2007 4.7L Commander Limited transmission - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Angry 2007 4.7L Commander Limited transmission

I bought a 2007 Commander Limited with the 4.7 V8 at a wholesale auction in November. The truck has only 70k miles on it and it is immaculate. HOWEVER, I have had so many performance issues with it that I absolutely hate the vehicle and am trying to dump it. The issues I have had and have been unable to correct despite spending over $2,300:

(1) When the truck arrived, the front floorboard was soaked. At first I thought it was an overly aggressive detailer, but later learned of the propensity for the drain holes to clog, etc. I did manage to get this fixed at the dealer for about 100 bucks. I know this is something that can easily be done on your own.

(2) Erratic idle - Sometimes the engine will idle up and then drop down and then rev up again, over and over, whether the engine is cold or warm. Dealer replaced plugs but this has not solved the problem. After repeated service visits where I've left the truck for days/weeks at a time, they say they can't duplicate it. This problem continues intermittently.

(3) When I first got the truck, I was experiencing erratic shifting, including up and downshifts at interstate speeds WHILE COASTING (no engine load). It did this under virtually all driving conditions. Dealer replaced shift solenoid. Also said the truck had been locked up in 4WD but did something to fix this (I can't recall). Initially, I thought the problem was fixed, but the transmission shifts ALL THE TIME, up and down, constantly. It is so irritating, probably the biggest irritation of owning this truck. The transmission never seems like it is in the right gear. Again, dealer says they can't duplicate the problem, no trouble codes stored, etc. I may be picky, but I know when a tranmission is not working right. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice before I sell this thing to the first bidder?

(4) When the tranmission shifts into top gear at around 40 MPH (it's either 5th gear or the torque converter, I'm not certain), the tranny makes a distinctly louder noise that is very disconcerting. I cringe every time the transmission is about to upshift. Again, dealer sees no problem. I can't remember if the transmission made this sound before they replaced the shift solenoid.

(5) Intermittent hard 2-1 downshifts when coasting to a stop.

(6) Absolutely abysmal gas mileage despite driving with a feather light foot on the throttle. I knew when I decided to buy the Commander that I was not going to get Prius mileage, but never being able to get even 14 MPG is scary. The engine is smooth but not particularly powerful. For that kind of MPG I should get way better performance.

(7) The engine has stalled once totally unexpectedly while sitting at a stop sign.

(8) The truck really labors at highway speeds (55MPH+). I realize I am pushing a block through the air, but again, performance seems way below what I would expect. In fact, I always feel like you have to "hustle" this truck to keep it moving with traffic (all the while watching the gas gage needle inch to the left).

I REALLY want to like this truck because it is the only SUV I would consider owning (styling, Jeep image, etc.). I am devastated because this was my last shot at owning a real truck with squared-off styling, nice amenities - my mid-life crisis vehicle (I'm 48). But this ownership experience has been a nightmare. I have driven the truck less than 300 miles in four months. I did not even take it out when we had tons of snow this winter, instead relying on a 10-year-old Camry that runs way better and has fewer irritations, even with 215k on the odo.

I hear so many people gush over how much they love their Commander. I'm not feeling any of the love.

Help! I need moral support or at least some hints at what may be wrong with this Commander. It had two previous owners so it may have been a lemon from the factory.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

I have seen some of the problems come up on the forum before the eratic idle could be the idle air control valve or the throttle position sensor which are located on the intake and not hard to change I would start with the throttle position sensor both parts can be bout for around 45dlls each. The transmission shifting funny maybe you need to drain the transmission and replace the filters inside I had read a member had issues with it becasue when he did the transmission oil change the filter was not the oringinal and anotherone the filter was not set correctly. Another thing you can try after all this is maybe getting a superchips programmer it adjust the shift points making the shifting firmer but that is not your problem that is just somehting extra I wanted to throw in.
Read throught the forum there is alot of info. (PS) what does the dealer mean stuck on 4WD if the jeep is 4x4 it runs on 4WD all the time are they a jeep dealer? Hope you get your issues resolved soon.

06 Jeep Commander 4.7 QT II wih RC lift, Superchips 3872 and 245/75R17 Thunderer MT Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, FCO. When I bought the truck "as is" at auction (I got it for $13k), I figured there would be a few things to fix and was willing to drop a couple grand to get things in good working order. So you understand my frustration in it not being right after having everything checked over.

