New Commander owner with a few issues - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Points: 511, Level: 10 Points: 511, Level: 10 Points: 511, Level: 10
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

New Commander owner with a few issues

Hi new to forum quick intro. Just bought a commander after a decent amount of research. I have a sick daughter and need to have a vehicle that could fit in parking structures. So I sold my 03 dodge 2500 cummins 4x4 crew and bought a 2008 commander sport 4.7 4x4 U package, to fit my family's needs.I love the jeep and the fact that it can fit my family of 5. Our second vehicle is a Tahoe, good to have 2 family friendly vehicles. Well had it about 2 weeks now, really like it. I have had a few issues though.
1. It rained here the other day (rare in San Diego) and water was dripping out of pillar.

2. I was driving the other day and while taking a tight right turn, my esp bas traction and service 4x4 lights came on. Turned off and light went off, ran codes and only one was brake switch and key FOB battery low.

This hasn't detered me as a commander owner, my cummins wasn't without problems. I just want to see if I can make repairs on my own. Jeep has 64000 mile but not under warranty.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

Welcome aboard. Does your jeep have a sunroof? If yes, your problem is most likely with the front drains. They clog up very easily and the sunroof tray overflows, resulting in water dripping out of the screw holes on the apillar. So, if you have a sunroof, you basically need to pull up the carpet on the drivers and passenger side (front, closer to the doors) and find the blue flex-hose. Pull it out of the floor and either clear or cut off the rubber nipple on the end. Put it back in and you should be good to go. There is a video somewhere on youtube of the entire procedure. Some people have been successful with just blowing compressed air through the drain holes - there is one on each side of the sunroof.
If you dont have a sunroof, the problem may be with the door moulding. Do a search on here and you'll find a couple threads about members dealing with the issue. Either way, should not be hard to fix.

Your second problem is most likely not going to repeat itself. Had the same lights come on about a year ago during a tight maneuver. All lights were gone the following day. I took the truck to the dealer anyway. They cleared the computer and said it had something to do with the wheel speed sensor. Nothing to worry about. Havent had any issues since.
Good luck!

2010 Jeep Commander Sport Hemi
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

I have had both issues.

The water leak is due to the drain tubes or maybe the gutter on the edge of the sunroof where the water goes. Get some compressed air to blast those tubes out from the top or feed some weed whacker string down there... Clean them out.

Another thing to consider is recalibrating your sunroof. On the sunroof buttons, there is a certain configuration to press them to recalibrate the class to fit the way it is supposed to when shut. Google it. Very useful to know about...

The brake switch is like a 20 dollar part from the dealership. It sits behind the brake peddle and basically controls your break lights when you press on the brakes. It is just about as easy to replace as a light bulb. But make sure you read the instructions to replace it or you can ruin the part and need to buy a new one...

Also, be sure to make sure you brake lights are currently working prior to driving anywhere though. I almost got into an accident on my way to pick up the part because the lady behind me didnt see any lights come on...

Good luck with your jeep! Work out the kinks and it will all be well worth it!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Points: 511, Level: 10 Points: 511, Level: 10 Points: 511, Level: 10
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%

Thanks for the help I cleared the sunroof drains with air and tested them with a bottle of water, and replaced the brake switch and so far so so good. About 25 bucks in supplies and 30 min and good as new.
Thanks
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in