Red Paint Codes. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Red Paint Codes.

I have a 2006 Inferno Red Commander. Yay. My paint code on the door sticker is PRJ. Recently I discovered a couple scratches on a door so I went to the dealer with my VIN and paint code for them to order me touchup paint. No biggie, right?

Well, when it came in, it is paint code PRH, which they are telling me, by the book, is the same. I do not believe it is.

Can I get owners of the "other" red colors to tell me what your color and paint code is? Your paint code is found on the sticker on your drivers side door. Bottom row, on the right 1/2 of the sticker.

PRH looks darker than inferno, I'm wondering if it's Blaze Red, or the new Red Rock color. On the bottle, it's definitely darker than mine and I'm not really wanting to put it on my Jeep until I confirm in my own mind what color this touchup paint is.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Re: Red Paint Codes.

I ran into the same problem. Try to have the dealer cross-reference it with the same color for a Grand Cherokee, they might be different.

My dealer said that Jeep seems to be recycling their paint codes, which is a big no-no since it confuses everyone.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

I think the bigger problem is that they discontinued Inferno Red, but then painted vehicles Blaze Red and still tagged them as Inferno Red. I know that happened in late 2005 on the Magnums. I just wish there were a color description on the bottle... That would make it much easier.

I guess i'll try a little on the underneath and see what it looks like, or inside the door somewhere.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Points: 5,134, Level: 45 Points: 5,134, Level: 45 Points: 5,134, Level: 45
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Red,I will see if I can get any info for you since this is right up my alley ( I run a large collision shop).Inferno red is a 3-stage paint and the touch up might not look correct.Usually touch up wont match perfectly because of the metallics not being sprayed, but touch up is a good idea to help prevent rust.I have seen Mopar codes being different on the last digit for touch up.I'll post tomorrow.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Points: 1,509, Level: 22 Points: 1,509, Level: 22 Points: 1,509, Level: 22
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

I used to run a mobile paint repair company. Chyrsler miss codes all the time. Touch up on a three stage with not look perfect for sure. Sometimes you can just take clear coat and put it over the scratch and that will look better than using touch up paint. However, you have to see if you even have the three stage paint. I think you may not...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadelstein
However, you have to see if you even have the three stage paint. I think you may not...
How can I tell?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrepid43
Red,I will see if I can get any info for you since this is right up my alley ( I run a large collision shop).Inferno red is a 3-stage paint and the touch up might not look correct.Usually touch up wont match perfectly because of the metallics not being sprayed, but touch up is a good idea to help prevent rust.I have seen Mopar codes being different on the last digit for touch up.I'll post tomorrow.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I dabbed some on the rear hatch under the back glass, doesn't look the same color to me, seems darker, but I'm pretty critical when it comes to stuff like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr

My XK was touched up by the dealer before I bought it near the gas cap, and I notice it when I fill up as it is a darker red. Its not noticeable from a distance, but it is hidden by the filler door.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Points: 3,197, Level: 34 Points: 3,197, Level: 34 Points: 3,197, Level: 34
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCommander
I have a 2006 Inferno Red Commander. Yay. My paint code on the door sticker is PRJ....Well, when it came in, it is paint code PRH, which they are telling me, by the book, is the same. I do not believe it is...
"PRH" and "PRJ" are the same (Inferno Red or aka Blaze red). These are sales codes and can be different for different vehicles/different model years. The Mopar part # for the PRH or PRJ tube is 04889836AB and for the PRH or PRJ spray 04889837AA.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Points: 5,134, Level: 45 Points: 5,134, Level: 45 Points: 5,134, Level: 45
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%

Ok, acording to our color charts (Sherwin Williams) there are 2 versions of this color, PRJ is a 2-stage color which is your regular basecoat/clearcoat color, and PRH which has a tinted clearcoat (3 stage). both are called Inferno Red in our books. Just remember with touch up, less is more, use as little as possible to cover the damaged area. -43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in