Just bought a "new" Commander...what should I know? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,407, Level: 21 Points: 1,407, Level: 21 Points: 1,407, Level: 21
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Just bought a "new" Commander...what should I know?

Just purchased a "new" '06 Commander Limited 4X4 with a Hemi with what I believe to be every option available. I haven't taken delivery of it yet, as they have a few issues to fix before I can take it home. Should have it Tuesday or Wednesday. I've been looking around the forum at all the threads and have learned a lot about the Commander. This is my first Jeep and I'm very excited to drive it. I bought it for casual four-wheeling, towing, and to have another reliable vehicle. But what kinds of things should I expect when owning a Commander? Good or bad. Let's hear it.

BTW, anybody have the option list for this model year? I'd love to know what came standard and what was an option. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81 Points: 16,279, Level: 81
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
You have the Hemi, so if you have the QDII transmission and the rear DVD player you probably have it all. Make sure you can put in 4WD low before taking delivery. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your ride.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,407, Level: 21 Points: 1,407, Level: 21 Points: 1,407, Level: 21
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

Will do, thanks for the tip!!

2006 Limited 4X4 QDII HEMI
Purchased Aug 2014

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Points: 972, Level: 16 Points: 972, Level: 16 Points: 972, Level: 16
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

MPG will suck. Not sure how much you drive but you'll be at the gas station twice per week if you drive a decent amount.

I just got mine January. I have the QDII, HEMI and I've learned if you drive steady around 45 and get the ECO going you're MPG will climb to about 20. I got it as high as 19.6 before I had to stop at a red light.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

I once found a link where I was able to download the build sheet for my Commander but I couldn't find it again to share. I did find this link where you enter your information and you can request a build sheet. Request Build Sheet - Jeep.

As Hulapie said, I too quickly realized the Hemi is a gas guzzler but just keep an eye on the fuel economy during long drives and try to stay as much as possible in Fuel Saver mode and you can definitely see just over 20MPG on the highway. I accomplished it once but you pretty much have to drive like a granny and stay on the far right lane lol. Otherwise Hemis rule and welcome to the club.

2008 Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI QDII
Mods: AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, OME HD Lift w/OME Shocks and Struts, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrains w/Kevlar 255/70R17, JBA Gen 6.7 Upper Control Arms, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Magnaflow cat-back system, Custom Retrofit HID Projectors, LED Conversion Kit for Fog Lights, Rigid Industries D2 LED Driving Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Points: 1,519, Level: 22 Points: 1,519, Level: 22 Points: 1,519, Level: 22
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%

Awesome vehicle. I have an '06 Hemi myself and bought it originally to replace a '91 Suburban with 35" tires and a 6" lift to tow a trailer and off road with. I quickly discovered that i can do all that my chevy did and throw my wife in the passanger seat and take her to a classy resturant as well.
The Hemi is a blast to drive as well.

BTW the only option you probably don't have is the block heater, that seems to be a rare edition even in the Northern states. After last winter, i seriously considered throwing one on, it just presses into a pocket in the side of the block.

Make sure 4W low works, check the inside door handle cups for cracks (easy fix, not a big deal) and any unusual noise. Enjoy the Commander and welcome to the board.

2006 Light Khaki 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4
Black/Light Greystone Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Sirius, MyGiG RER upgrade Trailer Tow Group IV, Trail Rated, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera (Retrofit)
Diablo Tuner 2.5"spacer lift 1.5" wheel spacers.

Last edited by Williker; 08-04-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in