Launch a Commander and get a ticket? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Points: 10,780, Level: 68 Points: 10,780, Level: 68 Points: 10,780, Level: 68
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 1233456
Launch a Commander and get a ticket?

Sorry if this is posted before, i could not find it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/21...est=latestnews

Basically, he jumps out of his commander to save a kid running towards a cliff. Saves the kid, the commander goes over instead. Ends up getting two tickets for "failure to produce insurance card" (underwater at the time) and failing to use parking brake.

This is going viral among police and fire sites as lesson 101 in how NOT to be a good public-safety officer. And the Chief back-pedaling isn't helping.

On the plus side, the commander fired right up after being submerged!

Now Gone: TJ 00 4 liter, 2" RE Lift and shocks, a few extra skidplates, and not much else, 'cause all the money goes to:

Now HIS: XK 07 Limited Hemi, 2" RR lift and shocks, JK Rubicon wheels (255/75 r17 BFG MT), 1.5" Spidertrax spacers, Rocky Road Supersliders, Mopar heavy-duty rails and roof rack. Get Lost 4x4 Rear Tire Carrier. 4xGuard Belly Skid. Oh, and a spiffy dash mat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,418, Level: 100 Points: 59,418, Level: 100 Points: 59,418, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sespe commander View Post
Dad saves boy before car plunges down cliff -- and gets pair of traffic tickets

By Greg Wilson
Published May 21, 2012
FoxNews.com

A New Jersey dad got the scare of his life when his 5-year-old son almost ran off a steep embankment, and though the man saved the boy from falling, he couldn't stop his Jeep from going over the precipice and into a river below.

The reward for his ordeal? Two traffic tickets from local police.

Frank Roder, a construction worker from the town of Winfield Park, had taken his son, Aidan, down to the Rahway River to feed ducks Thursday. But when he stopped briefly before settling on a parking space, the impatient boy jumped out and took off -- straight toward a ledge 35 feet above the river, Roder recalled.

"He hopped out, and I thought that was OK, I was just going to park," Roder, 38, said, but "he just took off, made a beeline for the edge."

The panic-stricken father jumped out of the cab of his 2006 Jeep Commander and raced after the errant boy, catching him just feet from the edge.

That's when Aidan, eyes as big as saucers, looked behind Roder and said, "Um, Daddy ..."

Roder turned in time to see the Jeep nosedive down the embankment and land in the muddy water.

Roder hugged the boy and waited as Union County police converged on the scene over the next few hours. A crane pulled the Jeep out, and amazingly, it started right up, though Roder is pretty sure his insurance company will count it as totaled.

He was counting his blessings when a young cop approached him and handed him two tickets. One was for failure to produce the insurance card, which was somewhere in the waterlogged cab. The other was for failing to use his emergency brake.

"I couldn't believe it," Roder said. "He said, 'If you would have taken the five seconds to apply the brake, this never would have happened!'

"I say, 'Really? And if I did and my boy stepped over the edge and fell instead of the Jeep, then were would I be?' He says, 'Jail, for child endangerment.'"

Too awful to contemplate is the fact the Roder almost took his six-week-old son Joel along for the ride.

"At the last minute, I told my wife to take him," Roder said. "I can't even think about that."

Union County Police Chief Daniel Vaniska told FoxNews.com that his officers have some discretion about when and when not to write a ticket. But he said he just didn't have enough information to second-guess what this officer did.

"It probably could have gone either way," Vaniska said. "I can't comment on the discretionary practices of an officer, but certainly, the fellow will have an opportunity to tell his story in court."

Municipal Court is where Roder might get some sympathy -- and maybe forbearance on those tickets, which are for $50 and $60. His date is May 30.

"I don't care, I'll pay it," Roder said. "It's just the principle. When something like that happens so fast, I could give a rat's a-- about the car."

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in