Perform Service message - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Perform Service message

You guys must have covered this before, but...
1) How do you reset the "perform Service" EVIC message. Owners manual sez hold reset button three seconds - but that is not doing anything on my 2006 Commander Limited Hemi. Hmmm... Need hold
2) I intend to perform my own oil changes (don't really trust my dealer - want to do it myself anyway). this is the 9000 mile service - Dealer has done 3K and 6K changes. Question is: When I log the change in the service log, it's the same (warranty wise) as if a dealer did it. Right?
3) Yes, I'm a newbie - not only to this forum, but this is my (OK my wife's) first brand new vehicle. We did buy the 7/70 warranty extension - but I'm not trusting of the dealer's techs (after a couple events this year).

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Points: 5,359, Level: 47 Points: 5,359, Level: 47 Points: 5,359, Level: 47
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

You need to get to the message that says "xxxx MILES TO SERVICE" by pressing "STEP" repeatedly and when that screen shows, that'w when you press reset for 3 seconds.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comma
2) I intend to perform my own oil changes (don't really trust my dealer - want to do it myself anyway). this is the 9000 mile service - Dealer has done 3K and 6K changes. Question is: When I log the change in the service log, it's the same (warranty wise) as if a dealer did it. Right?
Just keep the receipts for the oil and filter too.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Points: 2,230, Level: 28 Points: 2,230, Level: 28 Points: 2,230, Level: 28
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Remember, you can also change the frequency at which the service message comes on. I'm a 4k service guy, so that is how I set mine.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Mentality
Remember, you can also change the frequency at which the service message comes on. I'm a 4k service guy, so that is how I set mine.
Same here. Since my Commander isn't driven everyday it doesn't rack up the miles very quickly. I am doing 4,000 miles / 6 month cycle (whichever comes first).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

Got it. I did figure out the "Perform Service" message when I first fired up the jeep this morning. Right - go the "miles to service" EVIC screen, and reset it. 3K is the default. Wife is concerned that I'm voiding the warranty by doing self oil changes. No problem now, will save receipts, and enter into the maintenance log book. Feels good; blowing off the dealer - don't trust them anyway. Thanks guys. Now I want to find a string that has your experiences with Fortera tire wear. My fronts are cupping slightly (sharp edges), even after my dealer did a rotation and alignment about 1500 miles ago. Yes, they charged me 70 bones for alignment, even though the condition had to be pre-existing from the factory. And still not fixed. Front tires still wearing evenly. Who's got custom camber/toe specs?

Thanks for all your help so far.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

I had minor cupping at 30k miles, but I had not rotated the tires for 9k miles. The tires seem to wear pretty well for me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Points: 1,273, Level: 19 Points: 1,273, Level: 19 Points: 1,273, Level: 19
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comma
Got it. I did figure out the "Perform Service" message when I first fired up the jeep this morning. Right - go the "miles to service" EVIC screen, and reset it. 3K is the default. Wife is concerned that I'm voiding the warranty by doing self oil changes. No problem now, will save receipts, and enter into the maintenance log book. Feels good; blowing off the dealer - don't trust them anyway. Thanks guys. Now I want to find a string that has your experiences with Fortera tire wear. My fronts are cupping slightly (sharp edges), even after my dealer did a rotation and alignment about 1500 miles ago. Yes, they charged me 70 bones for alignment, even though the condition had to be pre-existing from the factory. And still not fixed. Front tires still wearing evenly. Who's got custom camber/toe specs?

Thanks for all your help so far.
Comma, If you still have the paperwork for your alignment, look at it and see what it says for pre-alignment position and post-alignment position. (This happened to me) If they are the same, then they didn't do anything, just a check, and if they charged you 70$, you can probably get a refund. You have to check this kind of thing before you pay for it though from now on. Also, the Fortera's are pretty decent tires, you shouldn't have "alot" of wear on them, but as long as you are getting a rotation every 10K or so, it shouldn't be a problem. Not sure of the mileage rating on them, but I would assume it's around 50k. Also, save your money now for new tires, I had the same tires on my Ram and it wasn't cheap to get them all replaced when the time came!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in