No Start, 2009, 3.7, 86k mi. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,042, Level: 45 Points: 5,042, Level: 45 Points: 5,042, Level: 45
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150000
No Start, 2009, 3.7, 86k mi.

2 hours before starting a trip, went to start, all the usual dash self check lights come on, turn to the start, and no start, at the airport now, and can't troubleshoot until I return in October.

I have not searched the threads yet, but will over the next 3 months. I wanted to get this started in the case someone has experienced this before. Plenty of time lads...

I did notice when all the lights went out, the engine and some sort of Zorro lightning bolt stayed lit, and of course the oil light, engine light flashed a few times on one attempt. Recent maintenance, engine & tranny oil changes, about a 100 mi. ago. Drove it 3 hours earlier, no issues, but when I was backing in the drive, the bumper sensor beeped, I stopped, but there was nothing behind me. My attempt at a quick fix was to disconnect the battery an reattached, no joy.

Ok, gotta catch the next hop, thanks lads!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The starter motor cranks the motor over, or the starter motor doesn't even engage, or it just clicks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsimone View Post
....went to start, all the usual dash self check lights come on, turn to the start, and no start....

....I did notice when all the lights went out, the engine and some sort of Zorro lightning bolt stayed lit, and of course the oil light, engine light flashed a few times on one attempt....
All that sounds normal, all the dash warning/advisory lights come on for a second as a self test, if the motor does NOT start, then the lights that would stay on or the one you'd get for ignition on with a stalled motor.

The Zorro Lightning Bolt warning light is actually the Throttle Control Warning Light, something is wrong with the drive by wire, or it might be normal for a motor that won't start.

BUT, the Check Engine Light (CEL) flashing is a clue. If the CEL lights and stays lit, it means you have a problem that needs to be repaired, you won't damage the motor if you continue to drive a while with the problem. If the CEL flashes, it means you have a serious problem that might damage the motor if you continue to drive while its flashing. But again, this might have been induced by trying to start a motor that won't start.

Did you do the key dance and get the EVIC to spit out the stored fault codes? That would likely tell you the problem.

If the starter would NOT crank the motor over, it could very well be just the battery. NOT uncommon for it to act like this at the end of its life, provide enough current to make the vehicle act normal, but when you put a big load on it like the starter, it just dies out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Pop the hood, jiggle the cable going from the battery to the starter and try starting it again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Def the starter going out... based on your description.

Join us on Facebook @

2007 BMW 335i Sedan
2006 Jeep Commander Limited HEMI

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Mongo, not home yet but thanks for the response.

From what I remember, starter never tried to engage, don't remember what clicked and what did not, will have to revisit in a few weeks.

What is the key dance sequence for this model?

Someone here mentioned a problem they had once using one key verses the other key, some security feature, ever hear of it? I did have a new key made a few weeks before this issue.

Will connect batt charger for a quick check, but will get a new battery once home as well, sure it is the original 2009 batt. also will check cable/harness connections, ect..

Interesting info here;
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...t=5647&page=14

tkx

Last edited by vjsimone; 10-28-2014 at 04:32 AM. Reason: mistakes edited
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:13 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
Mongo, not home yet but thanks for the response.

From what I remember, starter never tried to engage, don't remember what clicked and what did not, will have to revisit in a few weeks.

What is the key dance sequence for this model?

Someone here mentioned a problem they had once using one key verses the other key, some security feature, ever hear of it? I did have a new key made a few weeks before this issue.

Will connect batt charger for a quick check, but will get a new battery once home as well, sure it is the original 2009 batt. also will check cable/harness connections, ect..

Interesting info here;
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...t=5647&page=14

tkx
It looks like you have found a post regarding the yellow starter wire.

I came here to mention this. The terminal @ the solenoid with the yellow wire is not protected against corrosion. This is an extremely common cause of non start issues. It can be addressed by cutting off the terminal, cleaning the wire, and replacing it with a new one with dielectric grease and heatshrink. Try wiggling this yellow wire and then attempt to start again. If this helps then there is your problem.

On another note my '10 Commander shut itself off while driving yesterday. Tested battery @ 390 CCA (Rated for 650!) Replaced battery and no problems since.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Need Torque Specs for the front drive shaft cap screws ??

Ok lads, back in the country, hooked up the battery, still no starter actuation. Pulled out he jack to check the starter connections, went to pop the hood, gave the key another turn, and she started.

But I am not falling for that mr. jeep. So I cleaned the yellow wire connector, yes lukyse&7ens, I did see the yollow wire issue, thanks. Was corroded but not as bad as I have seen.

I could not get to the connector very well, due to my giant hands. So I dropped the splash pan and pulled the front drive shaft out to get my hands in.

So I loosened up the starter, spun it around and I could get to the connector. cleaned it, tightened it a bit by squeezing the female side a bit. Not enough slack in the wiring harness for me to attempt a terminal lug replacement, lug was in fine shape, just dirty.

Does anyone have the torque specs for the 1/4" head cap screws on the front drive shaft ?? Thanks!

They were not very tight coming out, I have them at 20 ft lbs for now.

Last edited by vjsimone; 12-17-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

4WD
So, off the jacks now, going with the 20ftlbs for now. She is still starting, how will I ever know??

Wonder how many dealerships and garages ripped people off replacing the starter in this case ??

Last edited by vjsimone; 12-17-2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Adding text
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Quote:
So, off the jacks now, going with the 20ftlbs for now. She is still starting, how will I ever know??

Wonder how many dealerships and garages ripped people off replacing the starter in this case ??
A LOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Tags
no start , not turning over , starter , starter connections , starting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in