Commander input wanted - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,034, Level: 17 Points: 1,034, Level: 17 Points: 1,034, Level: 17
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Commander input wanted

My wife is looking to buy a new suv. She needs a third row of seats and some basic offroad capabilities (mud and ground clearance, not rockcrawling). She really likes the Commanders.

So, since I'm not very familiar with Jeeps, I thought I ask a few questions -

1) Have there been any reliability/quality issues with the Commanders?
2) Which engine/drivetrain would you pick?
3) For occasional use transporting kids, is the back seat functional?
4) Any big surprises related to mpg?
5) For those of you that own a Commander, would you buy another?

I appreciate your help.
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Points: 1,595, Level: 22 Points: 1,595, Level: 22 Points: 1,595, Level: 22
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

Re: Commander input wanted

I have the 5.7 hemi, and I wouldn't go smaller. I use mine to tow though - I guess the 4.7 would be okay otherwise. I've never seen the third row of seats; the Jeep came home w/ them folded down, and down they have stayed. It is a lot smaller than my last suv (expedition) for traveling, but I'm really happy w/ it. It's fun to drive, safe, different (at least you're not at a stoplight with five others just the same), tows really well (even a horse trailer w/ four horses), and has been reliable so far (20,000 miles since January). We get about 17-18 on the highway.

Katy
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Points: 1,074, Level: 17 Points: 1,074, Level: 17 Points: 1,074, Level: 17
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

Talking Re: Commander input wanted

I have had mine for 1 month now. I have the 4X2 3.7; but I also live in South Florida. There isn't many mountains to climb around here..LOL. The everyday driving of the truck is very secure and fun to drive. I love the handling of it especially. My finance has an Expedition and it doesn't handle the same. This is my first American car that I have owned in a long time. The only drawback to it from Japaneese cars, is that the details are not as good. I have had some issues with the trim around the shifter comming loose and the f/r/d speaker going bad. The gas mpg sucks!!! especially during the first couple of hundered miles. I was getting about 9 mpg. This has improved slightly and I am now doing 14 mpg average city/hwy. I truly think this will improve as I break in the engine over time. The rebates I got was a big insentive to get the truck. I got a total of 4500 in rebates. It took my truck from $29500 down to 25K. I don't think you'll be getting this discount from anyone else. I overall like the truck and If everything goes well, I will stay in the Jeep family.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihercu51125
....I have the 4X2 3.7.....The gas mpg sucks!!!
I've read that some people get better mpg with the larger engines? Less strain on the engine maybe?

The dealer has "$6k off" stickers on everything right now. Clearing out for the 08's I guess.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joskt0204
I have the 5.7 hemi, and I wouldn't go smaller. I use mine to tow though - I guess the 4.7 would be okay otherwise. I've never seen the third row of seats; the Jeep came home w/ them folded down, and down they have stayed. It is a lot smaller than my last suv (expedition) for traveling, but I'm really happy w/ it. It's fun to drive, safe, different (at least you're not at a stoplight with five others just the same), tows really well (even a horse trailer w/ four horses), and has been reliable so far (20,000 miles since January). We get about 17-18 on the highway.

Katy
We'd probably go with the 4.7 since she won't be towing.

She likes the "different" thing.

Thanks.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Points: 2,195, Level: 28 Points: 2,195, Level: 28 Points: 2,195, Level: 28
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

I have a 2wd with the 4.7 and we love it. We have had a few issues but I think that they worked most of those problems out in the 07 models. Gas mileage runs around 16 city and 20 highway generally. This is running 70-75 highway. I have used the third row and it is good for kids rough on adults. Ride is smooth and quiet. I don't have all the bells and whistles but for 27k I am happy.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Points: 8,261, Level: 61 Points: 8,261, Level: 61 Points: 8,261, Level: 61
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

I have the 3.7 V6. While the gas mileage isnt hitting records I avg 15.1-15.8 mpg. But it has ALOT to do with driving styles and conditions. In the winter it dips down to 13.8 but thats cause I typically spin alot more and screw around. And avg 21+ on road trips down the highway unless I am leaving Valdez heading to Anchorage then it drops due to the climbing 2600+ feet in a short distance. Only Modifacation i made that might have a slight effect on gas milage was replacing the air filter with a K&N stock filter and removing the restrictor plate off the "snorkle" that goes from the grill to the airbox.

The V6 doesnt have a 4 Low so keep that in mind of your looking at a muddy fire break trail.

The third seat is not bad my girls love it but they are at ages 8 & 10. I wouldnt stick a adult back there unless I didn't like them. But it is feasible for adults on a short trip.

Would I buy another XK? Oh heck ya! Its a Jeep Thing! But I would get the V8 because I have a hard time passing muddy trails anymore.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKFossil
I have the 3.7 V6. While the gas mileage isnt hitting records I avg 15.1-15.8 mpg. But it has ALOT to do with driving styles and conditions. In the winter it dips down to 13.8 but thats cause I typically spin alot more and screw around. And avg 21+ on road trips down the highway unless I am leaving Valdez heading to Anchorage then it drops due to the climbing 2600+ feet in a short distance. Only Modifacation i made that might have a slight effect on gas milage was replacing the air filter with a K&N stock filter and removing the restrictor plate off the "snorkle" that goes from the grill to the airbox.

The V6 doesnt have a 4 Low so keep that in mind of your looking at a muddy fire break trail.

The third seat is not bad my girls love it but they are at ages 8 & 10. I wouldnt stick a adult back there unless I didn't like them. But it is feasible for adults on a short trip.

Would I buy another XK? Oh heck ya! Its a Jeep Thing! But I would get the V8 because I have a hard time passing muddy trails anymore.
Thanks for the info on the back seat.

I read a post somewhere in which the poster was saying not to get the V6 if you carry more than 4 people. You have any opinion on that?
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Points: 1,074, Level: 17 Points: 1,074, Level: 17 Points: 1,074, Level: 17
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

When my kids are with me and my fiance's kids we total 7. No issues with the power of the V6.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

I just took a trip to Washington State from Colorado Springs, CO with 3 kids and a dog and had no issues with room for the kids or dog. On the way back we had 5 kids and no dog and still no issues with room. The kids slept in the back with no problem, and everyone seemed to be no worse for wear. The front seats recline WAY back and so its great for sleeping in a rest stop. Our kids are between 10-4. For most of the trip the 7 and 8 year olds were in the far back (makes it easier to smack the 4 year old causing trouble).

On the trips, the only issue seemed to be the cupholders for when everyone was eating - if you put three people in the middle seat, no one has any cup holders in the middle. The back two are fine. We just purchased 2x $5 "seat wedge" cup holders for the middle seats - they hold drinks, PSPs, and books AND they keep all the kids in "their" part of the Jeep.

I would go with the HEMI because, well, the more the merrier. I had no issues with stock off-roading in light-moderate areas.

I would definately buy another Commander - if this one ever wears out. This is my first Jeep (my last kid hauler was an Expedition), and I love it.

Some pics from the trip showing the back seat and kid placement...

You can't see the dog, but she's laying down in the back (she's a Yellow Lab / Bassett so she's short and fat).

The five kids without the dog - I think they are looking at Buffalo in Yellowstone...

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in