Should I buy? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Points: 651, Level: 13 Points: 651, Level: 13 Points: 651, Level: 13
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Should I buy?

My wife and I are expecting a second child and double strollers just Don't. Freaking. Fit. in anything smaller than an SUV. So we're on the market for a used SUV.

We have located a loaded 2006 Commander(Nav, DVD, second row skylights, moonroof, Etc). It has about 20K on the odo. The exterior is in fair condition(light scratches, a single ding), and the interior is fine. The price is right at less than $24K.

My question is this: would you buy this vehicle? It's got 15K or less on the warranty which concerns me, but a used Honda Pilot has a similar warranty.

So let me know...would you be interested in this vehicle, knowing what you know about your commander's reliability?

Regards,

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

The only downside to the Commander and smallish children is the difficulty for them to get into the back seat. The lower part of the door is pretty small so my 4 year old has some trouble getting in. He does, but it is a struggle. Running boards may help that.

I feel your pain, when we got the old double stroller it wouldn't fit in the Taurus. We got a Chrysler Town and Country at that time. Honestly, Minivans are far more family friendly. I just am not personally going to drive one. I just can't make myself do it. There's no reason other than the whole minivan stigma though, ours drove great, got decent gas mileage, hauled a ton of stuff, rode nice, and hauled 7 adults with room to spare, and had excellent traction control for the winter. But, you're never going to go offroad in a Minivan. I only say this to let you know that there are other options, it doesn't have to be an SUV.

Me, I'd get the Commander and running boards (my wife won't let me buy them) over the Minivan. But I did need to point out the practicality of them. However, 24k for a very used, and neglected Commander seems high. You'd get about 17-18k on a tradein on that same Commander.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76 Points: 13,804, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

What makes the Commander is question "very used and neglected"?

RIP - Silver '06 Limited; 5.7 Hemi; 2" TerraFlex Lift; 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS, Horizontal Inclinometer, Signal Frog Antenna Ball, Surco Safari 50"x50" Roof Rack, GetLost4x4 bumper, Bulldog 9k Winch, GetLost4x4 Rock Rails - (should have added a snorkel)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Points: 651, Level: 13 Points: 651, Level: 13 Points: 651, Level: 13
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

I don't know that it's "very used" or "neglected". It seems like wear and tear, mostly. Hell, if all that's wrong with it are some light scratching and a ding or two, that would be considered good around here.

The wife won't drive a minivan, that's the only reason we're not looking at them.

$24K for a fully loaded Commander seems like a good price, despite the fact that the trade is far below that number. Cars just don't keep their value for ****e these days...unless it's a Honda. I'm $8K upside-down on my Jetta.

Last time we looked at a Commander that was similarly optioned and used, the ask on it was $32K. This was about 6-8 months ago.

My main concerns are with reliability. I see lots of random complaints about total electrical failures and dying on the road and ABS/Stability control failures and that has me alarmed a bit. Not only the cost factor, but it will be my wife's primary vehicle.

Thanks for your feedback everybody.

Sam
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 05:29 PM

He said not much warranty left. That makes it very used. He said the paint was in "fair" condition. Fair is the lowest rating on vehicles. That makes it neglected. Maybe he underclassified it when he said fair, I don't know, can only go by what he said.

I've had what I would consider no problems with my Commander. My rear park sensors didn't work for a bit, but they did after I cleaned them. My airbag light comes on occasionally, but that is because I put an aftermarket stereo in and the CAN Bus on these newer vehicles have everything, including the radio, running through them. New cars simply don't adapt well to change. If I went back to the stock stereo I would not have that issue.

Last edited by RedCommander; 10-31-2007 at 05:31 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

You didnt mention the engine. If its the 6 cycl. I wouldnt buy it, if its the Hemi I'd grab it. If its the inbetween I'd ask myself if I planned on towing anything heavy. I have the 2007 Hemi Overland and have NEVER had one single problem with it. I think its the finest vehicle I have ever driven on the road and I feel very safe in it. john
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Points: 19,553, Level: 88 Points: 19,553, Level: 88 Points: 19,553, Level: 88
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

GAWD,

I would probably runaway, I love my COMMANDER but it has been a complete headache with things going wrong. If you intrested in the commander you might want to look at the 07's, being on this forum for some time it appears that the 2nd generation COMMANDERS do not have nearly the issues as the later.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

The only down side is the gas that it eats. I have three kids and they love the jeep. The back seats are good for up to 14'ish. So, if you don't mind the gas then get it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:19 PM

I disagree with Ranger about 06's having problems. Mine is an early build 06 and has been fine.

I can't speak to the water leak problems since I don't have a sunroof and all the leaking problems seem to be related to that.

Anyway, troublefree 06 here.

What engine are you looking at Gawd? Also 2wd or 4wd? If you're really down to this and the Honda Pilot, I like the Commander much much better than the Pilot I test drove. Now the Ridgeline, different story. Although the seats themselves are more Comfortable in the Commander than the Ridgeline, but the Ridgeline is built well, same MPG or better, has more 2nd row legroom, and is very versatile, especially with the trunk in the bed.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are getting it for storage capacity, and you plan on using the 3rd row seats, you can't have both. With the rear seats up, you have basically no interior storage. To combat that when on road trips with the family we only fold up one side of the 3rd row so luggage can go on the other side. Just something to know.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Points: 8,742, Level: 62 Points: 8,742, Level: 62 Points: 8,742, Level: 62
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

haven't had a single problem with our '06. bought it new in march '06 and now has 22,000 on it. we have the 3.7. if you're not towing anything then there is nothing wrong with the 3.7. we get 16 mpg in town and 22 hwy with the QT1. the thing goes like a tank in the snow too.
as for the price, vehicles just aren't selling right now. i would say closer to $20k would be more in line. i just bought an '07 ram 1500 4x4 quad cab that stickered at $35,060 for $24,138 brand new, with a lifetime warranty. i would tell them to come down on their price but to be sure check kelly blue book (www.kbb.com). see what they say is a fair price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in