Nitros/Wranglers get all the love.... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34 Points: 3,180, Level: 34
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Angry Nitros/Wranglers get all the love....

You see, alot of us seem to have a problem with our Commanders just turning off for no good reason (see the other thread). You would think that Jeep would take this seriously and submit a recall or something. Alas, it is now in a NHTSA engineering study to see what's going on. Where am I going with this, you ask?

It seems that if you own a Nitro or Wrangler and have some problems where it will turn off and restart almost immediately by itself; well, they'll take care of it in a recall. It's absurd that 1) alot of DCCs vehicles are having very similar problems and 2) that they malign themselves to not attempt a fix on the hard one. I suppose it's putting themselves out for a bigger apportionment of liability should they start tooling around on the Commander - but it still pisses me off...

Quote:
Chrysler said Tuesday it was recalling more than 80,000 new Jeep Wrangler and Dodge Nitro models in the USA to correct a defect that could cause the engine stall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Points: 2,689, Level: 31 Points: 2,689, Level: 31 Points: 2,689, Level: 31
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Re: Nitros/Wranglers get all the love....

I woder if it is because more people own them and therefore they had more complaints . there must be some magic number that causes them to do something.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

It also has to do with an expected liability. If there is an issue with 80k vehicles and there is a reasonable and inexpensive (compared to lawsuits or complete teardown of a vehicle) fix, they would rather do that than nothing. If you consider that there is a documented and explainable fix that was causally linked to the OEM hardware, and that hardware could be fixed with a reflash, it would be in their best interest to fix the problem. Now, in the case of the Commander, they can't identify the problem. It appears that it could be an expensive endeavour to fix the problem. As such, why offer to every Commander owner a way to possibly fix the commander (which might not work and then they would end up having to troubleshoot each one); rather, wait until the NHTSA is done with their engineering study. If that study brings up a problem and there is a way to fix it via recall, they'll be forced into a position to fix it. If the study comes up empty handed then it may not be a recall and the company saves money.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

C'mon. We all know exactly how to make the commander stop "turning off for no good reason".

But, there is a very good reason, people hit the keys with their leg/knee. Simply remove the other 5# of keys from the key and use it alone, or watch what you're doing and don't hit the key in the ignition with your leg. It's really a simple fix.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I

There's only one reason for the lack of interest and that's because there hasn't been enough complaints. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCommander
C'mon. We all know exactly how to make the commander stop "turning off for no good reason".

But, there is a very good reason, people hit the keys with their leg/knee. Simply remove the other 5# of keys from the key and use it alone, or watch what you're doing and don't hit the key in the ignition with your leg. It's really a simple fix.
I have a valet keyring. That means I have but one key that is ever being used; and that is the ignition key. My knee comes nowhere to that key and my truck has turned off a few times.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

I have now nearly 6k miles on my Overland and never a single problem of any kind yet. But, I worship the JEEP GODS, perhaps you dont. john
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Points: 19,553, Level: 88 Points: 19,553, Level: 88 Points: 19,553, Level: 88
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

I had issues with vehicle turning off it has been in the shop more than i care to remember, however the dealership installed a flight recorder and got necessary info to reflash computer. I have almost 40K now and it has not shut down in 20,000 miles or so. I understand your furstration PENGUIN.
KNEE turning off vehicle (Redcommander)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
But, I worship the JEEP GODS, perhaps you dont. john
I try to get my wife on her knees alot, is that not the right kind of worship?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Points: 1,762, Level: 24 Points: 1,762, Level: 24 Points: 1,762, Level: 24
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

They probably also figured out the actual problem on the Wranglers and Nitros and a way to fix it. From what I've seen of the Commander stall issue, DCX has absolutely no idea why it's happening. It's probably a harder problem to solve than the Wrangler one. Until they do come up with a solution for the Commander, they are better served to try and downplay the issue or ignore it outright due to liability issues. I know that it can be frustrating to have a problem the manufacturer can't fix but I don't think they're really ignoring the Commander. I think they still just don't know how to fix it. Hopefully some of these flight recorders will turn up something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in