07 Commander runs rough - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mongo
  • 1 Post By ParamountPen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 623, Level: 12 Points: 623, Level: 12 Points: 623, Level: 12
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

07 Commander runs rough

My 07 Commander runs rough above 80 degree outside temperature. below 70 degrees it seems to be ok. Went to Auto Zone and the test from an OBD II gave 5 codes. #'s 1-4 was P0201, P0202, P02054, P0205. #5 was P0300.
Can anyone please shed any light on these?
Thank you in advance.
Fred Borden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

You don't have to go to Autozone, you just have to do the key on/off 3 times and then leave it at run, the codes are displayed in the EVIC panel at the bottom of the Tach. People refer to it as the "Key Dance", you can find youtube videos showing you how to do it.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

P0201 (M)

Injector # 1 Control Circuit

An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit for Injector # 1 or the INJ 1 injector bank.

P0202 (M)

Injector # 2 Control Circuit

An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit for Injector # 2 or the INJ 2 injector bank.

P0204 (M)

Injector # 4 Control Circuit

Injector # 4 or INJ 4 injector bank output driver stage does not respond properly to the control signal.

P0205 (M)

Injector # 5 Control Circuit

Injector # 5 output driver stage does not respond properly to the control signal.

P0300 (M)

Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Misfire detected in multiple Cylinders.

Other vehicles I've owned, I had the wire bundle to the injectors chaff against the side of the engine and chaff through the wire insulation and cause a short. But that short to the injectors was associated with engine motion, i.e. it would run fine until I revved the engine or did something to make the engine torque in its mounts and suddenly I would have rough running and mis-fires.

Your's is associated with temperature, makes me guess you have dirty injectors, a can of injector cleaner in the gas tank can't hurt, add it before adding some gas to the tank, to mix the cleaner in the gas. The Chevron Injector Cleaner or Lucas Injector Cleaner seems to work the best, a lot of the cheaper other brands don't seem to do anything.

Although dirty injectors can cause some of those codes and the mis-fires, I don't see how they can cause the open/short circuit codes. Perhaps if the injector was dirty enough, and it sticks, that might be seen as a open circuit to the PCM, but it is possible you have injectors going bad or something wrong with the wiring going to the injectors.

Eitherway, IMHO, the place to start is with adding good injector cleaner to your gas tank and see if that helps, oh, BTW, buy like 3 bottles of it, keep the extra in the car and add it 3 tanks of gas in a row. Just one bottle of cleaner could just soften the gunk in the injectors and NOT get it all out, then it will harden again worse after you stop using the injector cleaner.
chaotic likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 06-18-2014 at 07:47 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
I agree with what Mongo said. Also how many miles are on your XK and what maintenance have you done. plugs air filter etc.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:05 AM

Creek also brings up good points, eroded spark plugs (overdue for change) will cause misfires. So will failing to inject fuel or too little/much fuel as well, so if you're overdue for new spark plugs, change them and see if that helps, at least to eliminate it as a possible cause of the misfires.

An extremely dirty (clogged) air filter can wreak havoc with the control of the fuel injection system, maybe it could cause those codes for the injectors, I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to look at the air filter and replace it if it is dirty, at least it will elminate it as a possible cause.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you Mongo and Creek,
It has about 80,000 miles on it and the spark plugs were changed about the end of last summer maybe 8000 miles ago and I changed the air filter last week.
What is strange is in cooler weather less than 70 degrees f it runs just fine greater than 70 toward 80 degrees it starts doing this and when it does it smells gassy. Also theres a popping noise coming from the intake area that sounds like there is liquid building up and choking it or random backfire. Could there be by chance a charcoal canister or filter that is saturated?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 03:31 PM

I have an old Jeep Cherokee that with an AMC 2.5L motor, the intake and exhaust are on the same side of the head, with the same bolts for both intake and exhaust, the bolts came loose and the intake literally tipped away and was open and sucking air between the intake and head ports. It did things like you were describing. BUT, the Commander has a totally different engine design, I highly, highly doubt you have an intake loosened up and have a gap letting air suck in.

But, check for vacuum leaks.

But judging from the codes you have, you very well could have a one or more bad injectors and more likely you have some sort of damage to a wire bundle that has a short for the injectors or intermittent open ground.

My '99 Neon had a chaffed wire harness that shorted out the circuits for one of the injectors and it did the popping, backfires, loss of power, rough running, like you describe. But it didn't change with temp, it changed with engine motion, do something to make the engine rock or torque and it would tug on the wire harness and make the short worse. So perhaps the temp is doing something to the wire harness?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mongo,
Been running the injector cleaner in it and it seems to be getting better.
Quote:
IMHO, the place to start is with adding good injector cleaner to your gas tank and see if that helps, oh, BTW, buy like 3 bottles of it, keep the extra in the car and add it 3 tanks of gas in a row. Just one bottle of cleaner could just soften the gunk in the injectors and NOT get it all out, then it will harden again worse after you stop using the injector cleaner.
From your first post. Thanks.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:48 PM

Keep your fingers crossed, I am hopeful that is your problem.

Without a doubt, really dirty injectors could cause misfires.

It reasonable that dirty injectors might be worse or better depending on the temperature.

Its possible, really, really dirty injectors can cause the injector to draw way to much current or jam closed and produce a 100 times more inductive resistance, and trip codes for open/shorted injectors.

So again, keep your fingers crossed, maybe running a couple of tanks worth of injector cleaner will fix the problem. Remember, the Chevron and/or lucas seems to work, I don't put much stock in the other injector cleaners, but haven't tried them all or seen any independent research as too which is best and which is snake oil.

There are injector cleaning services, I guess you have to call around to different shops, but some have machines that will clean the injectors. Either pump a solvent through the fuel injection system or remove the inector and put them in an ultrasonic bath and apply the right current to them to open them up fully in the bath to clean them.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ok. This is a very old post and years later and a new engine and the same thing. But by chance I found the problem. A $27.00 ECT sensor!
Stircrayzy likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Points: 2,320, Level: 29 Points: 2,320, Level: 29 Points: 2,320, Level: 29
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 123000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParamountPen View Post
Ok. This is a very old post and years later and a new engine and the same thing. But by chance I found the problem. A $27.00 ECT sensor!
Great follow up !
Ive had the temp sensor in my old s10 g.j o bad and it ran like crap until the engine warmed up. They can play tricks on the fuel system.
I guess i assumed newer cars OBD systems would puckup a faild sensor though, instead of the side effect codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in