Help! Front control arm issue. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Points: 828, Level: 15 Points: 828, Level: 15 Points: 828, Level: 15
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Help! Front control arm issue.

I was trying to install a RC lift kit...long story short, I ended up melting the strut bushing. There was no way in hell that bolt was coming out; I was using a 3/4 inch impact on it and it wouldn't budge. So, now what? Can these be replaced on the vehicle? Or at all? Am I better off just getting a new control arm?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

I would see if they sell a Polyurathane bushing kit. Check Energy Products, their the biggest manufactureer of poly bushings.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcity View Post
I would see if they sell a Polyurathane bushing kit. Check Energy Products, their the biggest manufactureer of poly bushings.

Thank you for the reply! I've used their products often in YJs. But I guess I'm inquiring more as to whether the bushing can be replaced while the control arm is still on the vehicle. It's already F'd up my week enough...I don't really want to pull the arm if I don't have to. I'm still not sure who is doing this job in 5 hours, but will guess that those claiming that are full of condensed crap or they live in the desert.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

Mine took a day and a half with no power tools. Agree not as easy as advertised. Good luck on bushing replacement. I would think it could be replaced on the vehicle using a c-clamp and socket.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

If you disconnect everything you can swing the lower controll arm down and use a strap to hold it in place against a jack stand so it don't move. Then youll have room that's how I replaced my lower ball joint. I seen the bushing on rock auto for like $22 I think it was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

And so the job continues....After destroying the control arm, I was able to locate a used one and installed it. Now the alignment is way off. So I decided to start on the rear today; passenger side wheel came right off, drivers side, two lug nuts stuck. Went clean down to a 17 mm on them, beat into place with a sledgehammer, no luck. Took it to an indy tire center that probably services 200 cars in a given week, and all they managed to do was melt my center cap before running out of acetylene. So after sitting in their waiting room from 11 am until 3 pm, they came out to inform me that there is nothing they can do. Called 2 other tire shops that wanted nothing to do with it. Brought it home and torched it off myself. As far as I'm concerned, that wheel is now junk; I don't trust aluminum that has been heated that much, so I put the spare on, which has about 30% of the clear coat destroyed from salt and crap. Now in the market for new wheels. I didn't really have a point to this post, other than to show the other side of what the "5 hour install" can look like. For those questioning my mechanical ability and access to tools, I'm a journeyman union millwright; prior to that I worked for 7 years as a journeyman tool and die maker. Installer beware!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,454, Level: 100 Points: 59,454, Level: 100 Points: 59,454, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnewlf View Post
And so the job continues....After destroying the control arm, I was able to locate a used one and installed it. Now the alignment is way off. So I decided to start on the rear today; passenger side wheel came right off, drivers side, two lug nuts stuck. Went clean down to a 17 mm on them, beat into place with a sledgehammer, no luck. Took it to an indy tire center that probably services 200 cars in a given week, and all they managed to do was melt my center cap before running out of acetylene. So after sitting in their waiting room from 11 am until 3 pm, they came out to inform me that there is nothing they can do. Called 2 other tire shops that wanted nothing to do with it. Brought it home and torched it off myself. As far as I'm concerned, that wheel is now junk; I don't trust aluminum that has been heated that much, so I put the spare on, which has about 30% of the clear coat destroyed from salt and crap. Now in the market for new wheels. I didn't really have a point to this post, other than to show the other side of what the "5 hour install" can look like. For those questioning my mechanical ability and access to tools, I'm a journeyman union millwright; prior to that I worked for 7 years as a journeyman tool and die maker. Installer beware!
There is no adjustment for the rear. Only the front can be adjusted for alignment.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
There is no adjustment for the rear. Only the front can be adjusted for alignment.

I know. I was just stating that after doing the front end, it was out of alignment. Didn't even have to touch the back to help with that! lol
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

That stinks man sorry to hear that mine went on easy enough but no salt to weld all my parts together down here. Stock wheels pop up all the time but aftermarket one can be found cheap enough.

Stop by and like the page

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in