Not Commander owner but considering it - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Not Commander owner but considering it

Hi folks I've been looking at a couple Commanders in my area to buy and years of 2006-2007, possibly 2008 if it will fit my budget. I enjoy looking at the Commander but have worries. I have only ever owned Toyota, Subaru and Honda. Yes I just named all the big three most reliable manufacturers, lol. I must say I've never had an issue but I am interested in the Commander.

Now I have friends, Co workers and their own as well who have warned me to not consider the Jeep brand. I get asked if Toyota, Subaru, Honda and others have been so good to you, why would you consider an unreliable brand like Jeep? I say I enjoy looking at the damn thing and we'll I've heard the four wheel drive is pretty darn good. Lol.

So what does everyone have to say here? Would you recommend? And how does the Commander stand up against those I've owned as far as reliability?

I hear some say the Commander is amazing and I hear some say it's Jeep Junk or just a pos Chrysler.

Will I get the same or more reliability like I get with the brands I have previously owned? Should I be always ready for something to go wrong or break? I've never been a fan of anything else Jeep made but the Commander strikes my fancy. I just don't want to make an investment to only regret it. I know things don't always go smoothly and I know from time to time you may have to spend a little to fix things but I don't want a nightmare, which I've heard that's all Jeeps are.

Can I get high high milage like a Toyota, Subaru or Honda? Or some what reliability? Or should I stay away? I want something I can mod a little and drive till it can no longer drive another mile. I want this to be a long lasting vehicle and something I'll be driving 10 years down the road with many more years to come.

Helpme, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 05:10 AM
Points: 6,722, Level: 53 Points: 6,722, Level: 53 Points: 6,722, Level: 53
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 170000
Well IMO, No matter what the make or model of a vehicle is you will have people that have had great experiences and others with terrible ones that will warn you to never even look at the vehicle. The Commander is no exception. I personally have found it one of the most reliable vehicles to have. Rarely breaks and seems to always be ready for whatever I throw at it.
A few of the key reason i think most people picked the commander is they are either die hard jeep fans or knew enough to give the brand a shot considering its legendary off road skills. I couldn't stand not owning a jeep. Also the commander fills the niche of a 7 seat SUV that some of us really needed so we couldn't go with the wrangler or other models.. Need lots of room when you got a family and dogs
I doubt you will ever find things to stop modding on your commander if you get one. You will probably run out of money before that happens Just a quick look around this site will show you some of the truly impressive things people have done to Jeeps. It will make you very jealous haha.
As far as the MPG, if this is a deal breaker i'm afraid the commander might not be for you. I believe some of the V-6's can get up to 20 highway... maybe. But I average 15MPG with my V-8. This is the trade off you have when your vehicle is capable of going just about anywhere!
Good luck with search.

-Matt

2008 Commander, 4.7 QTII
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
I've owned Jeeps since 92. Bought a brand Wrangler and have been hooked since. I sold every one, except the Wrangler, I flooded it and blew the engine a year later, with well over 100k, in perfect running condition and solid bodies. just got tired of them and wanted newer. The commander is by far the best. I don't care what you drive, if you take care of it, it'll be there for you. Whats nice about Jeeps is that if you're a do it yourselfer, they are easy to work on with parts always available, especially mods. What you read on this forum as far as other people issues/problems, i guarantee you go on any of the other auto forums, foreign and domestic, and you'll find that they have they're share of issues as well. Mechanics and moving parts wear out and fail. They all require maintenance and theres always gonna be upkeep.

I say if you like the looks of the XK, get yourself out there and test drive the 3.7 and 4.7 l. You'll be impressed either way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

I bought my Commander as a senior in high school years ago. And I have since driven it like a pissed off teenager. Mine has held up like a tank, despite being way past some of the service intervals... not all of which I could help.

I never swapped the trans fluid (too many miles imo), and all the other fluids didn't get changed until 130k. I did plugs, serpentine belt, tires, front brakes & rotors, oil changes, and tire rotations as regular stuff. The suspension is still all factory (minus the rear shocks, replaced those because I wanted to) and I've only had to fix/replace the climate control lighting and multi-function switch (both myself). Other than that, everything I've done to it has been for fun, and she's still going strong. I don't care what people say, my family hasn't had terrible issues at all with Chrysler vehicles.

Black 2006 3.7 Sport

RC Lift & 2.2 Series Shocks | Hypertech Programmer | General Grabber ATē on Ultra Mavericks | Magnaflow Exhaust | 6000k HIDs | Complete LED conversion | K&N CAI | Stubby antennae | Bull Bar | Chrome

Last edited by Nitemare3219; 04-08-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in