Boston Acoustic Problem...need some advice - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,937, Level: 39 Points: 3,937, Level: 39 Points: 3,937, Level: 39
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Angry Boston Acoustic Problem...need some advice

Hi all,

I've posted about this before, but it's now just snowballed into something I don't understand. Here it goes.

I bought my Commander, and a few weeks later, noticed a crackling noise coming from my passenger door speaker. It wouldn't happen all the time, and usually, if I turned the stereo off for a bit, then back on, it would be gone.

Ok, so I had that changed. On the way home from the dealer, my dash speakers started. WTF! So, I brought it in again for assessment. I'm not sure what they're doing, or if they've replicated the issue, but I was TOLD the dash speakers were replaced (after having them ordered and the Commander brought back in, again). That being said - when I got it back yesterday, I noticed my Magellan GPS (suction cupped to my windsheild), hadn't even been moved, and it sits almost right on the dash. I though - how could they replace the dash speakers without moving the GPS.

Whatever - I'm over it, I thought. So, last night, on the way out to my Christmas Party, I remote started the Jeep, and before I even get in, I can tell the problem is back, but now, it's ALL my speakers making this loud, ear drum shattering crackling noises - even the rear ones.

SO - before I take it back and leave it there again, and be forced to get shuttled to work, does anyone know of either a similar issue, or something I could check? My Murano had a sub in the back that was factory - is there something accessible on the Jeep that I should look at?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47 Points: 5,487, Level: 47
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

You don't have to take the top of the dash off. You only remove the circular grills immediately above the speakers.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCommander
You don't have to take the top of the dash off. You only remove the circular grills immediately above the speakers.
The gps sits directly over one of them, and it was untouched. They would have HAD to move it to replace it.

Also - my cellphone was at home last night when the buzzing occurred, so I know it has nothing to do with the TSB issued.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
I had a similar...and only similar problem with cell phone noise,even if I didnt have one close by. It came from surrounding vehicles...stopped in traffic. I was picking up the noise from a phone in the car next to me.....I say this because, the noise may be coming from a surrounding source. Or not the cell. It could be from a filter that is missing, has gone bad, or needs to be replaced. find neongts..he is a technician and see what his thoughts are.

When yo get the noise, what is nearby? Is there anything close to you that could be causing the interference? Do you have a seperate amplifier? Can you trace the connections for a short?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7
I had a similar...and only similar problem with cell phone noise,even if I didnt have one close by. It came from surrounding vehicles...stopped in traffic. I was picking up the noise from a phone in the car next to me.....I say this because, the noise may be coming from a surrounding source. Or not the cell. It could be from a filter that is missing, has gone bad, or needs to be replaced. find neongts..he is a technician and see what his thoughts are.

When yo get the noise, what is nearby? Is there anything close to you that could be causing the interference? Do you have a seperate amplifier? Can you trace the connections for a short?

I have a Magellan 4040 GPS with bluetooth handsfree technology. I wonder if that could be the source as it sits on top of the dash speaker. Even when the phone's in my house, it happens, maybe because the GPS is searching for it? I'm at a loss, so any rational reasoning helps.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Points: 2,689, Level: 31 Points: 2,689, Level: 31 Points: 2,689, Level: 31
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

SImple test, just depower the GPs next time it happens.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Points: 5,527, Level: 47 Points: 5,527, Level: 47 Points: 5,527, Level: 47
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

ANDY,
I had 5 trips and almost lemon lawed my commander over the radio. They swapped speakers replaced the radio and the amp (more than once) and the crackling and high pitched squeal came back after loud radio or cd play(no pattern). In the end of a long story thier was a wire grounding out on the under the rear of the vehicle. It was a intermitent hard to find. I went to Chrysler before I filed for lemon law and they traced all the wires for over a week before they found the problem. Food for thought.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I'm thinking it's something like this. When I called the dealership this morning, they told me they had to order new front speakers, and I laughed because that's what they said they replaced on Friday. They had already ordered the speakers...so basically, it just sat there doing f/a. The body shop guy said he's going to replace the whole radio when I spoke with him on the phone. I really don't think that's going to do it, but if it still acts up, I may have to get more info from you so that they can check out the wiring. For the record, I really hope that's not it, lol, cause I've had it undercoated twice.

Thanks Viggihog
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Print this and take it with you........you have support from people that have been thru this before.

May not do you any good, but it may help.....except delete the part about sitting on thier collective F/A ...that might not go over well.....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Points: 5,527, Level: 47 Points: 5,527, Level: 47 Points: 5,527, Level: 47
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

Andy,
The wiring is in the inside of the vehicle. They pulled out the seats and carpet ect... So I don't think it would effect the under coating.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in