Tranny trouble - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,972, Level: 26 Points: 1,972, Level: 26 Points: 1,972, Level: 26
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tranny trouble

I have always thought something was alittle funny about my transmision!! Got a 06 2 whelldrive with a 4.7 motor, when I go to slow down I can feel the tranny down shifting, especially to the lower gears, seems to be getting worst. Also have had a couple of times where it will down shift going down a small hill with the cruise on, was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what is the solution?? Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 AM
TPS
Points: 8,524, Level: 62 Points: 8,524, Level: 62 Points: 8,524, Level: 62
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%

Re: Tranny trouble

I know mine has the hill descent feature (4.7L, 4x4) which I feel holding the vehicle back sometimes as I coast down hills.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPS
I know mine has the hill descent feature (4.7L, 4x4) which I feel holding the vehicle back sometimes as I coast down hills.
I thought only the 2008's had the hill descent feature.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

As 5253 said though, if you're "coasting" downhill with the cruise on, the cruise is dedicated to keeping the Jeep a constant speed. That means up and down shifting as necessary.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Points: 2,195, Level: 28 Points: 2,195, Level: 28 Points: 2,195, Level: 28
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

I am having similar problems with the tranny. It shifts funky when slowing down at stop signs red lights etc. The biggest thing that it has started recently is when traveling down the road with the cruise on. We were on the interstate when it did it the first time it shifts up and down for no reason we were on flat land. It runs the rpms sometimes to almost 6k. So it is going to be looked at tom. I am dropping it off at the dealer tonight. It does this odd shifting at any speed put only with the cruise on of course. I also find it slipping when I first put it into gear after sitting. You put it in gear and nothing happens. You give it gas and nothing. I have had this problem for sometime but the dealer I was going to said they did not see anything wrong and it had no problems. So new dealer same problems we will see what they can find. However, when I was at the dealer last week and described my problems the man was not suprised to hear some of my complaints. So I feel much better about this dealer already. I will let you know how it goes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33 Points: 2,940, Level: 33
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlambert95
I am having similar problems with the tranny. It shifts funky when slowing down at stop signs red lights etc. The biggest thing that it has started recently is when traveling down the road with the cruise on. We were on the interstate when it did it the first time it shifts up and down for no reason we were on flat land. It runs the rpms sometimes to almost 6k. So it is going to be looked at tom. I am dropping it off at the dealer tonight. It does this odd shifting at any speed put only with the cruise on of course. I also find it slipping when I first put it into gear after sitting. You put it in gear and nothing happens. You give it gas and nothing. I have had this problem for sometime but the dealer I was going to said they did not see anything wrong and it had no problems. So new dealer same problems we will see what they can find. However, when I was at the dealer last week and described my problems the man was not suprised to hear some of my complaints. So I feel much better about this dealer already. I will let you know how it goes.

I have the same issue with mine - '06 4x4 Hemi Limited. I have had the dealership look into several times and they claim the shifting is "normal" and the tranny is shifting based on my driving habbits (which are pretty harsh)

The tranny went at 850 miles and had to be rebuilt. I still think it has minor issues but get the same "we cannot find a problem" out of the service department. I guess that is why I have an extended warrenty
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Points: 6,355, Level: 52 Points: 6,355, Level: 52 Points: 6,355, Level: 52
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

wish I could have gottent the life time drive train warranty thing. They started that 6 weeks after I bought my Commander.....damn.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I

My 3.7 4x4 has hill descent with cruise, I usually cancel the cruise to let it coast.
I also get the trans holding a shift to 6K with cruise and even if I try to upshift, it won't but that's usually only when I'm on the highway.
Yesterday without the cruise it wouldn't shift out of 4th
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253
Hill descent control is first being made available on the 2008 models. What you are calling hill descent is the normal process that all cars use when the cruise is on. And yes it is a form of "descent control" but it only works when the cruise is on and uses trans. shifting to control the speed. It is not the true hill descent control that uses the brakes.

Hill Ascent control assists the driver when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill by maintaining the same level of brake pressure the driver applied for a short period of time after the foot has been removed from the brake pedal. The system will release the brake pedal in proportion to the amount of throttle applied. If the throttle is not applied within a short period of time after the foot has been removed from the brake pedal, Hill Ascent Control will release brake pressure.

Hill Descent control allows a smooth and controlled hill descent on rough or slippery terrain without the driver needing to touch the brake pedal. This system applies the brakes to each wheel individually when needed to reduce forward motion while negotiating down steep grades.
Right, that's why I said hill descent with cruise and not all cars have it. All cars will let up but not slow them down.

Last edited by YB Normyl; 08-28-2007 at 03:53 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

My 06 Hemi Limited does slow me down on a descent with the cruise on in order to maintain speed. I like it.

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in