Rubicon Trail - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Rubicon Trail

Has anyone run it in anything? I've read that there are ways to bypass some of the more difficult (ie, vehicle destroying/damaging) obstacles and I'm wondering if that is the case. I'd like to get up there, just to say I did it, but I'd like to have the option of NOT destroying my vehicle if possible. Just curious as to who has done it and what they think.

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Re: Rubicon Trail

I have run the Rubicon trail. At the time my TJ had 33" tires, fully skidplated underneath with minimum 3/16" thick steel and fully rocker panel protected. I suffered very little damage but I did ruin a left rear wheel bearing on my brand new Super 44 chrom/moly rear axle and one dent in the body. There are hard and harder paths on the trail but believe me there are NO EASY PATHS anywhere. Its a grueling 22 miles of constant obstacles with a break at Rubicon Springs. The second half IS WORSE. Jeep in front of me rolled and two Grand Cherokees with large lifts and 33" tires suffered significant body damage. I would very much advise against taking your Commander up there if its as you have indicated in your signature. john
ps: I also had hard lockers front and rear

Last edited by John; 07-04-2007 at 05:58 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

Its as I described in the sig. Not too far from stock. Now, I read somewhere on one of the Rubicon Trail sites that there is a guide that will take people through with their stock 4x4s without suffering much damage - I was just curious as to whether that was even possible. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll wait a few years before I go down that road.

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Perhaps thats possible with a stock wrangler BUT not with the grand or commander. technically you can always rock stack but there are so many places that are off camber and converging boulders I cant imagin any large SUV getting through unscathed on anything less then 33" tires and including rocker panel guards of HEAVY STEEL not cosmetic types. john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in