they all have about the same reading then its possible something else like fouled Coil for that specific cylinder.

3; lets assume you have excellent compression test. I would switch coils with a different cylinder. reset the check engine light. and see if the check engine light comes on again.

4 If their is a really bad compression on a certain cylinder. then that will tell you that the cylinder is indeed leaking(blown head gasket/worn piston rings/cracked head/cracked block).then if you really like the jeep...I would take it anywhere else other then the dealership.

5 if you really cant find anybody to work on it, take it to a shop and tell them I Want a compression test on my jeep(60-100 bucks) I assumed you paid the diagnosis at the dealership.... So I assumed they did read the code and realized they would have to get more in depth with the engine diagnose, thats why they gave you an est. quote of 2600.00

*keep in mind* was the engine running fine before and after you took it the the dealership?
since you had it have you been on tracking with oil changes/checks?

let us know what happens!!

Last edited by gover805; 04-19-2012 at 01:03 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

Thank you for the*informative*posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by psxcswedop; 07-07-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in