Twisted - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Exclamation Twisted

Some twisted engineer who decided to put the O2 sensors or at least the connectors in the most difficult place to get to ought to he slapped. I was getting the O2 sensor codes which progressed to Cat inefficiency codes. Replaced the 4 O2 sensors yesterday, that's an all day job to drop the "Y" pipe and reinstall by the way. And if you try to tell me it can be done in the car I'd like to see you do it. I've been shade a tree mechanic for 40 years and never seen anything like that. I was wondering since the O2 codes have gone away, but still have the Cat codes if over time with the right air/fuel mixture if the cays will clean themselves? I can=t see replacing the whole "Y" for those two little Cats. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35 Points: 3,276, Level: 35
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 179000
my commander was throwing o2 codes when I bought it. They told me it was bad o2 sensors and an exhaust leak. I took it to my mechanic he changed out a coil pack and fixed a wheel bearing. Not saying this is your case but those codes can be misleading.

Mine:2008 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD...OME HD lift, JBA control arms, AEV Onyx Salta w/ 265/70/17 General Grabbers.
Hers:2007 3.7 Commander Graystone
2.25"RR lift, monroe 171377 struts, monroe 58646 shocks, JBA 6.7 control arms, Moto Metal MO970 w/ 265/70/17 Hercules Terra Trac ATII
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:19 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman Jim View Post
Some twisted engineer who decided to put the O2 sensors or at least the connectors in the most difficult place to get to ought to he slapped. I was getting the O2 sensor codes which progressed to Cat inefficiency codes. Replaced the 4 O2 sensors yesterday, that's an all day job to drop the "Y" pipe and reinstall by the way. And if you try to tell me it can be done in the car I'd like to see you do it. I've been shade a tree mechanic for 40 years and never seen anything like that. I was wondering since the O2 codes have gone away, but still have the Cat codes if over time with the right air/fuel mixture if the cays will clean themselves? I can=t see replacing the whole "Y" for those two little Cats. Any thoughts?
Ummm I replaced all 4 of my o2 sensors on my 4.7 liter Commander without having to pull the Y pipe. It took about 20-25 minutes to replace all 4 (not using a lift, laying on garage floor under the jeep). I even had mud caked in the connectors which made it more difficult

BTW I hope you used o2 sensor from the dealer and not a local auto parts store. Ask me how I know this lol

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
Ummm I replaced all 4 of my o2 sensors on my 4.7 liter Commander without having to pull the Y pipe. It took about 20-25 minutes to replace all 4 (not using a lift, laying on garage floor under the jeep). I even had mud caked in the connectors which made it more difficult

BTW I hope you used o2 sensor from the dealer and not a local auto parts store. Ask me how I know this lol
Same. Did all 4 in the driveway, about a half hour. Anything less than Mopar will throw codes and hesitate, attempt to stallw when pulling out after startup. Also found out the hard way. Mine were bosch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Haha yep. I tried going cheap and replacing all 4 with Bosch. Found out the hard way they don't work on our jeeps even though they're listed as "direct replacement" o2 sensors. Made the jeep run like hell, misfires on multiple cylinders etc. If you look at them you will see the Bosch wiring is color coded differently.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in