06 Commander - Trim removal to access liftgate latch? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

06 Commander - Trim removal to access liftgate latch?

My liftgate ajar warning is permanently on and am going to attempt to switch the wires per this service bulletin...
http://wkjeeps.com/TSB/tsb_wk_0802207.pdf
or just disconnect if that doesnt work.

Anyone accessed the rear latch to get to the connector before and have advice as to how to correctly remove the trim. Links or Pictures would of course be awesome!

Thanks in advance to any who help me out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Well with no responses I went at it blind.. was not as simple as hoped but successful non-the-less:

The whole back liftgate single trim panel needs to be removed.

Remove four (4) phillips screws and one Torx 15 screw (at bottom - tricky to angle at).

Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, carefully pry the trim panel away from the inside of the liftgate to release the push-pin plastic fasteners that secure the panel to the liftgate.

Disconnect the lamp from the lower liftgate trim panel. The clear plastic lamp cover popped off on its own (which released the lamp from the panel) when i popped off the trim panel - so dont step on it. When re-installing: you should release the wire connector (squeeze and pull) from the lamp and align and snap together the clear plastic cover and the now separated lamp into the lamp hole in the panel. Then when holding panel back into place you can simply plug the wire connector back into the already installed lamp)

Remove the liftgate lower trim panel from the vehicle.

Remove the liftgate watershield.(black insulating foamy piece that covers up the latch area at the base of the door).

There will be two wires , one black and the other Violet with orange stripe running to a connector on the latch. I could not see very well or access the connector inside the door panel so I actually had to completely remove the latch by unscrewing the three (3) torx 30 screws in the underside/base of the door. Once the latch is free you can pull it out in order to access the connector. Squeeze to remove the wire connector.

Once disconnected you will no longer get the Liftgate is Open warning light and the interior lights will no longer be foreced on while driving. Although the intereior lights will no longer automatically come on when accessing the liftgate. This is not a big deal to me because when you unlock the car using your keys, the interior lights come on anyway (which i always do when accessing the liftgate).

There is a service bulletin (see first post above) that outlines switching these wires to resolve the erroneous Liftgate Open warning that may allow you to reconnect and have the liftgate return to normal operation. However, I am not terribly gifted with electrical and saw no easy method to dismantle the existing connector in order to easily switch the wires. Only method i could see was to cut and strip the wires above the connector and reconnect/switch wires that way (by soldering and using shrink tubing - or just twisting and using electrical tape). Anyway.. i was doing this all in 10 degree weather in chicago in my driveway and was not looking to be out there any longer (had lost feeling in my hands/toes) so just disconnected and am happy to no longer have the Liftgate ajar warnings!

Last edited by hinsdale1; 01-25-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in