Help : identifying the hitch - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Help : identifying the hitch

bought an 07 Commander, dealer ran the VIN, says Tow Group option was included. The hitch on there, looks all Jeep installed, whether those are done by the factory or the dealer. But, there is NO info on which hitch.

I found one spec that said only Class II or Class IV were available as an option. Don't know if that's really correct.

The hole for the receiver on mine is a 2"X2" opening. Typically a 2" X 2" is a Class III or Class IV hitch. Class I & Class II are typically 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" in size. But..... with some manufacturers there are 'some' exemptions to this and they have Class II's with a 2X2" hole.

So, I have no idea which "hitch" and class of hitch this really is. Anyone know a good way to positively ID which one it is ? Talked to the 2 dealers here, and one even looked it over well & they can't tell me either, except that it's factory installed.

Literally, the only thing we can find on the hitch is one number , 32090382AB. That's it. Not stamped with a weight limit that I can find. At least not any obvious place. If you know of any locations it "should" have number or capacity or class stamped on it, please let me know.

Any ideas how to ID this thing and the class ? I'm wanting to make sure minimally a Class III 5000 lb hitch.

Last edited by Eagleks; 02-01-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Post a pic of the hitch. Also, which engine do you have and is it 4WD ? You can get a build sheet from Chrysler for free. It will tell you everything that was on your vehicle at time of manufacture. If you bought it used a previous owner may have made modifications.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

* Engine is the 4.7L , 4X4, Trail Ready (which I also verified).
* VIN info shows Tow Group option was on the vehicle. Also, MOPAR stickers on wiring and on hitch, but no capacity, #'s, etc. on it. The wiring plug is installed into a permanent bracket /part of hitch, dealer 'visually' verified that's the factory installation.
* VIN info just says .. "Tow Group option" was on the vehicle, not which hitch was installed.

Below is exactly what it looks like. I will try to post some underneath pic's later, but right now it's covered in "ice" from the storm that moved thru last night.

Last edited by Eagleks; 02-01-2014 at 10:52 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100 Points: 59,435, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
That is the factory installed Class IV hitch. The 4.7L engine is rated to tow no more than 6500 lbs.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in