Beating on my XK to see what it can take - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6,403, Level: 52 Points: 6,403, Level: 52 Points: 6,403, Level: 52
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to Command This.
Beating on my XK to see what it can take

Well I’m going to start off by saying that I am not writing this to make up for my little pecker (or engine) . I just want to tell a story. I bought my 65th edition 3.7L Commander last Thanksgiving because I have always wanted a Commander ever since I saw them as a concept. I was initially hesitant about buying a jeep with all time 4wd and a V6 but I was confident that Jeep wouldn’t let me down. Getting to the point I put it to the test. I really have pushed it to the point of damage and getting stuck but that’s what Jeeps are for! I have taken this through sand roads in 12" of fresh packing snow, gone off roading in the Sierra Nevada mountains around Lake Tahoe on rock and sand, driven all over the sand fire roads of northern Wisconsin and taken on some serious washouts & water, driven around suburbia on wet roads & ice, and have only had an issue once. I got stuck in powder sand on the side of a mountain on the SE side of Lake Tahoe on the Carson range. I blazed my own trail over downed trees and sagebrush only to have a hatchet save me. I had to cut down an 8in diameter pine to get onto a trail after a half mile of off trail crawling. It was hairy and I can confidently say I don’t know how many vehicles could have gotten out of that mess due to the grade and how light the sand was. It was quite the offroading learning experience.
I also recently took a severely washed out sand road on a hill with 5 other passengers in the rig. Everyone was yelling at me because they thought the rig was going to roll or get stuck. I had her on two wheels numerous times and definitely was pushing the roll angles. I was surprised what I had driven through when I got out to take a look. I never would have taken my Explorer through that.
The last little story is a suburbia story. I was going down a hill early one winter morning that has a decent bend in it. Well needless to say I was going too fast and we had had some sleet the night before and this hill is notorious for ice. I hit it and felt the back end go lose but before I reacted to turn out of it I could hear my roll mitigation/traction control/brakes going. I actually heard the different brakes engage to right my direction. It was amazing. I drove straight out of it. I actually took both hands off the wheel for a second in disbelief after that happened like in the Lexus commercial when it’s parallel parking for him. That was cool because I could have hit a parked car or given someone a lawn job.
Well, I am confident that the 3.7 QT1 will take me through 95% of the roads I can put it through without seeking out a Jeep Jamboree You can hardly get the tires to slip but when they do it kicks the power to the ones with the grip and off you go. Its best when pulling out into traffic on a rainy day. I know you guys with the HEMIS have a great engine and 4WD system but don’t turn your noses up to the QT1, he’s no slouch either!

I Love My JEEP!!

Last edited by Command This.; 10-18-2007 at 02:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Nice job. Thanks for experimenting for us!

I agree on the abilitys of QT1 as well.

I think the manual states the ability to climb 35 degree inclines. I have not found this to be a problem at all.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Personally I think Jeep should ditch the 2WD models and put QT1 as the base system.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

For future note: When you go out to "test" the XK, take pictures! =)

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

Sounds to me like your a real risk taker and it's just a matter of time before you total it. Hopefully you don't kill someone in the process.
Have you ever heard of "Tread Lightly"?
By the way, you might consider a Wrangler next time.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

There is nothing wrong with taking your vehicle to the limits of its capabilities. I suspect that the limits of most people's heart is less than the limits of the XK. I won't say I go as far as CT does, but I won't shirk from a challenge. And, how is someone supposed to take their five kids off-roading with a Wrangler? Luggage rack?

Each vehicle has a purpose, the XK IS an off-road vehicle with a high-capacity passenger capability. That is what I use mine for.

However, I agree with "tread-lightly." But that doesn't mean, "don't tread at all."

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

Nice to hear someone commending the commanders capabilities. Great story and thanks for the time Command This!
- JJ
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

"I also recently took a severely washed out sand road on a hill with 5 other passengers in the rig. Everyone was yelling at me because they thought the rig was going to roll or get stuck."
Sorry, If I am doing this kind of off-roading I wouldn't have my Jeep loaded with my 5 kids.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
I agree with PolarBZ, Tread Lightly is the rule, not a suggestion. "Blazing your own trail", while it sounds like fun, is a no-no and is what helps the bunny-huggers get the legitimate trails closed down.

At least you're using your truck off-road, which is more than most XKs will see. Just be prudent about your wheeling activities.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,403, Level: 52 Points: 6,403, Level: 52 Points: 6,403, Level: 52
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%

Send a message via AIM to Command This.
Tread Lightly

OK guys. I think you misunderstood. I never said I had 5 kids in the rig. I don’t have kids. I had 5 of my adult buddies on a numbered fire road that is totally legal to drive on.
Second when I got stuck in Tahoe I was literally on the side of a mountain and this was the ONLY way out. The road dead ended on a steep slope in a sand pit where you could see others had gotten stuck. A wrecker would not have been able to get me out due to my location and if they did that would have done way more damage to the land than me crawling through the woods and cutting down ONE tree so I could get out of that mess. The people in the car thought I was going to roll or get stuck because they drive cars. I knew my capabilities and showed them what a jeep can do. Needless to say they were pumped up and impressed when we went straight through it.
I agree with all of you when you say tread lightly, I have seen the worst of it in Northern Wisconsin. The DNR shut down access to all roads that were not numbered fire roads due to ATVs that completely trashed a protected wetland in the Chequamegon National Forest. That is the area I deer hunt in and it really fires me up to see people driving where they aren’t supposed to.
WALKJON- Your comments are pretty unjustifiable to say I am going to total my XK or kill someone. I push the limits in "the most capable 7 passenger SUV" but I am not going to take something that I know can’t be conquered. I don’t use my XK to take the kids to soccer practice, I use it to haul all my buddies & gear to my next adventure. It’s a JEEP not a Dodge Caravan.
Go to camp Jeep and see what they will let you take THEIR jeeps on. You may be surprised.
Thanks all for the comments! Go out and get those XKs dirty! But tread lightly

Last edited by Command This.; 10-18-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in