Injector Noise - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Injector Noise

I know we have talked about this before, But the tapping / Exhaust leak sound from my 5.7 is driving me NUTZ!!! I think it was decited that it was an injector.

Has anyone had this fixed, or am I being too pickey and I should live with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT OVERLAND
I know we have talked about this before, But the tapping / Exhaust leak sound from my 5.7 is driving me NUTZ!!! I think it was decited that it was an injector.

Has anyone had this fixed, or am I being too pickey and I should live with it?
You can hear it from inside? My XK diesels a bit when I first start it but after about a minute -- when the idle settles -- it smooths out. It is not noticable at all from within the cabin (even with the air down and the stereo off).
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net
You can hear it from inside? My XK diesels a bit when I first start it but after about a minute -- when the idle settles -- it smooths out. It is not noticable at all from within the cabin (even with the air down and the stereo off).
Then I may have a leak. I hear it all the time when I'm in the gas.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

There's nothing to fix. They just tick loudly.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Points: 2,100, Level: 27 Points: 2,100, Level: 27 Points: 2,100, Level: 27
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

The clicking you hear is most likely the old school push-rods that we have in our high tech Hemi's. The cam is not like most modern engines with a SOHC or DOHC that directly links with the valves but rather goes back to the older (more noisy) push rods and rockers (Because of the MDS features, it is required). The unfortunate side effect of this is clickty clacks from those 16 valves and push-rods a rockin'. Mine clicks on a regular basis (more noticeable when you first start but you can always hear it if you listen. If yours seems louder than you think it should be, then by all means I would take it to the dealer. It could be a bent rod, etc.

As far as the exhaust leak, is it a hissing sound you are hearing or is it excessive engine noise? Have you looked at exhaust underneath and checked for any black carbon build up at any of the seams? You could also look for water leaking from any of the exhaust seams when you first start it up. You won't be able to really see the manifold portion but you can certainly check from the catalytic converter back. The noise could also be the sound of the engine roaring back up through the intake manifold. This will happen when you get the RPM's approaching 3000 or higher. If your using the stock intake it has sound baffles to dampen the noise but if you are using an after-market CAI, there is no "muffler" in the intake tubing so you really can hear the engine "WOOT". If you have the stock manifold, there maybe something wrong with it.

It sounds like you really should get it into your dealer if you have this much concern...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Points: 2,100, Level: 27 Points: 2,100, Level: 27 Points: 2,100, Level: 27
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Looking at another thread that show the pics of your setup, it looks like you have the same intake that I have (Airaid). I can tell you from my experience that that thing will really make some noise when you get on it! I would bet that the exhaust leak you refer to is just the engine noise leaking back up through the intake. I actually enjoy that sound, but the first time I heard it, it startled me because I wasn't used to it... But it is quite normal.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllllo
The clicking you hear is most likely the old school push-rods that we have in our high tech Hemi's. The cam is not like most modern engines with a SOHC or DOHC that directly links with the valves but rather goes back to the older (more noisy) push rods and rockers (Because of the MDS features, it is required). The unfortunate side effect of this is clickty clacks from those 16 valves and push-rods a rockin'. Mine clicks on a regular basis (more noticeable when you first start but you can always hear it if you listen. If yours seems louder than you think it should be, then by all means I would take it to the dealer. It could be a bent rod, etc.

As far as the exhaust leak, is it a hissing sound you are hearing or is it excessive engine noise? Have you looked at exhaust underneath and checked for any black carbon build up at any of the seams? You could also look for water leaking from any of the exhaust seams when you first start it up. You won't be able to really see the manifold portion but you can certainly check from the catalytic converter back. The noise could also be the sound of the engine roaring back up through the intake manifold. This will happen when you get the RPM's approaching 3000 or higher. If your using the stock intake it has sound baffles to dampen the noise but if you are using an after-market CAI, there is no "muffler" in the intake tubing so you really can hear the engine "WOOT". If you have the stock manifold, there maybe something wrong with it.

It sounds like you really should get it into your dealer if you have this much concern...

I appreciate your reply, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the intake and I hear it at all tempatures, and speeds. I've heard this noise from day 1. It's bad, I can only tell you that it sounds like the hedder is leaking at one of the cylinders. The dealer says "They all sound that way". This being my 4th Hemi, I know that they dont "all sound that way". I'm going to bring it to another dealer, and get a second oppinion.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Points: 12,627, Level: 73 Points: 12,627, Level: 73 Points: 12,627, Level: 73
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 104000
I agree with you, CT
The noise really sucks and it is not related at all to the intake and exhaust mods. I notice mine under light to mid throttle, mostly coming from the driver side - sounds like a leaky exhaust manifold. sounds like crap.

I really don't hear it at all when the windows are up.

Under upper mid to full throttle, I don't hear it because the "WOOT" (nod to olllllllo) takes over. then the Hemi sounds like it should.

I wish there was a fix, but my "one-star" dealer says there is nothing wrong. Keep us posted if you find a fix.

-Hemi
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 05:42 AM
Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

I have a 2007 Overland with of course the Hemi Engine. I dont hear anything, windows up or down so they dont all sound like that. john
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI
I agree with you, CT
The noise really sucks and it is not related at all to the intake and exhaust mods. I notice mine under light to mid throttle, mostly coming from the driver side - sounds like a leaky exhaust manifold. sounds like crap.

I really don't hear it at all when the windows are up.

Under upper mid to full throttle, I don't hear it because the "WOOT" (nod to olllllllo) takes over. then the Hemi sounds like it should.

I wish there was a fix, but my "one-star" dealer says there is nothing wrong. Keep us posted if you find a fix.

-Hemi
You got it!!! Thats the noise!! I'm fortunate that I have 4 or 5 dealers to choose from close to me. I'm also lucky that the dealer that I bought the car from, and the only one I have brought the car too is the furthest away.

I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!!! and keep you guy posted as well. I'm trying to get the truck in this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in