A/C Cooling Variances & Gas Consumption? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

A/C Cooling Variances & Gas Consumption?

I have the basic climate control system in my '06 3.7. I've noticed that whenever I have it set to either of the last two cold notches the A/C blows its coldest. If it's 3rd from the last notch or anything higher though, it blows considerably warmer.

Are the last two cold notches some sort of "max A/C" setting? Whether the vehicle is set to re-circulate or not makes no difference. Also, will using the colder setting affect my MPG differently compared to any other setting with the A/C on?

And as gee-whiz questions, does the A/C have much impact at all on MPG based on my engine size? Since the A/C doesn't blow too cold (more particularly when not on the last two notches), would an A/C recharge probably be in order?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Points: 4,379, Level: 42 Points: 4,379, Level: 42 Points: 4,379, Level: 42
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

Well nitemare, you don't say how many miles are on your Commander, but it can't hurt to get your A/C checked out. It should run colder on the "max" setting since it is not taking out side air in and is just recirculating inside air only. On the regular a/c setting it is taking in out side air and cooling it, making it not as cold as "max."

I guess there are different schools of thought with the gas mileage aspect. Some say your gas mileage is the same if your windows are closed and a/c on as the a/c off with your windows open.

2007 Jeep Commander 4X4, 4.7, Steel Blue
2003 Ford Thunderbird, White, Black Top w/ Port Holes
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

I have 124,000 miles on her. Not sure if previous owner ever serviced A/C or not, but I know the carfax said he had the blower fan motor replaced.

I've heard that the "max" A/C setting recirculates air from the cabin, but the thing is, we have a vent setting to do that ourselves. Even if I just started the Jeep up on a hot day with it hotter inside the cabin than outside, the air blows colder when it is on the "max" position versus the others. For this reason, I believe it has something more to do than with just re-circulation.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Points: 6,355, Level: 52 Points: 6,355, Level: 52 Points: 6,355, Level: 52
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

interesting....

I had a 1990 Nissan Maxima that did that very same thing on the highest blower setting. It wasn't a "max" setting..there was a seperate button for that. I could only run it on fan speed 3. #4 felt like it kicked off the compressor. Never got it looked at

2007 Overland, HEMI 4x4, QD II, rear DVD, Light Greystone Pearl, Wrangler SilentArmor 245/65R17

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, HEMI 4x2
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Points: 2,370, Level: 29 Points: 2,370, Level: 29 Points: 2,370, Level: 29
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%

My '08 Commander, 57k miles, with the manual climate control does the same thing, just not calibrated as well as it should be I think... no issues though, as the A/C system freezes me out when it is in the mid 90's outside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in