Newbie says hi! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,337, Level: 29 Points: 2,337, Level: 29 Points: 2,337, Level: 29
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Newbie says hi!

Hi.

I'm a long time lurker from the UK and really miss driving a 4x4. I've always admired the Commander, as much as I've been scared to death of something going badly wrong.

Choices were an aged Landcruiser Amazon, a late model Nissan Patrol, or a Commander.

I took a test drive yesterday and its WAAAAAAAAAY better than the Amazon and the Patrol. I didn't think I'd get the finance due to past **** ups, but I got a decent low rate which makes the Commander as affordable as one with a cheaper sticker price, higher mileage one on a higher rate finance.

This is to be our sole car, and replacing a Toyota Corolla with 127k and Volvo 940 auto estate with 149k. I don't expect fuel consumption to be any worse than the Volvo (23-25mpg) and this is the vehicle until it dies for good (and is paid for!).

It'll stop me wasting countless cash on old clunkers that we only keep for a short time.

I still think the load area side windows look wrong somehow, and was looking at black with NAV, but I warmed in a big way to this one as I recall black is a PITA to clean, the lack of sunroof means no leaks and the NAV isnt that good.

So as of Saturday 14/7/2012 this is my ride ...its an 06 with 39k.

I'm still scared of any serious things costing thousands of to fix, but this is all the car I could want.

Later guys

Last edited by chrali; 07-10-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Points: 5,680, Level: 48 Points: 5,680, Level: 48 Points: 5,680, Level: 48
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Welcome Chrali
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Nice Commander !

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73 Points: 12,698, Level: 73
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

Nice commander! When you said you should expect 22-25 I thought you were in for a disappointment. However, I think I have read others with the CRD that is right in line. We didn't have any option but the Hemi or 3.7. It looks in great condition. Enjoy.

IndyMTB
---------------------------------
2010 Jeep Commander Limited/QDII,RC 2" Lift 255/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT
JBA UCAs, Bilstein front, Sensa-Trac F-150 rear
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Points: 1,706, Level: 24 Points: 1,706, Level: 24 Points: 1,706, Level: 24
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Send a message via AIM to mrnavy2
I really love my commander. I had mine since January. This is my second Jeep. Mu first one was a new 87 XJ and had over 310k on it before it died on me. How I miss that jeep. Anyway yours looks real nice, and i really like your rear bumper. Are those lights or just reflectors back there. Steve.

Once a Battleship Sailor always a Battleship Sailor.

I am US Navy Retired, 1976 - 1996
and Proud to have served

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OUR COUNTRY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100 Points: 59,482, Level: 100

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnavy2 View Post
I really love my commander. I had mine since January. This is my second Jeep. Mu first one was a new 87 XJ and had over 310k on it before it died on me. How I miss that jeep. Anyway yours looks real nice, and i really like your rear bumper. Are those lights or just reflectors back there. Steve.
That is the export Commander's standard bumper. They call those fog lights over there. They are actual lights, not reflectors.

Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Yup - what he said. They're fog lights.

I never realised they weren't all like that. Now I've had a look on-line I assume USA models have no lights on the rear bumper.

I was surprised mine didn't have sunroofs, as it never occurred to me that limited could actually be limited

Its also lower than i thought, especially as it was next to a Range Rover. It was so comfortable, and the weight seems to mash bumps flat and its the most non-diesel like diesel I've driven.

The mileage was a big part of the appeal, as a 90k Commander is still 7k and I got the 39k for 10k ($14k?). I live in Norfolk, which is miles from anywhere, so it was too good an opportunity to miss.

Picking it up the weekend after next now to give me a chance to re-home the Volvo.

Shame this forum doesn't have a Thanks button, but cheers for the welcome.

The whole 4x4 looks new, even the interior....but its stupid leaving the handbrake on the other side. I wish we could get the dark brown leather in the UK as that looks great!

The alloys were replaced due to corrosion....

Here's a better look at the back.....not sure bu it likes like its got park sensors

Last edited by chrali; 07-10-2012 at 04:02 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrali View Post
Here's a better look at the back.....not sure bu it likes like its got park sensors
Yes, those are back up sensors. You should also have sensors in the front bumper which we don't have here in the States.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Picked up the Commander yesterday, and had to rush back to Yarmouth to meet the guy who bought my Volvo. I was a bit surprised that my average mpg was only 18.3, at 80mph which looks bloody scary until I remember the to multiply by 1.2 to give imperial MPG of 21.6 at which point its a little disappointing. I know its a brick, but the average on these is supposed to be 26 mpg combined imperial and I usually get over the combined figure. I knocked up a conversion sheet and put in the car so I can keep an eye on it once I dial back the speed to under 70 on my daily drive to work, as right now diesel in the UK is just shy of $10 an imperial gallon.

First impressions:

The engine can pull the car along nicely, surging past lesser metal in the mid range, but I avoided unduly revving it as it didn't seem that kind of vehicle, best to ride the torque. It was a good drive home, but the park sensors go ape when I get there as I live down a narrow road so it beeps like made to the left and right of me, then goes extra mental pulling into my drive as its only a couple of foot wider than the car. Then I found the button to turn them off.

These things have no space in them. I'm only 5ft 7inches and even I wondered what to do with my left leg, and what's with the big hump of plastic under the steering column that I've gotta dodge to get on the brakes. I didn't notice on the test drive, but I guess as I relax with the car I'll get my driving position sorted out. They're also tight in the middle row, and forget the back.

The height on the boot floor particularly with the 3rd floor folded in a royal PITA, when you've gotta swing an elderly 35+kg retriever into the back. The shih tzu is less of a problem , although on the plus side you don't have to reach far for the shopping.

And you know what?..........I don't give a monkies It was bought for the looks and feel, not to be a very practical vehicle.

Still love it, but cant touch anything until the warranty is up in 6 months.

Now I've had a pukka look around I can now find faults. The side of the NSF under bumper trim doesn't lock properly into the edge of bottom under bumper trim and the drivers door handle cup has started to crack. Luckily its the only one, so I'm going to be real careful with it and do the fibreglass repair on the backs of all of them. It pulls ever so slightly left and has a slight vibration, that I only notice when driving around town. Also the drivers edge has started to split, and the NS drivers mirror wobbles. So in other words I've got all the usual Commander symptoms.

On the design side, its sheer laziness leaving the handbrake lever on the left and I wish we could have the proper rear bumper cut out for the tow bar. I assume a tow pack would've had one, but you don't seem many Jeeps around here.

The only repairs in its history are replace one wheel arch moulding, replacing gearbox adapter plug to fix gearbox leak, recall G40, replace leaking turbo pipe and turbo pipe assembly as breather box full of oil, replace NSR door trim as cracked (266 ex tax - gulp!), rear wiper trim cracked, replaced all 4 alloys as corroded (947), replaced another leaking turbo pipe, replace oil cooler leaking (555).

Lets see what else Jeep ownership brings me.

Encourage alternative fuels - Use all the petrol!

Last edited by chrali; 07-22-2012 at 03:34 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Points: 6,137, Level: 50 Points: 6,137, Level: 50 Points: 6,137, Level: 50
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

I'd love to have those clear turn signals! The orange ones here are ugly.

That thing needs some window tint too!

Looks nice. Wish I could have a diesel one.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in