I researched all the problems thoroughly (TSBs, etc.) to initially address some of the problems, and the TPS was one thing I flagged as a potential item. I am willing to give that a shot and have that checked by someone else. I did take it to a Jeep dealership in Midlothian, VA. I don't understand enough about how the 4x4 works on this vehicle but that is essentially what the service tech told me. Something was not disengaging apparently.

I should add that the $2,300 included some other stuff like replacing a broken strut. I did have the transmission flushed and I assume they replaced the filter (in fact, I'm pretty sure they did). I don't have the repair invoice in front of me.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:23 PM

Well basically it runs on 4x4 high all the time hence the low milage, and you can switch it to 4 low when needed. that is a rough description. but yeah at least the TPS you can do with out having to take it to the dealer they are pricy. another thing if you do change the transmission fluid don't flush the transmission it is not recommended by jeep just drop the pan and replace the filters and refill with fluid. The amout should be somewhere in the forum just serach transmission fluid change I'm sure you will find it.

06 Jeep Commander 4.7 QT II wih RC lift, Superchips 3872 and 245/75R17 Thunderer MT Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:32 PM

Well maybe the transmission flush caused the issues was it doing this before the flush or did you not really drive it around enough before the service?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Points: 418, Level: 8 Points: 418, Level: 8 Points: 418, Level: 8
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for about half an hour to "reset" the transmission shift points? That will help with that hard downshift around 20 mph, or at least it did with me. Then the vehicle will adjust to your driving. It'll shift different st first, u til it gets used to the easy way you drive it. Might help mileage a bit too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Points: 32,999, Level: 100 Points: 32,999, Level: 100 Points: 32,999, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 103,000
Garage
There have many reports of 4 wheel drive problems after the N23 Safety recall, looks like many dealers screw it up. It is the recall to fix the shifting into neutral on the transfer case problem. Just another thing to check or have redone. Maybe they meant yours was stuck in 4 wheel low? Search this forum - most things have been discussed and fixed.
Possibly find someone in your area with a simular Commander and try theirs and have them try yours.
My 06 has been problem free, other than the gas mileage

06 Commander Limited Hemi - QDII,
Past -89 Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee (2WD), 2000 Cherokee, 05 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
Had to replace the brakes - they opened more gas stations in town

Last edited by rblapham; 03-11-2014 at 08:20 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 232,700
Garage
While I don't have any recommendations for solving your issues that haven't been voiced already, I will give you one idea. Go find a similar XK for sale, and take it for a test drive. Give yourself a baseline that will help you understand how the Jeep is supposed to feel when it's running properly. Or, perhaps there is another owner who lives in your area you could meet with to check things out. There are also a couple of groups on Facebook dedicated to the Commander and XK/WK platform.

Please list all the service done and parts replaced to-date. Also, was the transmission flushed, or was it a drain/fill with both filters replaced?

Good luck. We're here to help!

2007 Jeep Commander Overland - Steel Blue
5.7L Hemi + QDII
4" SuperLift
Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs
Caroline Driveline front drive shaft
285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx
Activated: DRLs + Tilting Mirrors
Autolite Iridiums
Cobra LX 29 LE CB with Firestik antenna
Rear fog lights
Mopar Grille Guard with Rugged Ridge HID driving lights
Sylvania Silverstars Ultra hi/low

"4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

As far as the transmission is concerned, there is a known issue with the filter cracking and causing problems. I have also read about the o-ring that, if not replaced properly, will cause all kinds of headaches. Lastly, is the fluid level correct? They are somewhat of a PITA to check the level on due to the tranny having to be at operating temperature, which requires lots of driving around. My suggestion is to have someone qualified drop the pan and replace both filters and the fluid .

2010 Jeep Commander Sport Hemi
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helpful input, guys. I do have a couple of qualified mechanics in mind that I plan to have check the truck and specifically look at the issues you all have identified.

I think most of the techs at the dealership are dumb, lazy, inept, shady, or all of the above. I feel like I can count on better advice/direction from the people in this forum who actually own and love these trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Tags
reliability , shifting issues , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in