Question about 4wd - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Red face Question about 4wd

Hi everyone. I'll try and make this as short as possible.

I live in Ohio and travel daily through the snowbelt to work. Back in November I needed a new vehicle and wanted something with 4WD and ended up getting a 2007 Jeep Commander. It got me through some of the worst snowstorms I've seen and surpassed my expectations.

I'm not 100% sure what model I have but if I had to guess, I would say it's the absolute base model, (doesn't even have factory fog lights.) It has a 3.7L v6 engine with automatic 4WD and 17" offroading tires. The dealer told me it would be perfect for winter driving, and after a test drive I was sold.

Now that the warmer weather has started to come back I've gotten an urge to go offroading. Someone I work with told me that the model commander I have can't go offroading but I should check the manual just to be sure. I looked at the manual and sure enough it says that the vehicle shouldn't be driven in conditions that require 4WD low range.

The place that most of my co-workers go offroading has different levels of trails and I was told that I could probably run most of the stock trails with my jeep, but after looking at a few videos online, it seems that 4-Lo may be required on some of the trails and I was wondering if I would still be ok to run the stock trails or if I should just scrap the whole idea entirely?

Now I should end this with a few afterthoughts. First being: most of the stock trails, from what I've seen on youtube videos, people can drive through the slightly deeper than normal mud puddles or go around them. I would have some offroading experience, but not what I want.

Second: My wife has agreed to trade her car in, we needed to anyway so it's not like she's being pressured, for a jeep wrangler. The idea is to give her the commander and I take the wrangler. Speaking of which, I'm out the door soon to go test drive some more, any input on this would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to royally **** my jeep and the 4WD.

thanks.
madmax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Look at thee left front fender and see if there is a trail rated emblem there if not your question is answered.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:05 AM
Points: 843, Level: 15 Points: 843, Level: 15 Points: 843, Level: 15
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

If you are still stock I'd stick to very basic trails. If you mod then you can go up. I have fulltime 4x4 also and a buddy does too. He has a lift and larger tires and he hits some fairly difficult trails. Not like a wrangler but still fun.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

And that's what confuses me. My jeep doesn't have the trail rated badge but a few other Commanders' that I've seen didn't have them either and were going on trails with no lift kit or offroading tires.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 05:18 AM
Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

The trail rated badge doesn't mean squat. My Jeep doesn't have one but it's been off road a time or two. Madmax, does your Jeep have low range?

2006 5.7 Limited on 40" tires
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby View Post
The trail rated badge doesn't mean squat. My Jeep doesn't have one but it's been off road a time or two. Madmax, does your Jeep have low range?
no mine does not have low range.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8 Points: 435, Level: 8
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

You can still take it off road but you need to be more aware of the types of trails you'll be on. I just sold my AWD Astro van that didn't have a low range tcase but that didn't stop me from taking it out. I even winched it up a small waterfall in Death Valley last year. :-)

2006 5.7 Limited on 40" tires
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Lift, aggressive tires and a rear powertrax no slip and it will be more than you need off road

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

Off-roading is a matter of attitude, I had my Lincoln Towncar on a trail that should only been done by a 4x4 and got thru it by negotiating around the rocks and dips.

The best place to find out if your vehicle is good for off-roading is to go with other 4x4ers that can help you (wench you out) if you get stuck. As long as you can get to the general rally point then you can test your expertise around the area.

I took a look at the Jeep Wrangler recently at the dealership. The ones I saw looked very worthy of taking to the trails, lifted and built in roll bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Tags
4-lo range , 4wd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in