Lease up, need help deciding (poll) - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

View Poll Results: I suggest:
You buy out the V6 lease at 17K 5 14.71%
Try to negotiate for a larger/newer XK model 21 61.76%
Go for the Wrangler 4 11.76%
Go for the Sahara 4 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lease up, need help deciding (poll)

My lease is up about 10 months from now and I am having some trouble making a decision on what to do. I have a purchase option of 17K on a V6. So far, I am ok with engine power, I think it is enough, plus very impressed with the QT1 capabilities.

We use this vehicle as a weekend/pleasure vehicle mostly for road trips and it is important that it will take me there no matter if it is raining, snowing, etc. Might see some light off-road activity, such as beach, etc., but no trails at all.

I like the commander, but I also like the Wranger / Sahara 4dr. Budget is tight, so it would be soft cover, etc. I have been a member here for a long time and I understand you might be biased towards the commander, but I would appreciate your input on my decision. We are a small family of 3 (5 yr girl that loves Jeeps). So a 7 passanger car is not a must.

Oh and by the way, I have no idea what the difference between the Wrangler and Sahara is. The Sahara green color looks really hot.

Last edited by Dabitz; 11-05-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

17K is too much now, let alone in a year.

Stop leasing, that's my advice.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Points: 5,363, Level: 47 Points: 5,363, Level: 47 Points: 5,363, Level: 47
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

yeah definitely go for the unlimited. I bought my commander 5 months ago and I am already seeing Commanders with more options for 5k less!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Sahara is just a trim level of the Wrangler. Just like the Commander has base/Sport and Limited models, the Wrangler has X, Sahara, and Rubicon.

The main visual difference for the Sahara is it has body-color matched "flenders" (fender flares). It is also the only trim level available with 18" rims. On 2008 models the Sahara also has a silver-accented bumper. This really only looks good on the silver colored ones so it isn't really a good selling point. You could always swap the bumpers out for AEV or Fab Four ones though.

The Rubicon has much better (agressive) tires and comes fully locked and with a standard electronic sway bar disconnect.

I would advise against getting the 4-door in a soft top. The soft top is made of sail cloth and catches on the wind. Unless you have the AC on high, it is going to flop back and forth and make a lot of noise. When I took my friend to buy her JK we test drove both soft top and hard top models. The soft top makes much more noise. Granted any JK is not nearly as insulated as the XK and is going to be noisier.

Also note, the 3.8L is big enough for the 2-door JK but feels underpowered for the 4-door. It is fine when it gets up to speed but seems to be strained when accelerating from a stop. Fuel economy is better than the Commander though... when I have driven the 4-door I could get about 20 - 22mpg highway.

There are two greens available in the Wrangler... Rescue Green (which is the bright vivid chartreuse color used on the Rescue concept vehicle) and Jeep Green (which is a darker slightly-olive-tinted green that can also be found on the newer Commanders).

Note that if you go with the Wrangler you should definitely get the foglights. The main headlights are dim and the fog light beams alone appear to provide more illumination than the high beams.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks... Sounds like the Wrangler is better than the Sahara. I'm a bit concerned about noise and ride on a long trip (like NJ/FL, etc.)... and yes, I agree with leasing... keeping miles under limit is a real pain. Also, I would rather have a V6 XK than an underpowered Wrangler... Man this decision is tough...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Points: 4,209, Level: 41 Points: 4,209, Level: 41 Points: 4,209, Level: 41
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

If you're using the vehicle primarily for road trips I'd stay with a Commander...much better on the road than a Wrangler..I tossed that idea around when I purchased mine. As much as I liked the Wrangler, the Commander is more practical and will take you almost anywhere that the Wrangler will.....just my two cents
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz
Thanks... Sounds like the Wrangler is better than the Sahara. I'm a bit concerned about noise and ride on a long trip (like NJ/FL, etc.)... and yes, I agree with leasing... keeping miles under limit is a real pain. Also, I would rather have a V6 XK than an underpowered Wrangler... Man this decision is tough...
Like I said before... Sahara is just a trim level of the Wrangler. So the statement "Sounds like the Wrangler is better than the Sahara" is kind of contradictory.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

To me, its a tough choice between opting for a newer Commander (sorry, I just couldnt vote for a 6 cyl. in that heavy a vehicle) or a 4 door Wrangler Unlimited. I own a TJ AND a Commander. Its true my 2001 short wheelbase TJ cant compare on the road to a Commander, however the new UNLIMITED Wrangler is a long wheelbase, I believe longer then even the Commander and believe it or not I believe it has MORE cubic storage space besides. However, to me the bargain is the Rubicon model with 4:1 reduction and other upgrades. The catch is I dont think you will get much of a discount if any on the Wrangler. As far as ride, I havent ridden in one myself but I understand it is far more carlike then say my TJ. I suggest you test drive one before you make up your mind. john
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

Is turning the Commander in and getting another one or a Grand Cherokee an option?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it is an option... I am not really a huge fan of the Cherokee though... There are too many out there, like the liberty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in