What else could be draining my battery, no lights no chargers etc plugged in, only have had the car 2 weeks. Auto zone says battery and alternator are "good".. Beginning to wonder. Any suggestions?? 2008 3.7 model. We just bought it for our daughter, and hope it isn't anything major.. Thanks Becky
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
This is totally unrelated to the existing thread, people won't see it as well as if you start a new thread, so post your question as new post, probably the general repair section would be best.
How do you know the battery is draining? Does the car fail to start/battery go dead, after sitting with the key out of it for a while?
1.) Bad Batteries will pass the test your local auto store will use. So, NO it does NOT mean you battery is definitely bad, I just would NOT rule out your battery is the probably because Autozone said it tested good.
2.) Is there any aftermarket radios/amps or other equipment installed? They could be a drain, or someone installing those aftermarket items screwed up the wiring and there is a short.
3.) Measure the current draw with the vehicle off. Use a multi-meter in series with the postive terminal of the battery, with the vehicle off and key out, lights out, just like it sits, the current draw should be 50-60 milliamps at most, more than 110 milliamps, and you likely have a problem. (The 50-60 milliamps is NOT an actual Jeep Commander spec, its general guidance for most vehicles) I think I measured my current draw at less than 20 milliamps on my 2010 Jeep Commander (3.7L).
Finally, if the problem is the battery is going dead after the vehicle sits overnight, and you don't have a multi-meter, etc. One thing to try, after parking the vehicle for the night, raise the hood and pull the IOD fuses (look in the owners manual). That will cut power to all the stuff that draws current in the cabin when the ignition is off. Of course you'll lose you settings on your radio.
BUT, if the battery is good after sitting with the IOD fuses out, then likely you do have a problem with too much current being drawn by devices when the key is off.
If the battery is still dead after pulling the IOD fuses, then likely you have a bad battery or a short under the hoed drawing too much current.