Commander saved for now. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Commander saved for now.

It's sounds like the Commander didn't get cut this morning. They are giving the ax to the Magnum, Crossfire, PT, Pacifica.
They didn't say when this would happen but I am guessing 08 will be the last model year for all of those models.
Hopefully the Commander will be made through the end of its product/life cycle which should be 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Well that is good news. I've seen commercials lately featuring the Commander. That's a good sign too.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:13 PM
Points: 7,753, Level: 59 Points: 7,753, Level: 59 Points: 7,753, Level: 59

They cut the magnum?!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

I haven't yet seen the official word on the Chysler media blog, but if this it true...

They probably cut the Magnum due to slowing sales and to make room for Challenger production.

And the PT Cruiser and Pacifica run on their own architecture's, right? That makes them targets for the axe if sales are slumping.

What is good for the Commander is that it shares a lot with the Grand Cherokee.

Chrysler LLC is going to be making an effort to share as much as possible with other vehicles without simply badge engineering. For example the Jeep JT is strongly being considered for production because it reportedly only uses four distinct major parts compared to the Wrangler.

Whatever we see in 2010 - 2011 for the Chrysler LLC "full"-size SUVs will probably be all on the same architecture with many shared components, just very different sheet metal ... much like the current Grand Cherokee and Commander.

For what it's worth... I had a loaner Chrysler Sebring sedan while my Cherokee was in the shop last week. The interior was fairly nicely laid out and loaded with features and seemed pretty solid. However so much medium gray plastic was boring. And there is something awkward about the exterior design the way the C pillar meets the truck. It had the 3.5L which was perfect for the car's weight.

Last edited by rubicontrail.net; 10-31-2007 at 04:50 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
That's good to hear, at least it should stick around until the 2010 model year. Plus that'll give the aftermarket folks more incentive to develop things for both the XK & WK sicne they share the same drive train.

I know that there's at least one company making lockers for the 8.25" corporate axle, which would be nice to have since I have QTII and don't want to have to trade into a Limited or Overland for the QDII system, nice as that would be.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Points: 5,266, Level: 46 Points: 5,266, Level: 46 Points: 5,266, Level: 46
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

Yeah, I mentioned when I joined that the dealer told me they were not going to cut the Commander. I just purchased an 08 Overland, when I asked about the Sirius TV, he said mine didn't come with it, because they were thinking about axing the Commander, he said they did change their mind, and the March 08's should come with the Sirius TV. FYI, he said if you have the VES, you can upgrade for about $200 and get the equipment for it.

Ryan
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:15 AM

Update: For the PT Cruiser, it was only the convertible version that was canceled.

In addition, it appears Jefferson North will continue to be the production point for the next-generation full-size Jeep SUV(s). Directly from the Chrysler Media web site: It's expected that the plant will return to two shifts in first quarter 2010 with the introduction of the next generation of sport-utility vehicles.

Here is the FULL posting from Jason Vines:

Quote:
Chrysler today issued the following news release:
Chrysler Announces New Plans to Balance Supply and Demand
• Chrysler Announces Product and Plant Changes
• Industry-wide volume reduction and sales slow down requires plant adjustments
• Four products will be cancelled from Chrysler line-up; while adding two all-new products and two hybrid models
Chrysler LLC today announced that it would make volume-related reductions at several of its North American assembly and powertrain plants, and eliminate four products from its line-up.
Shifts will be eliminated at five North American assembly plants which, combined with other volume-related manufacturing actions, will lead to a reduction of 8,500-10,000 additional hourly jobs through 2008.
Additional actions include reductions of salaried employment by 1,000 and supplemental (contract) employment by 37 percent. The Company also plans to eliminate hourly and salaried overtime and reduce purchased services due to reduction in volume.
The volume-related actions are in addition to 13,000 jobs eliminated by the three-year Recovery and Transformation Plan (RTP) announced in February. The objectives of the RTP remain the same.
"The market situation has changed dramatically in the eight months since Chrysler established the Recovery and Transformation Plan as its blueprint," said Bob Nardelli, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "Annual industry volume (U.S. market) then was running at a 17.2 million clip. Now, we expect a seasonally adjusted annual volume for 2007 to be significantly lower and carry over into 2008."
"We have to move now to adjust the way our company looks and acts to reflect a smaller market," added Tom LaSorda, Vice Chairman and President. "That means a cost base that is right-sized and an appropriate level of plant utilization."
LaSorda added that third-shift operations at assembly plants usually reflect a high demand after a product is launched. Three of the five plants affected by this action are the result of elimination of third shifts" in Belvidere, Illinois; Toledo, Ohio, and Brampton, Ontario.

