Hollow rumbling sound coming from rear of truck - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Hollow rumbling sound coming from rear of truck

Has anyone else experienced a hollow rumbling noise coming from the rear of their truck? I thought it might have been wind noise form the crossbars so I removed them, no change. Made sure the spare tire is tight as well as all the skid plates and other bolt on items, including the Gibson exhaust.

The only thing I can think of is that the rear shocks might be causing it since they reused the OEM shocks on the 2" lift. I looked at them and they look almost fully extended with the lift installed. Can I replace the rear shocks with some ProComps or Ranchos and not screw up the ESP/BAS system? 4WP was going to do that but didn't want the liability issues with the ESP/BAS system.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Re: Hollow rumbling sound coming from rear of truck

How many miles do you have on it? Does it sound like it is coming from one side or the middle?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr

10500. Hard to tell, but it sounds centered. Only does it at high speed or when I go over something rough in the road. If I hit a manhole cover or similar then it sounds like it comes from one side.

'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Unless its something like the exhaust rubbing against something I would be concerned about the rear differential. First thing I would do is make sure the differential is full of gear oil (or change the oil if its anywhere near time). If you do change the fluid or if someone else does it be sure and have it checked for any evidence of gear wear, ie small metal particles etc in the fluid. If there is no problem there then whatever the problem is it probably isnt serious. john
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Its getting close to its 12k service, so I'll have them look at it then. I think that a drain and fill of the rear diff is part of the service IIRC.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

A bad axle bearing could also cause a rumbling sound true. Not really sure.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

I installed Rustys 2" kit which included new rear shocks. They said the stock shocks aren't long enough. I bet your problem is related to that.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkjon
I installed Rustys 2" kit which included new rear shocks. They said the stock shocks aren't long enough. I bet your problem is related to that.
Probably. Going to order the ES9000s for the rear install them to see if that helps. Didn't have this before the lift, so I think that's the culprit. 4WP wouldn't install them, very paranoid about getting sued if the vehicle is messed up or is in an accident due to their work.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr
Probably. Going to order the ES9000s for the rear install them to see if that helps. Didn't have this before the lift, so I think that's the culprit. 4WP wouldn't install them, very paranoid about getting sued if the vehicle is messed up or is in an accident due to their work.
Who is 4WP? I want to make sure I never use them to work on my Jeep.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

4WP= 4 Wheel Parts. They're okay, good for bolt on stuff for newer vehicles, just very paranoid about lawsuits since they're based in Cali.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in