water dripping behind glove box - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

water dripping behind glove box

my wife's commander is leaking behind the glove box that is pooling in the passenger floor boards. the liquid appears to be water and she says she hears it sloshing around behind the glove box while she's driving. i've been told that there is a reservoir of some sort that has drain holes that are likely clogged that backs the water up into the vent system.

can anyone tell me how to access the area to look for clogged drain holds to allow the water to run out?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Do you have a sun roof?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
Are you seeing water drain from the AC just under the front door? If not your AC drain may be clogged. Do a search this problem has been discussed. I have never had an issue with my 06XK.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
If you've been running the air conditioning and do not have any water leaking underneath, onto the ground, then your condensate pan is plugged. This is where the a/c coil is housed. It sweats and drips into the pan. The pan has a drain tube that terminates above the transmission that is nearly impossible to access. Some here have had success clearing this drain, while others have failed and ended up ruining their air conditioning systems....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I just took my Dash and AC apart to replace the evaporator, and I can confirm what they are saying.

I have seen posts about sunroof drains, and they clogging/leaking and it comes out behind interior panels by the footwells or behind the dash. Even windshield leaks that do the same, so its worth checking to eleminate that as a cause.

But, sloshing water sounds behind the glove box sounds like a clogged AC evaporator drain to me.

The heat/AC is in a box under the dash, just over the transmission hump in the floor. There plastic box actually has a tube formed in it and it fits over a hole in the floor with a seal, so no real tube attached to the box, the box itself has the tube formed in it at the bottom and just extends out past the floor of the vehicle.

The evaporator, heater core and air blend doors are all contained in the box over the transmission hump, but the blower motor and fan is on the extreme passenger side with a retangular box inbetween them to connect them and carry the air from the blower motor. So if water builds up in the evaporator/heater core section, it would slosh back and forth in the rectangular box connecting to the blower motor/fan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhobll View Post
If you've been running the air conditioning and do not have any water leaking underneath, onto the ground, then your condensate pan is plugged....
Oh, and another point, if you have the rear AC unit, that will have lines running the length of the vehicle on the passenger side with another AC/Heat box in the rear passenger side of the vehicle.

The lines have a plastic box shield over them, and they will create condensation that collects as water in the plastic box shield, when you stop, you'll see water draining out of the plastic box shield over the lines, about midway on the passenger side, as well as water draining from the rear AC as well.

So keep that in mind, if you have the rear AC, you might still have a clogged drain in the front evaporator that is building up water in the AC/Heat box, but you will still see water draining from the middle and rear of the vehicle for the rear system.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46 Points: 5,263, Level: 46
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

what do i need to remove from the dash to access the condensate pan over the transmission hump?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Points: 2,428, Level: 29 Points: 2,428, Level: 29 Points: 2,428, Level: 29

4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 150000
mongo doing the core, this weekend. what do i need to to remove, any thing hidden
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 AM
Points: 1,783, Level: 24 Points: 1,783, Level: 24 Points: 1,783, Level: 24
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%

2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
ive got this same problem and i did the hole drilled i the side and connected a clear hose to drain the water if the drain hole gets blocked again. there is a penny in there that i moved when i did this fix.

unfortunately, the drain hole has clogged again causing the water to come out the makeshift drain tube into the floorboard. i need to route the plastic tubing through the passenger floorboard. i want to drill a hole somewhere in the passenger floorboard but dont want to mess up any a/c lines or ducts under the floorboard. anybody know where i can drill a 5/8" hole in my floorboard without messing something else up?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%

Model year: 2007
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 111000
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrader View Post
ive got this same problem and i did the hole drilled i the side and connected a clear hose to drain the water if the drain hole gets blocked again. there is a penny in there that i moved when i did this fix.

unfortunately, the drain hole has clogged again causing the water to come out the makeshift drain tube into the floorboard. i need to route the plastic tubing through the passenger floorboard. i want to drill a hole somewhere in the passenger floorboard but dont want to mess up any a/c lines or ducts under the floorboard. anybody know where i can drill a 5/8" hole in my floorboard without messing something else up?
That's a tough call not sure there is a clear spot. Did find a random you tube vid on the subject.
https://youtu.be/uhI6J9f1NYg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in