In contract negotiations just concluded with the United Auto Workers, Chrysler committed to spending more than $15 billion on products, plants and engineering during the life of the contract through 2011.
The company announced that it will eliminate four models through 2008, including Dodge Magnum, the convertible version (only) of Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chrysler Pacifica and Chrysler Crossfire. In the same time frame, Chrysler will add two all-new products to its portfolio: the Dodge Journey and Dodge Challenger, along with two new hybrid models, the Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango.
"These actions reflect our new customer-driven philosophy and allow us to focus our resources on new, more profitable and appealing products," added Jim Press, Vice Chairman and President. "Further, these product actions are all in response to dealer requests."
Manufacturing Actions
Chrysler will eliminate shifts at five assembly plants, and take further volume-related actions at several other facilities. It will:
Drop third-shift operations at Belvidere (Ill.) Assembly Plant in the first quarter 2008. Belvidere builds the Dodge Caliber, Jeep Patriot and Jeep Compass.
Drop second-shift operations at its Jefferson North (Detroit, Mich.) Assembly Plant in the first quarter 2008. It's expected that the plant will return to two shifts in first quarter 2010 with the introduction of the next generation of sport-utility vehicles. The addition of a third shift will remain an option, depending on market demand. Jefferson North builds the Jeep® Grand Cherokee and Jeep Commander.
Drop third-shift operations at the Toledo (Ohio) North Assembly Plant in the first quarter 2008. Toledo North builds the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Nitro.
Drop third-shift operations at Brampton (Ontario) Assembly Plant in first quarter 2008. Brampton will build the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger. The Dodge Magnum will be discontinued.
Drop second shift operations at Sterling Heights (Mich.) Assembly Plant in first quarter 2008. Sterling Heights builds the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler Sebring sedans and Chrysler Sebring Convertible.
In addition, Mack Avenue (Detroit) Engine Plant II will return to a traditional two-shift / two-crew operation in the first quarter 2008 after operating on a three-crew, two-shift, 120-hour-per-week (3/2/120) schedule. Mack II builds the 3.7-liter V-6 engine.

"I'm confident that we have the right team in place and a business plan that doesn't need to be re-written," concluded Nardelli. "Like all good plans, the RTP has built-in flexibility that allows us to stay one step ahead of market change. And that is the way to long-term sustained profitability."
For more information, go to the Chrysler media site at http://media.chrysler.com.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42 Points: 4,353, Level: 42

Good catch. That is starting to confirm what we have been thinking all along.
GC & Commander may now only be made through 09 model year not 2010 like we thought if they are saying the next gen SUV will lead to a possible 2nd shift 1st quarter 2010. That may mean that we will see pre-poduction models and test mules floating around starting a year from now of a 2010 Jeep. Since they are closing the Durango plant in 09 this almost has to confirm that the 2010 model will be a Jeep and Dodge and maybe a Chrysler version. Hopefully at that time we will get a larger true 7 passenger SUV and I am crossing my fingers that it will retain more of a Commander styling than a GC styling. I like the Commander name but I could live with GC if that is what they choose to call it. I do want it boxy!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkjon
Good catch. That is starting to confirm what we have been thinking all along.
GC & Commander may now only be made through 09 model year not 2010 like we thought if they are saying the next gen SUV will lead to a possible 2nd shift 1st quarter 2010. That may mean that we will see pre-poduction models and test mules floating around starting a year from now of a 2010 Jeep. Since they are closing the Durango plant in 09 this almost has to confirm that the 2010 model will be a Jeep and Dodge and maybe a Chrysler version. Hopefully at that time we will get a larger true 7 passenger SUV and I am crossing my fingers that it will retain more of a Commander styling than a GC styling. I like the Commander name but I could live with GC if that is what they choose to call it. I do want it boxy!
I wouldn't be surprised to see it carry a new name altogether.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Points: 3,493, Level: 36 Points: 3,493, Level: 36 Points: 3,493, Level: 36
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

If its as much larger as is expected, the longer version replacing the commander might get the wagoner name this time. Like the old days when we had the Grand wagoners and the Grand Cherokees. I think that would hold pretty true with the Jeep heritage.

Here is a quote I found on the Cut models today.
Quote:
CHRYSLER TO TELL DEALERS THIS WEEK OF PLANS TO CUT VEHICLES: Chrysler LLC will tell its dealers this week that it will dump four models from its vehicle lineup in an effort to quickly slash costs while bolstering the image of its brands. The auto maker is dropping the Chrysler Crossfire, Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible, Chrysler Pacifica and Dodge Magnum, according to a person who asked not to be identified because the plan hasn't been made public.
The Wall Street Journal, October 31, 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in