The Whole "Service 4WD System error code" debate - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The Whole "Service 4WD System error code" debate

Hi All

I am new to this forum, however have used the forum as a lurker on prior occassions and understand how valuable it is to share information.

With that said i wanted to bring up the issue of the whole "Service 4WD System" alert code we get on the console of the commander.

First let me say i have a blue 5.7l Hemi Commander.

The code popped up and sure enough i admit i have been delinquent in serving my differentials and transfer case.

So first step was to do exactly that and change oil on all three expecting to see the service alert go away. No such luck.

As others have found despite having the ability to read OBD2 codes with my code reader you cannot read these codes or status.

So i conceded to go to my local dealer and pay to get the code. Yes i too came across the service bulletin from way back saying the module potentially needed flashing and that it was possibly and erroneous code but.....my background from way back is electronics and it made me suspicious as to why the code would even get flagged to appear if it was erroneous and only do so after i have had the vehicle all these years.

Dealer read my code and my instructions were to reset the code but it popped up again and remained active.

Thats a heads up to something more than erroneous code.

The code i got in my case was C1417.

So i pulled the diagnostic sheet from my electronic factory service manual.

It provides a step by step sequence to fault finding which pretty much anyone can follow using a test lamp and multimeter.

Yes there is a part where it looks to use the Scantool system to activate things but with a bit of logic one can fathom out where the issue really lies.

The thing that has me concerned is that many of the posts i have come across on the web related to diagnostic popping up on any Jeep have had people forget about it if it goes away.

So here is my concern that i would like to obtain clarrification about from someone in the know on these things. NOte i am not a mechanic. This is DIY for me. Simply because i do not trust the dealers since its been my experience even with my lay knowledge i tend to know more than them about my vehicle. They dont seem to read whats in the service manual.

On the differentials both front and rear there are solenoids.

According to the wording on the diagnostic sheet it says and i quote,

"When Monitored:

The solenoid is active, no solenoid supply circuit DTCs are present and battery voltage is normal".

Set Condition:

The FDCM detects the Front Differential Solenoid Control is shorted low.

So my big question is ....

Does this mean that in normal drive mode which is continuous 4WD the solenoids are always activated.

If so then my point is that in the event people do not deal with this code when it pops up the question arises at to what state the differential is running in and how safe that is.

Ie it is then my understanding (I am assuming i do not know) that the differential would be in neutral with the solenoid not active.?

Is this the case. Which implies that were this to happen to the rear one would have no drive at all.

From what i can ascertain the activation of the T lever when the vehicle transmission is placed in neural merely activates the solenoid in the transfer case changing the vehicle from 4WD high to 4WD low.

The solenoids in the differential are serving the same function therefore as the 4WD vehicles that have the external mechanicl diff lock and merely engaging the differential.

In my case thus far i have determined that the fault is real and that the fault lies in output from the FDCM not being present.

The other question i then have is what are the consequences if any to driving the vehicle without the fault being fixed.?

Alternatively one could interpret the statement that the solenoid is active as being that its only made active when its monitored but then when would this occur only at start up.

From my previous electronic experience it would make sense to have the solenoid operate in an active state normally so that when it does not a fault condition can be established. This would also be a kind of fail safe fault condition.

Can anyone shed detailed light on the operation involved here also exactly where the FDCM is that provides the output to activate the solenoids. I have found two conflicting locations. One under the second row seats and the other right in front of the fuse panel under the hood next to the battery.

Thanks the search continues.

ROb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Points: 1,855, Level: 25 Points: 1,855, Level: 25 Points: 1,855, Level: 25
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

My jeep is currently at the dealership for c1417 error. So far they have replaced the FDCM which in turn has caused a lot more codes to pop up I guess.

When I went wheeling with my QD2 system with the c1417 error code active, my 4wd still worked, but my front diff did not lock.

That is about all I can offer, until I get my jeep back then I might have some more info on what they did to fix it..
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

I jumped through hoop after hoop, got diagnosis after diagnosis, got update after update to the computer...

Check your fuses guys.

1 little blue #15 fuse (under the hood) fixed EVERYTHING!

Had "service 4wd system" message, had traction control light on, ESP light, brake lights not functioning properly...

Go to autozone, buy their little fused tester kit for $12 bucks (comes with a few fuses), use your manual to locate the associated fuse and just check it.

After you do this, report back here to let us know whether or not if resolved your issue or not. Good luck.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

Which 4wd system is this happening on? My 09 Hemi has the "open diffs" no E-slip and a Chryco 8.25 rear axle, I guess that's the QT2 system.

I'm guessing your having this issue on the QD2 system?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Points: 1,203, Level: 19 Points: 1,203, Level: 19 Points: 1,203, Level: 19
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I have the same issue on my 06 Hemi Commander. So far I came up with the following. on Start-up the FDCM checks the resistance on the diff solenoids. they need to be 13.5ohms. If they are not you will get teh service 4wd error. What I am going to do weekend is make a 13.5 ohm resistor and connect it to the wiring harness of the diffs and see if my error goes away.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

I also get this error once in a wile when I am on the road after a wile it goes away so I have been ignoring it, I will try and check the fuses when I get a chance but if anyone does it before me please let us know, I am pretty sure I will take a wile to check.

06 Jeep Commander 4.7 QT II wih RC lift, Superchips 3872 and 245/75R17 Thunderer MT Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 PM

Check the associated fuse!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,418, Level: 100 Points: 59,418, Level: 100 Points: 59,418, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Walter View Post
Check the associated fuse!
Dirty, help these guys out a little more. Which fuse is it ?

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

Yeah if you remember which fuse it was that would really help.

06 Jeep Commander 4.7 QT II wih RC lift, Superchips 3872 and 245/75R17 Thunderer MT Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fco27 View Post
Yeah if you remember which fuse it was that would really help.
It is a blue fuse (a number 15), you need to look in your manual and locate it (or check online for how to locate it), it is the fuse associate with your brake system, or maybe 4x4 system.... I will try to take a peak at mine asap and do what I can to help narrow down the one I replaced in mine.

It fixed a number of problems I was having including the "service 4wd system" messages...

I will try to get more info, but looking in your manuals, familiarizing your self with the fuse box (the ones under the hood), is a good start...

CHECK THOSE FUSES!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in