Really want to buy one, but should I? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Really want to buy one, but should I?

Hi All,

New to the forums, been lurking for a while getting info. I need your expertise in whether I should buy an 08 Limited 4.7 or not for work. I'm a traveling salesguy and rack up 50-60K annually on the miles and need something rock solid reliable. All highway miles. In reading many posts, there seems to be a lot of issues with electrical and leakage from sunroofs. Is the more the norm or is it rare. Had an 05 Grand Cherokee a few years back and was a lot of trouble. This limited I found has 52K on the clock and has had three owners which worries me a bit. Love the interior and looks, but reliability is king...dont wanna be broke down at midnight in the sticks. Any input or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
BT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19 Points: 1,235, Level: 19
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

I have one and my mom has one and we really haven't had any issues with them.. We have the 3.7.. I don't know anything about the 4.7
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Points: 6,137, Level: 50 Points: 6,137, Level: 50 Points: 6,137, Level: 50
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

I have the 4.7 and the only issue I've had is the leaky sunroof but the dealer fixed mine. Others say its an easy fix and by now most likely the one you'll want to buy will have already had the issue resolved.

Long distance is comfortable but the gas mileage is horrible. I got a tiny bit over 17mpg highway from DC to Atlanta.

Gas mileage aside I'd never give up my commander and this sounds corny but I had a nightmare last night I gave up my commander and I didn't know what to do lol.

My advice: do it, you won't regret it.

Edit: reliability is what you're concerned with? I've never had any mechanical issues. I've been off road, long distance, city, snow, you name it the commander does it all without hesitation.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Last edited by BrendenV; 05-27-2012 at 09:50 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Points: 1,706, Level: 24 Points: 1,706, Level: 24 Points: 1,706, Level: 24
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Send a message via AIM to mrnavy2
I also have a 08 XK Limited 4.7 since January. Knock on wood no problems. The best gas milage I got was 22.8 on highway, cruise control set at 60. I would not give mine up.

Once a Battleship Sailor always a Battleship Sailor.

I am US Navy Retired, 1976 - 1996
and Proud to have served

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OUR COUNTRY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

I have a 09 5.7 and i get 16-18 mixed driving. I bought mine new and it has not been back to the dealer except to have the MDS/VVT program reflashed.

I wouldn't bother with the 4.7. Nothing wrong with it but if your going to not get good gas mileage you might as well have some power!

I'm a Cherokee(XJ) guy. I own 4 of them right now. If you want "rock solid" reliability, get one of them but they are down right uncomfortable to travel in for an hour or more. I'm only 5'10" and I feel like I'm in a sardine can.

The XK(Commander) is very comfortable to travel in. I feel fresh even after 11-12 hours behind the wheel on long trips. I also have a limited with all the bells and whistles. LOVE the leather seats:-)

If you want a down right unreliable piece of crap, buy a Wrangler(JK). We have a 08 and its just not been good and its uncomfortable. Its taken us 4 years to get it sorted out to where we can enjoy it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Points: 357, Level: 7 Points: 357, Level: 7 Points: 357, Level: 7
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

I just got back from the beach. 10hr drive both ways. The vehicle is extremely comfortable for long trips and handles traffic like a champ. Never had one of those "Gotta get out of the car to stretch my legs" moments. Gas mileage is what you would expect from a large American SUV that is boxy shaped. Can't speak about reliability as I just bought mine, but I'm hoping for the same as my '98 Grand Cherokee that had 175k on it and no real issues to speak of.

Good luck!

2006 Commander Limited 4.7L
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

[SIZE=3]the electrical issues were mostly with the earlier models. WIth an 08, you are right in the middle of the pack and should be free of all such issues. the issues with the sunroofs were mostly due to the channels getting clogged. Do some searching on here, you'll see that it is nothing to worry about and can be easily rectified. If the history and the car appear clean, go for it. Do some basic maintenance (oil, tranny, diffs, transfer case, coolant, plugs) and she’ll serve you well for many more years. [/SIZE]

2010 Jeep Commander Sport Hemi
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

Never thought of the Commander as a "traveling salesman" type vehicle, but it does actually fit. Roomy with the fold down seat capability for lots of space. Seems like a perfect fit. Bring back days of salesmen in Plymouth Fury Wagons and Oldsmobile Vista Cruisers. Do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in