installed new water pump and still overheats.. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,617, Level: 53 Points: 6,617, Level: 53 Points: 6,617, Level: 53
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

installed new water pump and still overheats..

so days ago coming home from work the needle moved to hot quickly and i smelled hot coolant by the time i got to my house the colant spilled on the driveway...next day i filled it with water and fired up the jeep and rellized it was leaking from the water pump.....So i went ahead and installed a new water pump and t-stat from o'reilleys auto parts....

but it is still overheating...i assumed it was a faulty t-stat so i put the old one back in and the needle moved to hot.
i did a "boiling tested" in my kitchen and both t-states opens and closed.

after reading up on vague info on the forum...i am assuming that
i didn't open up the air pocket screw and do it properly.
can some one give me step by step instructions on filling it through the air pocket screw. also...i read that i have to use the proper coolant. ( the one i got was a green o'reilleys universal 50/50 coolant)

i want an idea of what to do before i go out and spend more money on coolant..

2007 jeep commander 3.7
90100 miles...

thanks
any advice will be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
I think Sal did a post regarding filling the radiator....See if we can find it.

just did radiator flush. no heat and over heats?

REFILLING COOLING SYSTEM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015

Last edited by cico7; 01-03-2014 at 08:07 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,418, Level: 100 Points: 59,418, Level: 100 Points: 59,418, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by gover805 View Post
also...i read that i have to use the proper coolant. ( the one i got was a green o'reilleys universal 50/50 coolant)

i want an idea of what to do before i go out and spend more money on coolant..
You need to use a HOAT coolant. There only 2 choices available:
  1. Mopar coolant from the dealer
  2. Zerex G-05
You can get the Zerex G-05 from O'Reilleys for about $20/gal.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

First off you are using the wrong coolant. I would drain the entire system and start over. You are most likely still over heating because you still have an air pocket in the system

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
First off you are using the wrong coolant. I would drain the entire system and start over. You are most likely still over heating because you still have an air pocket in the system
Agreed.....this is a must

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. At least during before replacing the pump/thermostat, i'd run some Prestone flush (ensure the heater setting is set to the warmest level; want to ensure the flush enters the heater core as well). I'd avoid ever running tap water from the hose to 'flush' the system. You want to keep the system free from minerals in tap water. Running a few gallons of distilled water shouldn't cost too much.

I typically also pull the radiator hoses from and clean the insides w/ a wired brush, as well as the housing/ports they're connected to. Only then I'd start to reassemble the hoses, thermostat and water pump all together. Next is to use the proper antifreeze/coolant mix (Mopar or Zerex). There after, make sure to properly bleed the system. I typically do it w/ the heater set on, while the engine is running....then after it shuts off, about 15-30mins after, bleed while it's off (squeeze the upper hose). After you've bled the system, ensure to top off the external tank to the full mark. Let it sit overnight, and then the next time you're about to start, check the fluid level and top off if necessary.

Join us on Facebook @

2007 BMW 335i Sedan
2006 Jeep Commander Limited HEMI

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Modern engines and cooling systems often trap air in the cooling system after draining and refilling them. If this happens, you likely to overheat until you've worked the air out of the system. After you fill the system, run the engine a few minutes, if its still cool open the radiator and fill it again, a lot of air might have worked its way up there.

I've often experienced overheating right after refilling the cooling system on a lot of vehicles I've owned. I haven't done my Commander yet, but my brother's '07 GC has the exact same engine and cooling system and when we drained and refilled his, he experienced an overheat on the first test drive. We let it cool, popped the pressure cap and filled it with more coolant and he checked it a dozen time over the next two weeks and kept topping it off as the air worked its way out. But after the first time, it never overheated again.

A word on Chemical Flushes:
When its recommended to flush your cooling system, it means to flush your cooling system with water, the only time you need to use harsh chemical additives in a flush if is you have some sort of built up deposits in your cooling system that are bad enough that they are hampering your cooling system. The chemicals can damage seals and hoses, especially if you don't fully flush them out of the system before refilling. If there is no evidence of build up in the cooling system, that needs some sort of chemical to loosen it to help flush it out, why would you put those harsh chemicals in your cooling system? So don't.

A Word on Anti-Freeze:
Do NOT mix anti-freezes, of one type and another.
For the most reliable results, use the OEM recommended anti-freeze, like mention, that is Chrysler Spec HOAT and the only anti-freezes I'm aware of that meet that spec is the actual anti-freeze from the Dealer or Zerex G-05.

Although NOT recommended, you are unlikely to have a problem if you switch to another type of anti-freeze, provided you fully drain and flush the system before switching to another type, so you don't mix it with an incompatible type of anti-freeze.

The Old Conventional Green IAT anti-freezes still are the best protecting anti-freeze, as long as you use distilled water to mix with it and change it every 2 years/30k miles, which no one ever did, that is why we have 2 dozen special new long life anti-freezes.

Avoid GM Dexcool like the plague, even though they have improved it, it still has all sorts of problems. And sadly, all the aftermarket anti-freeze companies are packaging their own versions of GM Dexcool and calling it an universal anti-freeze, which it is anything but. Look at the ingredients on the jug, if it says it contains 2-Ethylhexyl Acrylate or 2-EHA it is DexCool. Sometimes they will list the Industry Spec additive package number, which I forget what it is for DexCool.

Don't rely on the color of the anti-freeze, its just dye, and two totally incompatible anti-freezes can be dyed the same color. As well, two identical anti-freezes can be different colors because the company selling it uses different dyes.

And that is finally that is probably the smartest and safest advice, instead of doing hours of research to figure this all out, and you might still be wrong, just stick with what is proven, the Dealer Anti-Freeze of Zerex G-05?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 06:51 AM
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

Send a message via AIM to donaldspark Send a message via Skype™ to donaldspark
on first start up turn a/c on see if fans are on.could be air invaded.run car till starts to get hot turn off let sit for a while open cap fill coolant put cap on do it again.leaving heat on high while doing this .cheack for heat when hot my have to do this few times.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Just tell you one puzzling one I had , although water pump on it was fine.
* Changed coolant.... flushed system well. Then filled : run it with the heater temp on high (not the fan, the temp), cap on radiator open/off, get to running temp.... let it run @ running temp about 15 min. & fill as coolant goes down & that gets the air out of the system. When seeing no change in coolant level ... you've gotten the air bubbles out. Put cap back on while it's running. Don't turn it off and then put the cap on. Note : keep hands and fingers away from the fan & moving or hot parts.

Then, it didn't overheat as quickly, but still overheated. Changed Thermostat.
Again.. took even longer to overheat, but still overheated.

Changed fan clutch ; vehicle no longer overheated.

I think it was a combination of all 3 things together, that was causing the overheating.

Last edited by Eagleks; 02-01-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in