Debating to sell.....Please help. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Points: 11,226, Level: 69 Points: 11,226, Level: 69 Points: 11,226, Level: 69
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Debating to sell.....Please help.

So, I am in the military and getting ready to move to Hawaii for 3 years. The Army will only ship one vehicle and we decided to ship the car because of it's fuel economy. So, the plan is that the Jeep is going to be at the in-laws and used as our vehicle whenever we decide to visit home (not going to be much). The in laws said they would take care of it for us to keep it up until we get back. This planned sounded perfect because it's paid off and I don't want another car payment when I get back. She only has 89,000 miles on her and the only thing that I had to do was replace the water pump and routine maintenance. Here recently I am really debating to sell her because she is going to be sitting so much and I can get whatever I want when we get back, but that equals another car payment plus we want to buy a house as well. So, I guess the question is should I keep or should I sell from a financial stand point? Money really isn't an issue but want to make the smartest decision for our future in purchasing a house. I am still youngish so I would like the more experienced people to share there advice. I keep telling myself to keep her until she stops running and that's the more logical option. Please share you thoughts and advice so I can stop going back and forth. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
I would say sell the Jeep. Cars are a depreciating asset and you won't get as much later as you can now. Take the sale money and put it into some financial product which will grow until you're ready to cash it out to purchase a good, late model used car. Thanks for your service and enjoy Hawaii. Cheers. Jorge

2006 Limited, Light Khaki Metallic, Light Graystone/Dark Khaki Leather, HEMI, QDII, Rear DVD, REC Nav w/09 Database, woody side, EGR hood deflector, AEM Gun Metal Brute Force CAI, tilting rearview mirrors.
“I did not enter politics out of philanthropy but rather as an extension of my own annoyance at having inherited freedoms infringed by power-crazed idiots spouting gibberish”. Nigel Farage MEP; Leader, UK Independence Party
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
If you were to be deployed for 6 mos to a year, I'd say keep it. Three years is a long time for a vecicle to sit, even though your inlaws are taking care of it. I wouldn't want to put that on them, or anyone, for that matter. I'd sell it, especially since money will not be an issue upon arrival. If you still had the itch for an XK, you can always go back. I'd look for a 2010, from the south, less rust!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Points: 11,226, Level: 69 Points: 11,226, Level: 69 Points: 11,226, Level: 69
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

Thanks for the insight. I will definitely look into selling it. It just sucks because I only got to enjoy her lifted for 7 months lol. I was deployed and the wife took care of getting it ready for me to come home. I originally wanted a truck (Tundra) but the wife said it was too big so we got the Jeep. So, I might look into getting one of those when we get back. Thanks again for helping me put things into perspective.

Last edited by yomahomie03; 05-07-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in