I bought a 2007 Commander Limited with the 4.7 V8 at a wholesale auction in November. The truck has only 70k miles on it and it is immaculate. HOWEVER, I have had so many performance issues with it that I absolutely hate the vehicle and am trying to dump it. The issues I have had and have been unable to correct despite spending over $2,300:
(1) When the truck arrived, the front floorboard was soaked. At first I thought it was an overly aggressive detailer, but later learned of the propensity for the drain holes to clog, etc. I did manage to get this fixed at the dealer for about 100 bucks. I know this is something that can easily be done on your own.
(2) Erratic idle - Sometimes the engine will idle up and then drop down and then rev up again, over and over, whether the engine is cold or warm. Dealer replaced plugs but this has not solved the problem. After repeated service visits where I've left the truck for days/weeks at a time, they say they can't duplicate it. This problem continues intermittently.
(3) When I first got the truck, I was experiencing erratic shifting, including up and downshifts at interstate speeds WHILE COASTING (no engine load). It did this under virtually all driving conditions. Dealer replaced shift solenoid. Also said the truck had been locked up in 4WD but did something to fix this (I can't recall). Initially, I thought the problem was fixed, but the transmission shifts ALL THE TIME, up and down, constantly. It is so irritating, probably the biggest irritation of owning this truck. The transmission never seems like it is in the right gear. Again, dealer says they can't duplicate the problem, no trouble codes stored, etc. I may be picky, but I know when a tranmission is not working right. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice before I sell this thing to the first bidder?
(4) When the tranmission shifts into top gear at around 40 MPH (it's either 5th gear or the torque converter, I'm not certain), the tranny makes a distinctly louder noise that is very disconcerting. I cringe every time the transmission is about to upshift. Again, dealer sees no problem. I can't remember if the transmission made this sound before they replaced the shift solenoid.
(5) Intermittent hard 2-1 downshifts when coasting to a stop.
(6) Absolutely abysmal gas mileage despite driving with a feather light foot on the throttle. I knew when I decided to buy the Commander that I was not going to get Prius mileage, but never being able to get even 14 MPG is scary. The engine is smooth but not particularly powerful. For that kind of MPG I should get way better performance.
(7) The engine has stalled once totally unexpectedly while sitting at a stop sign.
(8) The truck really labors at highway speeds (55MPH+). I realize I am pushing a block through the air, but again, performance seems way below what I would expect. In fact, I always feel like you have to "hustle" this truck to keep it moving with traffic (all the while watching the gas gage needle inch to the left).
I REALLY want to like this truck because it is the only
SUV I would consider owning (styling, Jeep image, etc.). I am devastated because this was my last shot at owning a real truck with squared-off styling, nice amenities - my mid-life crisis vehicle (I'm 48). But this ownership experience has been a nightmare. I have driven the truck less than 300 miles in four months. I did not even take it out when we had tons of snow this winter, instead relying on a 10-year-old Camry that runs way better and has fewer irritations, even with 215k on the odo.
I hear so many people gush over how much they love their Commander. I'm not feeling any of the love.
Help! I need moral support or at least some hints at what may be wrong with this Commander. It had two previous owners so it may have been a lemon from the factory.